Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is this new fashion to wear fake glasses offensive? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's being offensive to people who wear glasses. If anything, it's taking what used to be a physical turn off for society and turning into a fashion trend - that has to be positive right?

It is a bit douchey to wear fake glasses though...

ReputationRep:
    I don't find it offensive but those idiots who take the lenses out of 3D cinema glasses....
    :doh:

ReputationRep:
    It's not offensive at all, it just looks plain daft to see someone wearing glasses with no lenses in them!

Fashion is a fickle thing ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ronove)
    I never said I or anyone else was disabled. I was responding to what you said in your post. Disregarding that fact, what you just said makes no logical sense. 'This person has a harder time of it, therefore you are not disabled'. There are people who are totally bedridden due to disability - does this mean your friend isn't disabled either now?

Some people can't even wear contacts. I've had times where I've been told to stop wearing them for a while due to the risk of going blind from the damage they can do to your eyes. And if someone's contacts 'hurt their eyes a bit' at all beyond the first ten minutes of putting them in, they're not going to be able to wear them. It is impossible to get on with day to day life with stinging eyes.
    My point made perfect sense, you twisted what I was saying. You said you were unable to do things, that to me is you saying you are disabled. I wasn't saying that just because she has a harder time that was why you weren't disabled. I was giving an example regarding when someone has to do something that is difficult or uncomfortable in order to reduce their disability (like using contacts or glasses). It doesn't mean that shes not disabled, it means she is more able.

I know that some people can't wear contacts due to discomfort or expense but in my opinion (which I am entitled to), I don't see poor eyesight as a disability unless you are blind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beckyweck)
    I'm not saying you're wrong or anything but there are loads of people who aren't as disabled as her but are still disabled. My friend is in a wheelchair, so it's not like I'm totally clueless about these things.

Genuine question, not just to you but to anyone, is it counted as disabled to be on the autism spectrum?
    I wasn't saying that you had to be in a position like hers to be disabled in any way. I was giving an example in response to the other girl's reply regarding a situation where someone has to do something difficult or uncomfortable to reduce their disability.

With regards to autism, its to be a mental disability so different to what we're discussing here.

ReputationRep:
    It's more of a 'steer-clear' indicator tbh, as well as an invitation to poke them in the eye and act surprised when there is no glass there

ReputationRep:
    If you get offended by this, you're an idiot. It's a stupid look, but it's hardly offensive :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Offensive? Bloody hell, people find it very easy to get offended nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    oh here we ****ing go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Did you really just say wearing glasses is a disability?

It does raise the question of where exactly you draw the line between what is a disability and what isn't though. I presume the reason you naturally think needing glasses is not a disability (whereas needing a wheelchair is), is because so many more people wear glasses than use wheelchairs?

Lots of people need extra help to get on in their lives, because their bodies can't do what someone's else can. That help might come from glasses, hearing aids, pace makers, hip joint replacements, prosthetic limbs, wheelchairs, life support machines etc. And it's difficult to come up with a precise definition of disability which will conclusively specify which of these examples should cause someone to be classified as disabled.

ReputationRep:
    Even the princesses are doing it now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure offended is the right word, but it really irritates me. I wear glasses and hate them - not least of which because they constantly remind me they prevented me getting the one job I have wanted since I was about 5 years old. I'd do anything to get rid of them so it does grate a little that other people wear them when they don't need to.

At the end of the day though, I've got other things to worry about first!

ReputationRep:
    What's offensive, is the new craze of girls (mainly) wearing GEEK t-shirts suddenly thinking it is cool to be a "geek", when they just are not by any definition.
    Surely that is offensive to real geeks? I have to roll my eyes.

A girl at work was wearing one, and I just had to say "Surely I should be the one wearing that" haha.

ReputationRep:
    im shortsighted.

they look like pricks but its really not offensive in the slightest. its just a fad that people will get over, and then realise they were just as fashionable as cycle shorts and fanny packs.

ReputationRep:
    Come on now this thread is ridiculous who could possible find this offensive... They may look absolutely atrocious but i seriously doubt they are offending anyone

ReputationRep:
    No, I'd say it would be more of a compliment!

ReputationRep:
    I wear glasses, and I see what you mean. But in my opinion people wearing fake glasses is not offensive. But if something has glasses on it and it says "nerdy", then it can be offending. This kind of stuff is seen at many jewelry stores, and I just ignore it. Who ever thinks that kind of thing is "cool" or "in" does have their own opinion, but that still doesn't mean that is not offensive. Enough said.

ReputationRep:
    No it's not offensive.

But they look like utter knobheads :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KitterKatGirl)
    I wear glasses, and I see what you mean. But in my opinion people wearing fake glasses is not offensive. But if something has glasses on it and it says "nerdy", then it can be offending. This kind of stuff is seen at many jewelry stores, and I just ignore it. Who ever thinks that kind of thing is "cool" or "in" does have their own opinion, but that still doesn't mean that is not offensive. Enough said.
    I thought this thread had died a death. :P
    I too wear glasses, though now I wear contacts. But it just made me think of all the kids who got bullied for wearing glasses before it was cool which is what made create the thread in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    I've never thought glasses were cool or fashionable, so this practice of wearing faux glasses is lost on me. Those people should be sentenced to a lifetime in Glasses Hell!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.