Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone who plays golf? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Decided to get into this year. Was using my bosses old set of irons to play with but bought a set of the Nike cavity ones yesterday (still don't have any other clubs apart from a putter).

Been playing for 3/4 weeks now and played about 8 times, only scored twice hit 132 last Sunday and 137 today. I found it really hard to adapt to my new irons today but by the 14th I finished with 6,6,6,6 on par 4s which I was happy with. I was managing 150-200 drives with my 4 iron.

I need to buy a new bag, might buy a troller, need golf shoes and a driver/hybrid/woods. Any recommendations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    Decided to get into this year. Was using my bosses old set of irons to play with but bought a set of the Nike cavity ones yesterday (still don't have any other clubs apart from a putter).

Been playing for 3/4 weeks now and played about 8 times, only scored twice hit 132 last Sunday and 137 today. I found it really hard to adapt to my new irons today but by the 14th I finished with 6,6,6,6 on par 4s which I was happy with. I was managing 150-200 drives with my 4 iron.

I need to buy a new bag, might buy a troller, need golf shoes and a driver/hybrid/woods. Any recommendations?
    Well I'd have lots of recommendations!

But it depends on your ability/ physical dimensions / swing type and how seriously you want to take the game!

To be honest I'd wait a while until your swing has settled down a bit then get a trackman session so you know angles and swing speeds. Helps a lot if you have the right lofts and shafts on your woods from the beginning.

As for shoes and bag and clothes again depends on how much you want to spend!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Big_C.)
    Well I'd have lots of recommendations!

But it depends on your ability/ physical dimensions / swing type and how seriously you want to take the game!

To be honest I'd wait a while until your swing has settled down a bit then get a trackman session so you know angles and swing speeds. Helps a lot if you have the right lofts and shafts on your woods from the beginning.

As for shoes and bag and clothes again depends on how much you want to spend!
    My swing at the moment is pretty consistent, it is my stance I am having to adjust mostly. I am still getting used to the ball placement and seem to be play better with it slightly off centre, a bit closer to my back leg. Taking the divot with irons off the floor is something I am struggling with but I am connecting with the ball cleanly most of the time and getting a true/straight flight out of it.

Now that I have started playing more I am going to go for a lesson next weekend before I get into any truly bad habits.

I am not really that bothered by a driver at the moment as I am easily competing with my friends off the tee and if I hit my irons cleanly I am in and around the green for two. It just getting that consistency. I could do with a hybrid from the rough though as the irons can get caught and swing speed reduces massively.

I was looking at decent carry bags about but a lot of them seem to have a similar problem to the one I am currently using, in that all of the clubs seem to keep banging together.

Golf shoes are definitely my next purchase though, I am destroying my normal trainers on the course.

ReputationRep:
    My swing at the moment is pretty consistent, it is my stance I am having to adjust mostly. I am still getting used to the ball placement and seem to be play better with it slightly off centre, a bit closer to my back leg. Taking the divot with irons off the floor is something I am struggling with but I am connecting with the ball cleanly most of the time and getting a true/straight flight out of it.

Now that I have started playing more I am going to go for a lesson next weekend before I get into any truly bad habits.

I am not really that bothered by a driver at the moment as I am easily competing with my friends off the tee and if I hit my irons cleanly I am in and around the green for two. It just getting that consistency. I could do with a hybrid from the rough though as the irons can get caught and swing speed reduces massively.

I was looking at decent carry bags about but a lot of them seem to have a similar problem to the one I am currently using, in that all of the clubs seem to keep banging together.

Golf shoes are definitely my next purchase though, I am destroying my normal trainers on the course.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40

Those would be great golf shoes!

I own two pairs myself very very comfy and hard wearing. A bit heavy but very stable!

Lessons are very worth while as would a decent putter, something like a second hand oddesyy two ball.

With regards to woods I would try and get a second set of taylor made burners, they are a bit old now but very easy to hit and good clubs!

ReputationRep:
    Shot +7 today and got beat by a 28 handicapper. ****ing hate golf sometimes!!!

Bloody bandits!!

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a handicap (yet) but what are people's memorable holes? I've used a 9 wood and putted for birdie today.

ReputationRep:
    I was enjoying it over the summer, improving slowly but surely. Then dislocated my shoulder after going to get taught by a professional :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    I was enjoying it over the summer, improving slowly but surely. Then dislocated my shoulder after going to get taught by a professional :sigh:
    How did you do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    How did you do that?
    Was playing my approach shot to the green. Hit it clean and on the follow through, as my arm reached its peak my shoulder moved round to my back. Luckily enough I fell over in pain, landed on my back and it pushed back in.

A completely ridiculous situation!

ReputationRep:
    Was playing my approach shot to the green. Hit it clean and on the follow through, as my arm reached its peak my shoulder moved round to my back. Luckily enough I fell over in pain, landed on my back and it pushed back in.

A completely ridiculous situation!
    You won't be forgetting that hole any time soon. I thought you overdid a swing using a driver or something. I do like the short game though. I've done some nice shots with the pitching wedge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    You won't be forgetting that hole any time soon. I thought you overdid a swing using a driver or something. I do like the short game though. I've done some nice shots with the pitching wedge.
    The worst part of it was, once I could ask my mate where the ball had landed. It was within 5ft of the pin and was on for a birdie put on one of the tougher holes on the course!

I can still feel that it's pretty sore and weak at the minute (about 2/3 months later) so I'm going to spend the winter in Physio, preparing it for next year!

I don't use a driver at the moment, just tee off with a four iron and consistently get it straight and not too far behind my friends with their drivers. I'm consistent at getting it straight on my approach shots but still not very consistent with my connection, I top the ball a fair amount!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't use a driver at the moment, just tee off with a four iron and consistently get it straight and not too far behind my friends with their drivers. I'm consistent at getting it straight on my approach shots but still not very consistent with my connection, I top the ball a fair amount!
    I've temporarily stopped using drivers because I'm rubbish at hitting them and the local golf course I go to most doesn't really require it even if I could hit the driver well. I have tried using a driver on the fairway and I've teed off using a 1-iron. I don't think I'll be trying either again soon so I'm working my way up to them.

ReputationRep:
    Ppl who plays golf need a life :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.