Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Best investments watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    Real estate, gold/other precious metals.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    It's actually quite funny the touching faith people have in commodities. Any of you aware that the market can just as easily turn violently down??

(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Will he be using consultants, or going out shopping in the commercial property sector on his teenage ownesomes? :rolleyes:
    Considering you appear to have suggested he buys a house, I have no idea why you are having a go at me for my opinion on the matter when I could just as easily slate yours, both options are viable, it just depends how much time and effort he wants to put into it although at the end of the day, the stock market is his best bet not a house as you seem to think:
    Therefore getting involved in house purchase would appear to be the best bet.
    I don't think buying a house is the best bet at all, there are many options and out of them all I would not say a house (or commercial property to an extent, again depends on effort he is willing to put into research) is a sound bet.

The stock market offers bigger returns albeit for a much larger risk and in terms of making money if he follows the markets, he has more chance of making money than he does with a house (or commercial property) in which he needs extra money to fund.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehFrance)
    Considering you appear to have suggested he buys a house, I have no idea why you are having a go at me for my opinion on the matter when I could just as easily slate yours, both options are viable, it just depends how much time and effort he wants to put into it although at the end of the day, the stock market is his best bet not a house as you seem to think:

I don't think buying a house is the best bet at all, there are many options and out of them all I would not say a house (or commercial property to an extent, again depends on effort he is willing to put into research) is a sound bet.

The stock market offers bigger returns albeit for a much larger risk and in terms of making money if he follows the markets, he has more chance of making money than he does with a house (or commercial property) in which he needs extra money to fund.
    Reading previous "advice" from you on these threads, I suggest you are talking about having large capital at your disposal. Playing the markets is generally not great advice for people starting out with limited sums to invest. House purchase is a great idea for a young person with limited funds trying to get a stake in society and build the conditions for a good life, instead of gambling it away on schemes aimed at rich people who can afford losses on some spare capital.

Reading previous "advice" from you on these threads, I suggest you are talking about having large capital at your disposal. Playing the markets is generally not great advice for people starting out with limited sums to invest. House purchase is a great idea for a young person with limited funds trying to get a stake in society and build the conditions for a good life, instead of gambling it away on schemes aimed at rich people who can afford losses on some spare capital.
    You suggest I am talking about those with large capital? :rofl:

£20,000 is not limited funds, limited funds is £5,000 and I have seen people invest such amounts and gradually grow their portfolio. The OP with £20,000 and careful research can also do the same. It isn't rocket science. As for schemes, what schemes are you referring? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't pay more than £1.50 for a transaction fee to pay into a fund, whether managed or passive. Ideally, you won't pay any transaction fee at all. On a £20k investment, £1.50 is 0.00075%. Hardly the end of the world. Granted, you'd probably want five or so funds, and you'd probably want to drip feed the money in a bit, but as long as you're investing at least £100 each time, the transaction fee will pale in comparison to the long term returns you would expect. All other fees are percentage based, so whether you're investing £20k or 20p makes no difference.

ReputationRep:
    You suggest I am talking about those with large capital? :rofl:

£20,000 is not limited funds, limited funds is £5,000 and I have seen people invest such amounts and gradually grow their portfolio. The OP with £20,000 and careful research can also do the same. It isn't rocket science. As for schemes, what schemes are you referring? :holmes:
    OK, please state how you will enter the commercial property market with £20K? You are talking about commercial property, or about something else? Managed funds that invest in commercial property? Equities of commercial property companies? What exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Invest in your child's future..

:sexface:

Posted from TSR Mobile

OK, please state how you will enter the commercial property market with £20K? You are talking about commercial property, or about something else? Managed funds that invest in commercial property? Equities of commercial property companies? What exactly?
    I did say he would need to get additional funds to meet the requirements for a downpayment, just as he would should he buy a house. You seem to be going on a tangent without actually reading what I have said as I mentioned nothing of schemes anywhere and yet that is what you took away from it, G-d knows why.

ReputationRep:
    I have complete faith that if you follow the markets and make regular trades to reflect the market trends you can make money and one day perhaps the dividends will be something to start to build up wealth to reinvest
    Well yes, that's the basis of sensible share trading, but unfortunately raw access to emerging markets, nevermind canny market insights, is beyond most UK investors (or at the very least more difficult/costly for us), nevermind newbie student investors

France which is going down the pan rapidly (the country is basically broke and I believe there has been a 60€billion capital flight although it could be a lot higher now)
    Agreed, regime change has ****ed France, almost feel sorry for the frogs.. almost

As for savings accounts, from what I remember you'd actually lose money in this country if you put your money into a savings account[
    There are still regular saver accounts e.g. this one that can beat inflation on paper, but you're limited in how much you can put in and are often required to hold another account with them, which can render the initiative fairly pointless once related charges are taken into account

since the recession hit the UK in 2008 you would have lost £2 for £10 in savings
    20% erosion of capital over 5 years sounds about right:

ReputationRep:
    Start trading futures...that is if you have enough time to do so and enough time to learn. Can take 3-12 months to learn, but once you have you can trade for a few hours a day (from 2.30pm to 5pm or 6pm) and you can make more than enough money to live off. You could even quit your current job!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.