Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Brazil - Anyone been there/or lived there? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Dunno about areas of Brazil as a whole, but I wouldn't advise going to favelas in any city unless you're with a guide, and in Rio (and probably Salvador as well) don't walk along the beach alone at night. Try not to take any valuables with you to the beach, too.

I've been to Manchester lots of times and would definitely recommend it to people. Just because a place has some bad areas, doesn't mean the rest of it should be advised against!
    Sadly as I dont support a Manchester team I wouldnt live very long up there... I am well aware some of the city is fantastic though. Would you need to ever go to a favela if you didnt live there really?

ReputationRep:
    Brazil in Rio was the very entertainment place and many people hare comes to enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you don't need to go to a favela.

There are poor areas in every city in the world. Brazil has one of the highest rates of social inequality though, and people (the press, especially) like to use those pictures of beautiful beachs and buildings in Rio with a big favela on a mountain just behind it all. It's a sad contrast, but I wouldn't say Rio is more dangerous than Sao Paulo, where the dangerous locations are "hidden" due their distance from noble areas.

Brazil is, on average, a more dangerous country than european ones, but that's just something you get used to. I and millions of others were never robbed nor attacked. The very use of the term "favela" on international press is terribly overrated.

You have to see for yourself, really. I can say you shouldn't expect first-world services or structure (especially regarding public sectors), but that's not what defines happiness in a certain place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenforever)
    Is there any parts of brazil i should probably avoid? I always advise people that they wouldnt like manchester, glasgow or east london as some parts are quite dangerous.
    Well, I would stay away from favelas. It's like somebody else on here said, there are dangerous areas in every city in the world!
    You don't HAVE to go into a favela. Ever. I lived in Brazil for years and have never been in a favela, and I've never been mugged either...
    You just have to be aware of where your things are at all times. Like, you wouldn't walk around London (or any other big city) with your bag right open, or your wallet hanging out of your back pocket, right? It's common sense really...
    If I had to advise you on something like that, I'd say you should try to avoid walking by yourself at night, and trust your instincts! If you meet someone who seems to be TOO friendly, chances are they're probably trying to distract you so someone else can steal your wallet/phone/electronics in general.
    But don't be too paranoid about all that! Hahaha! Overall Brazil is an amazing destination!
    Just be careful and enjoy yourself! I'm sure you're going to love Brazil!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara5)
    Well, I would stay away from favelas. It's like somebody else on here said, there are dangerous areas in every city in the world!
    You don't HAVE to go into a favela. Ever. I lived in Brazil for years and have never been in a favela, and I've never been mugged either...
    You just have to be aware of where your things are at all times. Like, you wouldn't walk around London (or any other big city) with your bag right open, or your wallet hanging out of your back pocket, right? It's common sense really...
    If I had to advise you on something like that, I'd say you should try to avoid walking by yourself at night, and trust your instincts! If you meet someone who seems to be TOO friendly, chances are they're probably trying to distract you so someone else can steal your wallet/phone/electronics in general.
    But don't be too paranoid about all that! Hahaha! Overall Brazil is an amazing destination!
    Just be careful and enjoy yourself! I'm sure you're going to love Brazil!
    Thanks for the advice I really hope to go to Brazil in the future so bad! It's so expensive and the jet lag will be interesting...

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm Brazilian and i'll be coming in september to Strathclyde uni in Glasgow to study a year abroad haha.

If you're looking for very friendly people, Brazil certainly is the right place. I guess sometimes people can be even over-friendly and you might feel weird with all the physical contact when you get closer to them lol
    However, being friendly it's not the same as being polite. I found brittish people much more polite than Brazilians.

As it was said, It's really difficult to describe Brazil since it's a really huge country and it has A LOT o different types of cities. I live in the Northeast, in a seaside town and it's insanely hot all year, but cities like São Paulo and Rio can get a little cold in winter. Just make sure that you're coming to a country that is still in development, you might get frustrated with some things like the security and public services, aaand, don't expect that people will understand english, not in the slightest. (Althought they will surely make an effort to try to help you, but it would be better if you come here knowing some basic expressions haha)

And yeah, stay away from the favelas.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.