Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

New Daft Punk album! (Random Access Memories) - May 20th Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    It wasn't? That's surprising.
    Loved Get Lucky, personally. I can't really understand all the hate.

GQ Interview

Daft Punk say EDM is in crisis.
    No it wasn't it was number 2.

I don't think many are hating it tbh just a few. Plus I only see people praising it on youtube. It's certainly not my favorite but it's brilliant

ReputationRep:
    Certainly can be summed up as Funk. I think it's a bit different to most of Daft Punk's stuff, a bit less techno?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hype en Ecosse)
    It wasn't? That's surprising.
    Loved Get Lucky, personally. I can't really understand all the hate.

GQ Interview

Daft Punk say EDM is in crisis.
    I don't know if DP know much about modern electronic music. It's quite obviously thriving at the moment, but it's in the underground.

(Original post by Anniestasia)
    Certainly can be summed up as Funk. I think it's a bit different to most of Daft Punk's stuff, a bit less techno?
    Daft Punk have never been techno, but given it's more back to the roots of funk/disco with an actual drum kit rather than processed beats.

I think it's a great song personally, you can have your expectations unrealistically high for something when in reality you aren't going to get much more than this type of quality with them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    I don't know if DP know much about modern electronic music. It's quite obviously thriving at the moment, but it's in the underground.

Daft Punk have never been techno, but given it's more back to the roots of funk/disco with an actual drum kit rather than processed beats.

I think it's a great song personally, you can have your expectations unrealistically high for something when in reality you aren't going to get much more than this type of quality with them.
    If they're not techno they're at least electronic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anniestasia)
    If they're not techno they're at least electronic?
    Electronic covers basically anything with electronic means so yeah they're electronic, but it's such a vague term just like rock, metal, dance etc. They're more house more than anything if you are going to try to classify them into a tighter category. They are pioneers of a movement known as French House as you may know. I would never personally call them Techno. Anything they did from Discovery onwards is 100% not techno anyway!

Loving Get Lucky! :gah: Definitely looking forward to the new album

ReputationRep:
    Panda Bear collaborated on the album; what more could you want?

Amazing. :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    I'm really not understanding this Daft Punk hype at all

I think the song is absolutely terrible, just like most other songs in the charts

ReputationRep:
    GOT IT.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You can stream it all from iTunes for free just now! SO AWESOME!!! :excited:

ReputationRep:
    Got a download

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stream it on iTunes. So worth it.

Approx. tracklist (admittedly stolen from reddit):
    Give Life Back To Music - 0:00
    The Game of Love - 4:34
    Giorgio by Moroder - 9:56
    Within - 19:00
    Instant Crush - 22:48
    Lose Yourself to Dance - 28:25
    Touch - 34:18
    Get Lucky - 42:36
    Beyond - 48:45
    Motherboard - 53:35
    Fragments of Time - 59:16
    Doin' it Right - 1: 03:55
    Contact - 1: 08:06

ReputationRep:
    In terms of guests- Julian Casablancas is Instant Crush & Pharrell is Lose Yourself To Dance (in addition to Get Lucky). Not sure on the others.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The final song on RAM, Contact, is just the bee's knees. I can't wait to get my mitts on a copy and play it over and over again

ReputationRep:
    Listened to it yesterday, alas i was quite ill and also got exams around the corner (finish on 20th), so i think i might try not to listen to it until then again.

My thoughts well it gradually deteriorated for me as it went on which i put down to my headache.

Loved the first 2 songs, and can't wait for the 20th to hear it again. Nile's licks are so good :coma:

Much more sombre than Discovery, so many people trying to compare it to that already, but what made Discovery my favourite album of all time is the fact that i can listen to it so much and not get bored of it in any way. Plus, even after 30 or so listens of liking a track i can then go on to love it, which is what happened with most tracks individually on Discovery. The real test for RAM is its longevity so i won't properly judge it for a while.

One thing i did think though, DP said they might remix the album themselves. That i think would be really cool, as i think a lot of the songs could have done well with processed beats over drum kit. Either way i think they could make this album into something completely different yet not losing quality if they did that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I really didn't like this album at all.

The hype that preceded it is baffling.
    It was always going to be over-hyped.

I love it anyway, best dance album I've heard in a long time.

ReputationRep:
    I really didn't like the spoken word track, 3 or 4 songs in to the album? it just totally knocked it off its groove, i'd much rather more disco-funk type stuff like the single, or more smashing buildups like the final track. The songs in the middle faded into obscurity - but I reserve judgement until I can listen to them individually, because i can only listen to the whole album all in one go on my itunes stream.

ReputationRep:
    Its eargasmic.

Edit: am I the only one who thought that Touch was about to break into Get Lucky at one point aha?

ReputationRep:
    7.5/10, too long for me, 3 or 4 pretty kickin songs amongst it. Overall though its pretty good just not anywhere near discovery.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 28, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.