Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A Look at Feminism - From a Different Perspective Watch

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Dark Horse)
    She's not my mother. :confused:

And does anyone actually have anything to add other than customary TSR response number 1?
    You can't argue with something that flawed.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by xelarose)
    Completely agree. Unfortunately I can't rate up at the moment or else I would have.

OP, I think there's so much wrong with your mothers blog post I can't even begin to describe it all. I'm sorry, I know she's your mother but I have to completely disagree.

"My son looks around and he sees *****y, arrogant, malicious women. He sees spoiled greedy women. He sees financially irresponsible women. He sees lazy undisciplined women. (Yes, even in the military; they had to lower the standards so more women could “serve.”) He sees overweight women wearing unflattering clothes that display muffin tops and rolls of fat, who drool over his biceps while telling him that “looks aren’t important.” He sees slutty women who dress to attract men, sleep with the “hot” ones, and denigrate the rest by calling them “creepy.” He sees “competitive” professional women, whose primary tool for getting ahead is the threat of sexual harassment lawsuits. He sees demanding women who expect men to bow and scrape for the privilege of a smile. He sees utterly irrational women whose “self-esteem ” is obscenely disproportionate to their proven worth. He sees women who expect romantic dates and expensive gifts, yet have absolutely nothing of value to contribute to a relationship. He sees women who flirt with their hopeful, geeky JustFriends, barely enough to keep them on a string while simultaneously panting after Alpha Hotties, then run crying back to those JustFriends after being pumped and dumped by said Hotties, “Oh, why can’t more men be nice like you?”

This whole statement is so wrong it makes me want to scream. Has your mother forgotten bad men or good women or both? I can't tell. Her story is compelling to anybody with a mind leaning towards a hatred of women, but peel it back and to me it just looks like a series of generalisations fueled by conservatism and the ridiculous notion she is somehow being 'different' to other women by going against feminism. How clever.

Oh, and for somebody who grew up without her father much in her life, because her mother was brave enough to divorce the father of her children because she saw he enjoyed drink more than his own family, I find your mothers speech on growing up with a single parent very, VERY offensive. Because of the bravery of my hardworking, single mother, I am in a much better place than where I would have been otherwise.
    Thanks. Yeah, this post actually hurt to read. It gave me a quick laugh though. And she was stupid enough to put her email address right beside the rant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons)
    Feminist: One who supports the right of women to have equal legal and social rights as men.

Anyone who is not then technically a feminist, I want nothing to do with. If you're not a feminist, then you're against equality. That is "them v us". Look to the definition, not the sterotype.

Actually, the "concerned mother" just appears to be full of herself. And who said anything about political correctness?

That is incorrect. Since that is the claim, it needs evidence to back it up. That's how debates work. I would not claim that my cat can speak and expect you to hav to come up with the evidence that he can't.

You make the claim, you provide the proof.
    I would never class myself as a feminist, no matter how much pressure the definition exerts. There is just no way I want to be branded with some of the nutters and extremists you have under your banner. The same extremists who drag your whole name through the mud, btw.

There's also quite an unhealthy ego that stems from trying to define yourself through arbitrary words, definitions and phrases. However, that's another debate, for another words.

The person who made the claim is not here, and cannot back it up. You, however, made a claim if your own by saying or implying that it wasn't true. But you didn't back that up either.

ReputationRep:
    You can't argue with something that flawed.
    If an argument is particularly weak and lacking in credibility, it ought to be easier to refute, if anything? Lmao.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harley)
    Does it though? She's offered no evidence of this to support the generalizations she's plucked from thin air. While some individual women may act like that, that doesn't mean she should tar everyone with the same brush or that it's feminism's fault.

The fact that she begins by stating that apparently half of women these days were raised without fathers and that their dads were kicked out (yes, single parent families exist but in my experience it's just as likely to be due to the dad not wanting the kid or the couple simply breaking up) doesn't bode well for the accuracy of the rest of the article.

Plus the patronizing language she uses really doesn't help make me respect her points.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As many as 2 in 5 marriages now end in divorce.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I would never class myself as a feminist, no matter how much pressure the definition exerts. There is just no way I want to be branded with some of the nutters and extremists you have under your banner. The same extremists who drag your whole name through the mud, btw.

There's also quite an unhealthy ego that stems from trying to define yourself through arbitrary words, definitions and phrases. However, that's another debate, for another words.

The person who made the claim is not here, and cannot back it up. You, however, made a claim if your own by saying or implying that it wasn't true. But you didn't back that up either.
    Oh, because I totally had never heard of FemiNazis. :rolleyes: Thanks for alerting me.

That is merely the definition. Unhealthy or no.

No, refuting a claim is not the same as making one. The original claimant should always provide evidence, the challenger needs merely to poke holes in it.

However, I'll oblige.

The patriarchy helped men by allowing them to vote, to rape their wives, to own businesses, to control finances, to control whole damn countries. Whereas it controlled women.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    If an argument is particularly weak and lacking in credibility, it ought to be easier to refute, if anything? Lmao.
    No, because anyone that stupid is clearly beyond reason. It's like trying to argue with Neo-Nazis. Does not compute.

Have you found your ass yet?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    As many as 2 in 5 marriages now end in divorce.
    Yes, but she's claiming that is all the fault of women. It isn't.

ReputationRep:
    However, since men could vote, that pretty much means they had a lot more power than women. The PATriarchy certainly cared more for the opinions of men than women.

No, women were just forced out of education, into marriages, into having children, out of jobs, into sex (wasn't rape if you were married until 1994 in the UK), out of the vote, out of technology...

It wasn't beneficial to women. It kept them controlled.

But yes. All her points were utter BS and she merely came across as an utter ranting idiot.
    Although not Everyman could vote either, as only the upper classes could vote. And in some places male and female suffrage movements succeedretty close to each other. Also, as women are the majority of the voters they therefore hold most power. Look how well Romney's campaign went after he stated his contraception and abortion views.

The 'patriarchy' kept everyone controlled as it forced everyone into their gender roles. Which is why feminine men are mocked back then and to this day. Hell even now rape isn't gender neutral in the law, as technically only men can do the raping.

As said beforehand, the only people the rich men cared about were their selves and other rich men.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, because I totally had never heard of FemiNazis. :rolleyes: Thanks for alerting me.

That is merely the definition. Unhealthy or no.

No, refuting a claim is not the same as making one. The original claimant should always provide evidence, the challenger needs merely to poke holes in it.

However, I'll oblige.

The patriarchy helped men by allowing them to vote, to rape their wives, to own businesses, to control finances, to control whole damn countries. Whereas it controlled women.
    The patriarchy either did more for men, or did more for women. If you refute the claim that it did more for women than men then that is exactly the same (for all intents and purposes) as to say that it, in fact, did more for men than women. I'm guessing you realise this and hence you chose to oblige, lmao.

To say "it helped men" is flawed. Not every man owned a business, raped his wife, controlled finances or owned countries. In fact, living conditions for everyone during such bygone eras were pretty poor.

Glad you've heard of FemiNazis. Be wary of becoming one, lol.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by bottled)
    Although not Everyman could vote either, as only the upper classes could vote. And in some places male and female suffrage movements succeedretty close to each other. Also, as women are the majority of the voters they therefore hold most power. Look how well Romney's campaign went after he stated his contraception and abortion views.

The 'patriarchy' kept everyone controlled as it forced everyone into their gender roles. Which is why feminine men are mocked back then and to this day. Hell even now rape isn't gender neutral in the law, as technically only men can do the raping.

As said beforehand, the only people the rich men cared about were their selves and other rich men.
    No, but since at least some men could vote, that gave them more power than women. And Hell, Romney isn't my concern, if I'm talking about th patriarchy I'm referring to the time period this nutter was talking about - before the feminist movement.

Oh of course. It wasn't sprinkles and roses for men either. But it was in many ways better than it was for women.

I actually fully support the gender neutralisation of rape under UK law.

ReputationRep:
    No, because anyone that stupid is clearly beyond reason. It's like trying to argue with Neo-Nazis. Does not compute.

Have you found your ass yet?
    In other words, you have nothing, lmao.

Yes, but she's claiming that is all the fault of women. It isn't.
    Everything you say has an element of gender war about it, tbh. :\
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    The patriarchy either did more for men, or did more for women. If you refute the claim that it did more for women than men then that is exactly the same (for all intents and purposes) as to say that it, in fact, did more for men than women. I'm guessing you realise this and hence you chose to oblige, lmao.

To say "it helped men" is flawed. Not every man owned a business, raped his wife, controlled finances or owned countries. In fact, living conditions for everyone during such bygone eras were pretty poor.

Glad you've heard of FemiNazis. Be wary of becoming one, lol.
    A hundred years ago in this country, men were helped far more by the patriarchy than women. That's really irrefutable. Yes, many people had poor lives. But it is a fact that men had more power than women. Women were not helped by the patriarchy as much as men. That's why it's the PATriarchy.

I love men, so the chances of me becoming one are pretty ****ing slim.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    In other words, you have nothing, lmao.

Everything you say has an element of gender war about it, tbh. :\
    I've had this debate about fifty times on this site. I've given evry single argument. You don't have one. You've never given an argument on this thread. Merely mocked anyone who thinks this nutjob is insane.

No, it doesn't. I don't hate men, they're great. They're not the enemy, they're an ally. Get it through your head.

ReputationRep:
    A hundred years ago in this country, men were helped far more by the patriarchy than women. That's really irrefutable. Yes, many people had poor lives. But it is a fact that men had more power than women. Women were not helped by the patriarchy as much as men. That's why it's the PATriarchy.

I love men, so the chances of me becoming one are pretty ****ing slim.
    None of this is backed up by anything.

ReputationRep:
    I've had this debate about fifty times on this site. I've given evry single argument. You don't have one. You've never given an argument on this thread. Merely mocked anyone who thinks this nutjob is insane.

No, it doesn't. I don't hate men, they're great. They're not the enemy, they're an ally. Get it through your head.
    Nope, I've asked them to back things up instead of just declaring something as untrue on the strength of their knee-jerk reactions.

I doubt that was written by a woman.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    None of this is backed up by anything.
    I've just given you the back up. Are you really that forgetful?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Nope, I've asked them to back things up instead of just declaring something as untrue on the strength of their knee-jerk reactions.
    No, if something is untrue it's untrue. The patriarchy did not help women as much as it helped men. That's evident in the laws in plac to restrict women but enable men. The evidence backs up my claim, not hers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    I doubt that was written by a woman.
    Hey, men can support "feminism". Should hardly be surprising that some women oppose "feminism".

I've just given you the back up. Are you really that forgetful?
    We must have different opinions on what evidence actually is? All you've really done is stated your opinion as if it were a fact, whilst simultaneously assuring us that you love men and are not a Feminazi, lmao.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.