Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be some serious babies on here. Yes, they're kinda painful but it's a dull pain so you get used to it and can still concentrate on other things. After a few days you'll barely notice them. The younger you are when you get your teeth sorted, the sooner they'll adjust. Now that you've got your adult teeth, you've gotta keep them in the best condition possible, so the sooner you get them, the better. Orthodontists are often really busy so if you put them off, it might take a while to get another slot when you can have them fitted.

Take plenty of ibuprofen and you'll get through it easily enough. Have a decent supply of it so you can take it every 4 hours.

ReputationRep:
    - Yes they hurt but nothing you would every cry about. It's more like a headache in your mouth if you can imagine that. Paracetemol easily solves the problem.

- I had mine put on during my A Level exams and I still got A's so i'm sure you can cope at GCSE.

- Alongside paracetemol, get brace wax/gum!! The bobbles on the braces are harsh on the skin inside your mouth at first and can sometimes cut them or dig in. If you stick brace wax on them it will soften it and stop this from happening (especially if you sleep in a faceplant position like I do)

- yep that's pretty much it; you'll be fine; you can still revise

ReputationRep:
    I lived off baked beans, mushy peas and yogurts for about 2 days after I had them on. It hurts for a little bit but have some paracetemols/ibuprofens every few hours and keep yourself busy so you just forget about them. I dont think it would affect revision very much, it'll go after a few days.

ReputationRep:
    Dude i'm sorry to say that they do hurt, just not to the same extend as your imagination is telling you. I'll explain, some people told me it was excruciating others told me to man up. The only real pain is on the first day of wearing and then a couple of days for eating.

The first day you don't even feel any pain immediately. It's after a couple of hours. What I did was just go to sleep and I took paracetamol. The real pain is eating. It really hurts due to the pressure so just eat things like soup for a couple of days. Then the pain is non existent The next time your braces will hurt is when they tighten them on your next appointment but understand that with each visit the pain is less and less.

The only real pain after is not physical as you have to learn a few things and change a couple of habits you may have. Don't worry, you will learn naturally even without advice as you learn what is good for your teeth or not. For example, your breath will stink like sh*t. Also food gets stuck in your mouth which is annoying even if you do carry a tooth brush around with you. I didn't bother with the 3 brushes thing. All that matters is that you clean your teeth well.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    i had them, they arent that bad. at first it feels like pressure, obvs as they are pushing your teeth around, which feels a bit like a painful dull ache. but that only lasts for a day or two, then like the other person said its like wearing a watch. only when you get them tightened do they hurt again. but you can just take paracetamol for it, its no biggie. certainly wont hinder revision/exams. also someone said about ulcers-i didnt get any.
    personally mine hurt more after they got removed. the problem with me is that my jaw is too small - my teeth dont fit. i only had mine on for 6 months (like the minimum amount), when they had only just realigned. i got a plastic retainer to wear at night, but when i took it off in the day my teeth moved back so they hurt, then they were forced to move again at night with the retainer and so on. took maybe 4/5 months before my retainer wouldnt fit at all. now my teeth are exactly the same as they were before (plus a bit extra from where just the one wisdom tooth has come through lol)

ReputationRep:
    I had braces a few years ago, they never really bothered me. There was a bit of pain for a few days (max 3) when I first had them on and whenever they were tightened. They won't bother your revision at all, It was never painful that I couldn't do or think about anything else. Funnily enough you will get used to them and it will feel weird without them when you get them off.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 3, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.