Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanvyj)
    I always wanted to write so I just started one day... Set up a Wordpress and just started typing.

My spelling is atrocious and I've never had any formal training or anything like that (last English education was GCSE) but I seem to be getting good feedback.

It's not like I'm trying to publish and make a bunch of money - I just quite like writing and putting it up and having people read it forces me to keep going and try keep the standards high!

(link in the sig if you are interested...)
    Thanks! I will deffinetly check it out!, I dont want to do it as a living or anything, I just have some good ideas and would like to do somthing with them lol

Wether people like em or not remains to be seen xD

cheers tho!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark85)
    What is certain is that you can vastly improve as a writer. There are two main ways to do this:

1) Write more.
    2) Read more.

What is fundamentally important is that you learn to read and write critically. In short this means that you should learn about the technical aspects of writing and be concious of them as you are reading and writing. Of course, when I say the technical aspects of writing, I am not talking about spelling, punctuation and grammar. You can improve those easily by practice and consulting references whenever you are unsure. The technical aspects of writing I am referring to are things like stylistic devices, tone, characterisation, plotting etc. etc.

You can go pretty far without any formal study but by just having the attitude to stop and think about what you are reading and to consider what the author is trying to convey and how they are doing that.

At the same time, you need to sit down for an hour a day (or whatever time you have) and just develop your ideas and just write. Don't worry too much about how good it is at first. Just actually write something and then go back and try to evaluate it later and correct any mistakes and gradually improve what you have written. For most people, the largest proportion of writing time is spent re-writing and editing. For this, you have to have raw material to start off with.

I am by no means a great writer but I have published several technical articles and also have had to write a lot for work and I have had to pick up a lot on the way in terms of developing style and fluency. Looking back, I can definitely say that I am a much better writer today than I was, say, five years ago.
    Great Answer! I think this has really answered the core of what I wanted to know thanks!

Because like I said I have a ton of ideas, I just never really use or apply them to anything, feels somewhat wastefull xD

ReputationRep:
    If your stuff is good enough, a decent editor can take care of spelling, punctuation and grammar for you, but obviously the better you are at it the more of an advantage you'll have. Really, the only thing holding you back is the fact that you haven't just gone out and done it.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeM90)
    Thanks! I will deffinetly check it out!, I dont want to do it as a living or anything, I just have some good ideas and would like to do somthing with them lol

Wether people like em or not remains to be seen xD

cheers tho!
    Yeah that's exactly how I felt. I say just jump right in and start putting pen to paper.

You should check out here. They accept short story collections. A nice place to gather a few like-minded readers and It's not too big.

I'm still at the stage where having someone actually read my stuff is pretty scary... My traffic peaked at 117 views and 16 visitors in one day . 16 people! lol. It has made me keep at it though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeM90)
    Ok, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and just ask somthing that has been plaguing my mind for years, literally..

I have alway been interested in creative writing, poetry and short stories in partiqular, and like to think I am a pretty creative person (I have ideas comming out of everywhere imagineable) but what I lack is the skills to carry out creative work,

I.e. Im not very artistic, I cant play an instrument, my handwriting is terrible and my spelling, punctuation and grammar is often bad or misplaced, the list could continue..

That being said I still have tons of ideas for just about anything I think of, ok whether they are good or not isnt completely up to me but the fact is I have them! by the bucketload I have them!

What I am asking for is advice, I feel like my current job while good, is wasting my hidden talents, is there anyway I can make use of these ideas and talents on the side?

Could I potentially be a successful writer (even at an amateur level) regardless of how bad my punctuality, spelling and grammar is?

I just love comming up with stories, phrases, poems, ideas and would really like to do somthing constructive with them, more so than just writing them down.

If you have read all this I would like to thank you for that! but please if anyone has any ideas or advice on what I could do, please voice them because I would really appreciate some input!
    Haven't read the entire thread, but if you want to be a GOOD writer, then there's one easy way to improve.

Read.

Read some more.

And when you're finished reading, read some more.

Reading exposes you to a various number of styles, increases your vocabulary, and will make you a better writer.

I NEVER took a writer course in my life, but recently won a small (but still important) short story contest. My skills were honed simply by reading widely when I was younger. I'm talking about thousands of fiction and non fiction books, magazines, newspapers, etc. It didn't matter the genre, I would read it. Also helped that my father has a wide collection of books.

If you want to become a good writer, you NEED to read widely.

That's just step one though

ReputationRep:
    I think that anyone can write, but I think it comes more naturally to some people, as they just ooze great ideas. I've always struggled with coming up with ideas, and have found my writing is almost workmanlike, as I'm just the least creative person.

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I understand you.

With me I;m bursting with ideas sometimes, but when it's written on paper it sounds rubbish. And I feel rubbish about my work. With me it's not necessarily spelling, but just expressing myself in the way I want!

ReputationRep:
    Not everybody can write, but everyone can try, and writing is very much fun !!! Most starting writers begin with a short story, ( fo example a story wich takes 12 minutes to tell in speech ) cause thats easier ( for example Stephen King, started his first 10 stories like that, extremely short )

And later on u can also follow a ( profesional ) workshop about writing !!!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone can be a writer, it's free. Furthermore, unless you have extenuating circumstances you should find that if you read a lot your technical errors practically clean themselves up, and reading will also make you a better writer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grannylovers)
    Not everybody can write, but everyone can try, and writing is very much fun !!! Most starting writers begin with a short story, ( fo example a story wich takes 12 minutes to tell in speech ) cause thats easier ( for example Stephen King, started his first 10 stories like that, extremely short )

And later on u can also follow a ( profesional ) workshop about writing !!!
    I don't think it is at all true that it is easier to write a good short story then to write a good novel (which I am assuming was your tacitly implied alternative relative to your 'easier').

They are just different forms albeit one is smaller in scale and can be completed quicker.

ReputationRep:
    yes, i could be wrong...

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered creative corner threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.