Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do so many women want to be treated better than men...? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaegon Targaryen)
    Exactly , if there are future wars I expect to see hundreds of women on the front lines while the fathers stay at home and weep .
    I expect to see divorce not **** over men for everything they have.
    I expect women to hold open doors for me.
    I expect women to pay their share on first dates and not pull a face like a rats ass if I propose the idea.

etc etc
    You know the wrong women. I hold doors open for whomever happens to be coming up to the door regardless of gender. When I dated I paid my fair share.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    You don't actually have to do what these women tell you.

You don't have to 'put them on a pedestal'.
    You are not forced to marry one, or even cohabit with one - thus you can protect your wealth.
    You can always request a signature from one prior to entering sexual relations - and you can thus film the signing to confirm that both/all parties are consenting to the act.
    You don't have to pay for one in a restaurant/bar etc. - one this woman simply said 'pay for my drinks'. I refused and was only going to pay my share - when I realized the barman had no intention of collecting her payment, I requested that if he was not going to charge her then I failed to see why I would pay. So the blundering guy basically let me off paying too. Most Western men are likely conditioned to defer to women on such occasions - if you stand up to them and act within appropriate legal frameworks, then there's not alot they can, or will, do.
    Good on you, I refuse to pay for drinks for women unless I think they deserve one, I feel sorry for the mugs who women get to pay for drinks

ReputationRep:
    I'm all for hearing people's arguments but I think feminists shot themselves in the foot a long time ago when they tried to have the best of both worlds and make out man was responsible for all the worlds problems and that's about the time I stopped listening to what they had to say.

But I've seen girls say, in the context of relationships with men: '...get what I expect...' and '...treated the way I should be...' Which is what exactly? Bit of a arrogant stance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus2)
    I'm all for hearing people's arguments but I think feminists shot themselves in the foot a long time ago when they tried to have the best of both worlds and make out man was responsible for all the worlds problems and that's about the time I stopped listening to what they had to say.

But I've seen girls say, in the context of relationships with men: '...get what I expect...' and '...treated the way I should be...' Which is what exactly? Bit of a arrogant stance.
    The men are free to refuse to do those things and terminate the relationship if they so wish. There are no legal repercussions for them. Maybe most British men may find this unchivalrous/impolite etc. but in many parts of the world most men would simply ignore these demands and let the women do as they please provided they former are not require to foot the bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    The women that complain about the lack of chivalry are the worst (i hear it all the time from girls in real life). The reason why a man being chivalrous back in the day wasn't as bad is because women were discriminated against, i.e. not allowed to work and earn a living so the least a man could do was be chivalrous. But nowadays it doesn't work like that, chivarly died the day women gained equality.

Also I love how feminists always go on about how women are sexually objectified in the media but always forgets to mention how the media portrays men in that regard. For example there was an advert of a supposedly attractive woman (in my opinion she was plain as ****) walking down the street that had all the men staring at her instead of watching where they were going which resulted in the men crashing the cars, walking into lampposts etc. Feminists complained about the ad saying how it was objectifying women. But did they complain about how it was portraying men as bumbling perverted morons that couldn't pay attention at the sight of a woman they found attractivek? No, of course not. It's all these little hypocritical things that piss me off.

Also there's the argument that only women are called sluts, but no one ever mentions that only men are ever called perverts. Or the argument that when women are promiscuous, they're called sluts but men aren't. No one ever mentions the fact that when a man is a virgin after a set age he's a loser, women aren't. I never hear feminists bring up these counter issues I just mentioned. Oh well..
    I agree, but they're all arguments concerning discrimination.
    I don't think all feminists are evil men hating witches as people seem to think they are, feminism is just advocating for women's equality to men.
    Sometimes I think it's unfair that a girl would be shamed if she had sex at a set age whereas a boy might even be congratulated. It's not the way they are treated it's more the concept that girls and boys are treated differently concerning matters like this. The idea that sex is wrong at certain ages is separate, it's the different standards that annoy me- everyone should be equal and stuff, you get me???

ReputationRep:
    Exactly , if there are future wars I expect to see hundreds of women on the front lines while the fathers stay at home and weep .
    I expect to see divorce not **** over men for everything they have.
    I expect women to hold open doors for me.
    I expect women to pay their share on first dates and not pull a face like a rats ass if I propose the idea.

etc etc
    Have you read Warren Farrell's book "the myth of male power"? It's bloody fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia 1)
    I agree, but they're all arguments concerning discrimination.
    I don't think all feminists are evil men hating witches as people seem to think they are, feminism is just advocating for women's equality to men.
    Sometimes I think it's unfair that a girl would be shamed if she had sex at a set age whereas a boy might even be congratulated. It's not the way they are treated it's more the concept that girls and boys are treated differently concerning matters like this. The idea that sex is wrong at certain ages is separate, it's the different standards that annoy me- everyone should be equal and stuff, you get me???
    So while men are dying in wars, having their civil rights abused and their children taken away, women should be given better treatment because they get called ****s for having lots of sex (usually by OTHER WOMEN).

... feminism winds me up.

ReputationRep:
    Well I think women should be able to go on the front line, and I really don't know why anyone, particularly someone who claims to be feminist, would disagree.

It upsets me when people who claim to want equality for women say things like this; do they not realise how their argument completely crumbles when they say these things?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imperial_Maniac)
    So while men are dying in wars, having their civil rights abused and their children taken away, women should be given better treatment because they get called ****s for having lots of sex (usually by OTHER WOMEN).
    Err, may need to expand on that. As far as I'm aware, women can join the army and potentially die in it. What civil rights are you talking about? (that's a genuine question I don't know much about the army). When a man's children are taken away, generally this also applies to women to, because that's sort of how babies are made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendonbackflip)
    Err, may need to expand on that. As far as I'm aware, women can join the army and potentially die in it. What civil rights are you talking about? (that's a genuine question I don't know much about the army). When a man's children are taken away, generally this also applies to women to, because that's sort of how babies are made.
    I'm talking about how women are far more likely to gain custody of their children and:

1) A man convicted of murder is 25 times more likely to receive the death penalty than a woman.

2) No woman who has killed only men has been executed in the U.S since 1954.

3) Since the 1976 reinstatement of the death penalty, 120 men- and only 1 woman- have actually been executed. The woman, from North Carolina, said she preferred to be executed.

4) 23 Americans have been executed and later found innocent, all 23 were men.

5) When women commit homocide, almost 90 percent of their victims are men.

6) Marjorie Filipiak and 16-year old Heath Wilkins both please guilty to being co-conspirators in a murder. Neither was a hardened criminal. Heath Wilkins got the death sentence; Marjorie Filipak went free.

7) When Health Wilkins was found to have been a victim of child sexual abuse, it did not deter the judge from giving him the death sentence. When Josephine Mesa was found to have been the victim of child abuse, the jury freed her. Josephine Mesa had killed her 23-month old son with a toilet plunger.

(8) Any given man in prison is still 1,000 percent more likely as any given woman to die via suicide, homicide, or execution.

9) When women go free on probation while men get prison sentences, the state commissions on gender bias say women are victims of discrimination because women receive longer periods of probation.

ReputationRep:
    Have you read Warren Farrell's book "the myth of male power"? It's bloody fantastic.
    Sounds interesting , apologies for the obvious hint as suggested in the title but whats it about ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ice Constricter)
    The women that complain about the lack of chivalry are the worst (i hear it all the time from girls in real life). The reason why a man being chivalrous back in the day wasn't as bad is because women were discriminated against, i.e. not allowed to work and earn a living so the least a man could do was be chivalrous. But nowadays it doesn't work like that, chivarly died the day women gained equality.

Also I love how feminists always go on about how women are sexually objectified in the media but always forgets to mention how the media portrays men in that regard. For example there was an advert of a supposedly attractive woman (in my opinion she was plain as ****) walking down the street that had all the men staring at her instead of watching where they were going which resulted in the men crashing the cars, walking into lampposts etc. Feminists complained about the ad saying how it was objectifying women. But did they complain about how it was portraying men as bumbling perverted morons that couldn't pay attention at the sight of a woman they found attractivek? No, of course not. It's all these little hypocritical things that piss me off.

Also there's the argument that only women are called sluts, but no one ever mentions that only men are ever called perverts. Or the argument that when women are promiscuous, they're called sluts but men aren't. No one ever mentions the fact that when a man is a virgin after a set age he's a loser, women aren't. I never hear feminists bring up these counter issues I just mentioned. Oh well..
    What annoys me is in, say, films, oh, this actress is only in it because she's hot, look at her pose on the poster, blah blah. They fail to realise that men are just as objectified on the same poster, they are a one-dimensional action hero with no more personality than the girl. It's not just bare flesh or tight clothes that is objectification.

And those sort of gender stereotypes of men do just as much damage as the female ones do.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds interesting , apologies for the obvious hint as suggested in the title but whats it about ?
    It's about how both sexes are disadvantaged by their traditional gender roles, and that feminism needs to become a gender transition movement, rather than a pressure group for angry women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    The men are free to refuse to do those things and terminate the relationship if they so wish. There are no legal repercussions for them. Maybe most British men may find this unchivalrous/impolite etc. but in many parts of the world most men would simply ignore these demands and let the women do as they please provided they former are not require to foot the bill.
    No, they are not as free as you think, due to the way women have the power in the sexual marketplace. You can't point to a law and claim freedom. You have to be aware of coercion, that is, shades of grey in between freedom and oppression.

That is what the majority of civil rights arguments are about, since most groups are now in fact "equal" under the law. Your position is tantamount to brushing it under the carpet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    What annoys me is in, say, films, oh, this actress is only in it because she's hot, look at her pose on the poster, blah blah. They fail to realise that men are just as objectified on the same poster, they are a one-dimensional action hero with no more personality than the girl. It's not just bare flesh or tight clothes that is objectification.

And those sort of gender stereotypes of men do just as much damage as the female ones do.
    Women are objectified for sexual provocation by a very large industry for sales purposes. It's a little depressing that industry is also now seeking to objectify men in that way, but hardly a cause for celebration. Can they really not sell things without constantly resorting to sex and can we not have a public media that treats women as people rather than sex objects? Just a thought.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. It's double standards. Like how a woman can abuse a man and it's his fault, but goad a man into hitting her, and it's his fault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    You do realise this is a UK-based forum? :confused:

And let me get this straight - you want to see more women given the death penalty and generally treated harshly? You don't feel that women are already victimised enough generally?
    So? You know as well as I do that American and British society are pretty much the same in terms of gender equality.

I want men and women given a fair trials and not be discriminated against because of their gender.

Women aren't victimised any more than men are, they are just victimised in different ways.

ReputationRep:

... feminism winds me up.
    Bro,
    You seem to be suggesting that women shouldn't be treated as equals to men? Wanting equality between men and women is not wanting bad stuff to happen to men.
    It's not fair men are treated badly. But women's children are taken away, civil rights are abused and women die in wars too. I don't want bad anyone to suffer unfairly at the hands of others because of their gender.
    Anyways, you are making out feminism to be ridiculous, it's not as simple as that, for example issues in america concerning abortion are key issues to look at. Or the fact that in some countries women are still considered unclean when menstruating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Women are objectified for sexual provocation by a very large industry for sales purposes. It's a little depressing that industry is also now seeking to objectify men in that way, but hardly a cause for celebration. Can they really not sell things without constantly resorting to sex and can we not have a public media that treats women as people rather than sex objects? Just a thought.
    The way I see it, the industry uses men's sexuality against them because they know if they see a pretty lady they will associate their product with sex. That's not sexist against women, that's manipulation of men's sexuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophia 1)
    Bro,
    You seem to be suggesting that women shouldn't be treated as equals to men? Wanting equality between men and women is not wanting bad stuff to happen to men.
    It's not fair men are treated badly. But women's children are taken away, civil rights are abused and women die in wars too. I don't want bad anyone to suffer unfairly at the hands of others because of their gender.
    Anyways, you are making out feminism to be ridiculous, it's not as simple as that, for example issues in america concerning abortion are key issues to look at. Or the fact that in some countries women are still considered unclean when menstruating.
    In what way am I suggesting that men and women shouldn't be equal?!

I'm making out feminism to be ridiculous because feminism is ridiculous, it is based entirely on the paranoid belief that men are solely responsible for traditional gender roles, despite the obvious fact that traditional gender roles are just as disadvantageous for men as they are for women, if not more so.

Either make a clear, constructive argument, or go away and do some reading on the subject, then come back.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.