Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has the 'traditional' approach to dating died? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What you're really describing is the difference between approaching women for sex and approaching for relationships. The reason the former seems different and "new" is because casual sex has become more accepted over time. When women didn't put out as easily, going purely to "pull" was less effective.

I don't really recommend making slow, casual advances though. I don't see that as more traditional either, if anything I see this as a modern thing - that you're supposed to pretend you aren't actually dating, that you're just "hanging out". Although it does work in some cases, it can be a waste of time and it can also cause a woman to not see you sexually. Confident men will establish their interest early on. That's not a bad thing - everybody wants to be sexually attractive and a man who makes that clear appears in control and therefore attractive. He's also more honest. From the moment you meet a girl you like, you see her as sexually attractive and you know you want to sleep with her eventually. Women know that, and they also want men whom are true to themselves. What you're looking for is a middle ground between the guy who pushes for sex and the guy who pretends he's asexual.

I would say the men I've dated have had a "traditional" approach to dating. What that means is that we meet in whatever manner, they ask for my phone number, then call or text to ask me out to dinner. We have dinner, just the two of us in a nice restaurant, share a hug/kiss, then he asks me out again, so we're dating and at some point we'll sleep together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by datpiff)
    What are these mythical creatures?

Having a woman approach you is the equivalent of finding a shiny Charizard Pokemon card in a pack when you were a kid. Its rare.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol

True enough I'd be pretty suspicious.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.