Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Really embarrassing muscles Watch

ReputationRep:
    IIFYM. You can still eat Indian foods if you wish as long as the protein and fiber requirements are met, although if it's full of a lot bad fats and carbs it's not good for long term/cardiovascular health.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah once you join a gym hopefully it will be a catalyst for you to sort out your diet. What's your average daily meal plan like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    There's plenty of other vegetarian foods that's packed with protein and essential vitamins. Obviously it's not going to be as protein dense as a salmon fillet, steak or turkey however, it's still possible to be a muscular vegetarian. What kind of Indian foods do you eat? I eat loads of Indian vegetarian dishes (lentils, dal, chick peas, saag etc). Do you eat a lot of ghee, roti and things like that? If so I would avoid those and start eating wholemeal carbohydrates with your protein meals. If you're as skinny as you describe then I would not bother counting calories etc and just eat eat eat (spread your meals throughout the day, never feel hungry). If you want to snack then eat things like hummus, nuts, peanut butter and cottage cheese). Avoid Indian sweets (I know they're delicious) however, they are full of ****. If you eat good foods (use healthy fat oils like Olive oil instead of butter in your Indian dishes) then you should start to grow. Join a decent gym, don't be scared, focus on the compound movements (squat, dead-lift, presses) and eventually adapt a training regime that suits you. Do not use your diet as an excuse, I'm Indian and at 9% bodyfat 75kg, granted I eat meat and use protein supplements/creatine etc however, sometimes I can go for weeks living on Indian food).

Peace brah x
    This guy has pretty much explained it well.

Simply put, just:

- eat healthy
    - eat plenty of protein rich food (there are non-vegetarian options) and take protein supplements to make up for any deficits.
    - focus on compound exercises to start off with for full body workout
    - eat lots

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    IIFYM. You can still eat Indian foods if you wish as long as the protein and fiber requirements are met, although if it's full of a lot bad fats and carbs it's not good for long term/cardiovascular health.
    Love your sig video brah, one of my favourite tracks in the gym.

ReputationRep:
    you are going to find it extremely difficult to put on muscle mass without eating eggs or meat or fish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    Love your sig video brah, one of my favourite tracks in the gym.
    Same brah get pumped as **** with the zyzz soundtracks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bronze00)
    you are going to find it extremely difficult to put on muscle mass without eating eggs or meat or fish
    Protein is Protein whether you get it from fruits, vegetables, nuts or eggs, meat and fish.

Just like how calories are calories whether you get them from just eating 3000 kcal worth of brocolli or 3000 kcal worth of Mcdonald's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ce303ce303)
    How do you expect to grow muscle if you don't eat any protein?
    You can get protein from other food sources such as soybean and lentils, however if possible I think the OP should begin to eat fish and eggs to increase their protein intake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)
    Protein is Protein whether you get it from fruits, vegetables, nuts or eggs, meat and fish.

Just like how calories are calories whether you get them from just eating 3000 kcal worth of brocolli or 3000 kcal worth of Mcdonald's.
    It's harder to get the full amino profile from non-meat as none of them are complete. Shouldn't be too hard though. Research, eat a variety of sources. There are some massive dudes on vegetarian diets so you have no excuse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    It's harder to get the full amino profile from non-meat as none of them are complete. Shouldn't be too hard though. Research, eat a variety of sources. There are some massive dudes on vegetarian diets so you have no excuse.
    It's harder of course but it's doable. It's also that you will have to eat huge quantities of vegetables/fruits etc because of how many little calories they have per servings compared to meats.

OP I also assume you don't drink milk?

ReputationRep:
    You should look into vegan protein shakes, they definitely exist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspiring1)
    I'm not going to start eating meat. I just want to know is it normal for people who have been vegetarian all of their life to be like this when starting out or is there something especially wrong with me?
    I've not eaten any meat all my life though I do have eggs, cheese, milk etc. and I've recently been putting on muscle (my body seems to respond well to training) just so you're not worried that it's impossible. I'm not about to tell you to eat meat but perhaps it's a good idea to start eating dairy and eggs.

Protein supplements is not something I'd go down but I know lots of people do, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to try.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a vegan and have done volunteering for the Vegan Society and know this is a worry for a lot of people. There's plenty of protein sources that are both more ethical and often more healthy than animal-sourced products. Beans are your best friends and provide a substantial amount of protein, as do chickpeas for example. Look it up here (http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm#table2) or ask me on PM if you have any more questions.

ReputationRep:
    should I take protein supplements? Can someone please tell me what creatine is?
    Don't worry about creatine, just start getting protein, lift weights and get on dat bulking time

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Start lifting - high weights, low reps. Make sure you get enough rest too (obviously) and change your diet (at least take protein shakes if nothing else. Without protein you won't make any gains whatsoever, it's bad for you even if you're doing no exercise).

ReputationRep:
    your single problem bro is your diet.

You can lift as much as you want but if you're not getting that muscle-repairing protein in, you will not be able to increase muscle size as the protein from the foods you dont eat (eggs, meat etc.) cannot feed your broken down muscles.

As for your previous post about creatine, I would not even look at this until you can find a reliable and constant source of protein to feed your body.

(But if you really do want to know, creatine is a newly found product that has been proven to increase strength and size in a short amount of time. It has been compared to the steroids without the horrific potential side effects. As with many supplements, their effects differ from person to person. Personally with the creatine I use, it retains small amount of water weight which adds the slight bulk and has significantly increased my strength gains. Your best bet if you want the science behind it is use google)

As for your arm size, do not be embarrassed. Everybody starts somewhere, even Arnold S. was a thin youth at one point in his life. The best thing you can do is concentrate on two things: your diet and your training routine if you are serious in increasing your weight/muscle size.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know what to do. I feel quite hopeless. I feel too embarrassed to go to the gym. Can someone please give me some advice.
    I could tell you that there are loads of skinny young men in the gym and you won't stand out but although this is true - it probably isn't what you need to hear.

What you need is to kick yourself up the arse. If you want to change something, you have to do something about it without making excuses and feeling sorry for yourself. Don't be embarrassed to go to the gym - your goal is to improve yourself - not to compete. Just go, concentrate on your own thing and stop worrying about comparing yourself to other people. Think of success purely in terms of improving what you can do.

ReputationRep:
    Hello all.

I will start off with some information about myself.
    I am 21, male and have been a lacto vegetarian (no meat, fish or eggs) for all of my life.

I have always found that my muscles, especially my arm muscles are extremely weak. When you feel them, there is literally NOTHING there. I guess its what you imagine a child's arms would be like.

I tried doing some weights today... I tried to curl 5kg dumbells. I was able to do it with my right arm, but my left arm couldn't do one curl without using my entire arm.

In regards to my triceps, don't get my started, they are even weaker.

As for my diet... its not great, its a pretty unhealthy indian diet.

I really don't know what to do. I feel quite hopeless. I feel too embarrassed to go to the gym. Can someone please give me some advice.

thank you.
    Your problem is a huge lack of protein. Protein is what makes muscles grow and you get it from....meat, eggs etc, so your diet has meant you've had none.

ReputationRep:
    it's a protein and amino-acids.
    The former exist also in nuts/vegetarian food, but the quantity is pretty low.
    Still- it would be much better if you would go on normal diet, i.e. one that includes meat.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.