Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qwertish)
    I say a simple test should be conducted at the polling booth before you're allowed to vote: Match the names of ALL the candidates to their respective photographs.

If you can pass this it shows that you (a) care enough to look up who each candidate is, rather than blindly voting for a faceless party because that's what your Dad did; and (b) are capable of reading names.
    I have to admit, your post made me laugh out loud! Your thought sounds like a basic common sense test, but I doubt the right and universally accepted criteria to exclude voting rights exists, except perhaps people medically determined to be insane/incapable of participating.

ReputationRep:
    I think that people who will willingly watch golf live are probably incapbable of voting properly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj_macky)
    I have to admit, your post made me laugh out loud! Your thought sounds like a basic common sense test, but I doubt the right and universally accepted criteria to exclude voting rights exists, except perhaps people medically determined to be insane/incapable of participating.
    Well, yea. I think DarkWhite was right to say it's probably up to the people seeking the votes to ensure that they are known to the electorate.

What annoys me is when people vote for one party, without acknowledging the others, even when they might like some of the other parties' policies. For example, before those TV debates no one really cared about the Lib Dems. During them, because people were basically forced to listen to the policies of all parties, people discovered that they liked Lib Dem policies (you can see this from that live poll thing Ipsos Mori was doing).

ReputationRep:
    Don't trust polls.

ReputationRep:
    Well, yea. I think DarkWhite was right to say it's probably up to the people seeking the votes to ensure that they are known to the electorate.

What annoys me is when people vote for one party, without acknowledging the others, even when they might like some of the other parties' policies. For example, before those TV debates no one really cared about the Lib Dems. During them, because people were basically forced to listen to the policies of all parties, people discovered that they liked Lib Dem policies (you can see this from that live poll thing Ipsos Mori was doing).
    I was actually pretty shocked when i came back from work after the first one, was speaking to a friend over the phone and he said that the Lib Dems had won going by the voter reaction thing they were doing during.

I'd be interested to see whether Clegg being at the next debates (i'm not so sure that he'll leave before) amplifies the sellout hate for him or that his ability to appear to be speaking naturally will aid them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I was actually pretty shocked when i came back from work after the first one, was speaking to a friend over the phone and he said that the Lib Dems had won going by the voter reaction thing they were doing during.

I'd be interested to see whether Clegg being at the next debates (i'm not so sure that he'll leave before) amplifies the sellout hate for him or that his ability to appear to be speaking naturally will aid them.
    Something that was extremely interesting was how little it actually affected the number of votes the Lib Dems got. Goes to show how little policy actually influences the electorate >_>

ReputationRep:
    Something that was extremely interesting was how little it actually affected the number of votes the Lib Dems got. Goes to show how little policy actually influences the electorate >_>
    True.

I personally think the Lib Dems will be hit hard but not to the point of cataclysmic that some people expect. I'd expect them to be in the 16-19% range personally despite their low teen readings at the current time in some polls.

What will be interesting given the mass exodus of the left from the party will be whether they move to the economic right over the next decade or so, i'm told that the Leeds Liberals are full of right leaning members.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by DarkWhite)
    Whether or not you agree with Labour ideologically or practically, you can't deny that their #Labourdoorstep campaigning is a massive hit. Talking to voters face to face? Listening to their concerns? Actually being proactive in making sure the electorate is informed of your policies? Novel
    Hardly a 'novel' idea - all parties have used doorstop campaigning for years. Labour didn't invent the concept.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Birchington)
    Hardly a 'novel' idea - all parties have used doorstop campaigning for years. Labour didn't invent the concept.
    Of course not, but my experiences in 4 constituencies this year has been that whilst many parties have stopped doing it, Labour are going back to it.

It used to be very popular, because it works, but it's generally on the decline it seems.

ReputationRep:
    My favourite MP was the one that wrote about issues affecting me locally, and knocked on my door even though it wasn't election time. Always replied to issues affecting local people, and kept in touch at all seasons. He cared and showed it. I voted for his party at national elections because of him even though on national issues I disagreed with his party, and voted Councillors of a different party at local elections. Needless to say, I returned to voting my favoured party once this MP retired!

ReputationRep:
    Sadly in 13 years i have been visited by an MP a grand total of once, largely because my constituency is a Labour stronghold but my ward is a Tory stronghold (we forgave Labour of their sins in 1997 but then went Tory again in 1999).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj_macky)
    Shouldn't that be an offence of some sort? Sounds like something out of EastEnders!!!
    I've considered ways to deal with this sort of thing, and all I can think of is making the political parties pick 3 key policies, and making anyone who wants to vote for them pick the correct policy from a list before their vote is registered.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.