(Original post by Kibalchich)
    Who's on about students?

was making a joke....
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    I don't get it, I budget for £30 per week from student loan after rent bills, is there something I'm missing? £50 per week without rent is massive amount. I wouldn't be able to bear getting that after uni because it would be too precarious a life, one bit of bad luck and you'd be homeless. But on a student forum £53 Ppw is probably way more than most spend per week.

ReputationRep:
    You can survive off £53 a week, not live.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    I don't get it, I budget for £30 per week from student loan after rent bills, is there something I'm missing? £50 per week without rent is massive amount.
    It's not that much actually. I've done it and I've struggled.

ReputationRep:
    I live off less than £53 as a student now (after bills and rent) but I think people forget that students still live in a bit of a bubble. Your sole necessary outgoings are rent and bills. After that, money you have left is your own to spend on food and whatever else. Living completely independently is more costly and has more incidentals and 'bad luck expenses' which can be costly. For a start, you have council tax; increased bills (not just the cost of one house split between 8 students); probably increased transport costs; household items; repairs to various things; no student discount (!); etc etc. When you're on £53 per week, it all adds up.

If you had to, obviously you would just have to find a way. But anyone on here who is saying "well, I [as a student] live on £20 per week now with money left over!" is just being unrealistic - you may be able to now, but try living off £20 per week in 10 years time and then see how easy it is.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by OU Student)
    It's not that much actually. I've done it and I've struggled.

I don't know, for students I'd think anyone living on that much a week was living a bit excessively to be honest.

(Original post by Rascacielos)
    Exactly. It would be tough but you don't exactly have a lot of choice.

I live off less than £53 as a student now (after bills and rent) but I think people forget that students still live in a bit of a bubble. Your sole necessary outgoings are rent and bills. After that, money you have left is your own to spend on food and whatever else. Living completely independently is more costly and has incidentals which always add up.

This is exactly how I see it, asking on a student website £53 pw is alot, whereas when you have to worry about filling a house, putting money aside, eating etc etc all on your own it's not that much and you'd be knocked off your feet at the first bit of bad luck.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone here ever heard of aldi? I can do my entire shop for the week for about 10 quid, penne 30p, pasta sauce 30p, garlic bread 30p, mozzarella 45p bam about 3 dinners sorted for less than £1.50, get yourself a chocolate bar 30p and youll have no complaints. I don't understand students that shop in M&S while their parents work 9-5 trying to foot their bills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randymandy)
    has anyone here ever heard of aldi? I can do my entire shop for the week for about 10 quid, penne 30p, pasta sauce 30p, garlic bread 30p, mozzarella 45p bam about 3 dinners sorted for less than £1.50, get yourself a chocolate bar 30p and youll have no complaints. I don't understand students that shop in M&S while their parents work 9-5 trying to foot their bills
    Mmmmmm, healthy.

ReputationRep:
    Many of us on here will be students, so will probably have a warped view of how far that kind of money goes. Most students that are living on loans will spend significantly less than £53 a week after rent, on average. I know I do. Student's bill are usually split/included, and we're used to eating cheaply. We also only have ourselves to support.

It is possible to live on £53, but you'd have a pretty poor standard of living. It'd be like living like a student, just less fun and carefree. And that'd suck at 30 years old

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't do it, not with having to pay gas and electric. And bus fare.

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't live off £530 a week.

ReputationRep:
    there is no way I could live off that, Im independant with children though.
    I guess what is part of the problem is some people living on this amount might be on gas/electric meters, which is more expensive but easier to budget-so then you get fuel poverty when people simply cannot afford to keep warm.
    People on this long term may turn to pay as you go shops for appliances as clearly they cant afford to buy outright and they need a washer/fridge just as much as anyone else. That takes a chunk of money.
    Bus will more than likely be essential to get food/attend job centre/interviews.
    In the short term, most people could survive, but in the longer term no one could realistically live a decent quality of life with so little, which I think is the aimso people make the effort to find work. Which is all well and good when there are plenty of jobs.

Whilst the sentiments of making work pay are sound, I fear this will simply create an underclass and a generation of impoverished children, with all the additional problems that will bring.

ReputationRep:
    I think £53 is a good amount of free money one can receive, you can survive on it, which is its purpose.

The idea of it is a temporary fund until someone finds work

Bringing in the morals of it is wrong imo, seeing as theyre receiving enough money to survive, which they should be greatful of, seeing as you are taking that money from others.

If i was on £53 pound a week id be annoyed but still, majority of people get more benefits than just that if theyre in long term unemployment, plus many people on JSA live with their parents and so dont struggle so much.

Some of my friends on JSA go clubbing every weekend.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and people will, we're not going to see piles of dead bodies on every corner where people couldn't live off £53 a week.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, quite easily, especially as in this scenario I have to assume I don't need to fuel my motorbike to get to work.

ReputationRep:
    well thats without rent which would be paid for by housing benefit right?

well yes I live off slightly less than that now. I would be much happier if I had more but I don't and I get by pretty well really considering I manage to pay for internet, virgin tv and a mobile phone. I spend very little on food and I don't get to go out much or buy new things very often but I could have a bigger food budget without the things I mentioned before I would just rather have them than more/nicer food.

I don't understand why people say they couldn't travel to look for jobs and stuff I travel on that amount.

edit: the problem with this however is that I could in no way afford to live on my own so if I had this much money long term and my friends left to live somewhere else I would have to find other roommates which is always a lottery. I also have no backup incase things break and need replacing and we are cold all of the time, as a general rule the heating goes on for one hour every day that it snows to stop the pipes freezing and breaking. I look forward to going to see my parents very much where it is warm and they feed me nice things.

As a student I live mostly off student finance, money given and lent to me by the government the same as JSA is given. Now I'm not saying people on JSA should have lots of luxuries otherwise there wouldn't be any point in trying to find a job but the key difference that I can see between me and most of them is that I choose to be a student. Very few people choose to be unemployed so perhaps they should be able to at least warm themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    - Bills aren't paid for and come out the £53
    No, in the case of the man who started all this furore, he has £53 per week after rent and bills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue n white army)
    x

You should add a poll

I have to say I'm constantly impressed by the levels of frugality that some students manage to achieve, so I'm really interested to see how realistic the figure is to you guys.

My answer - yes I can, live off £53 a week (did so a couple of years ago), but it really sucked. 0 quality of life - basic food, no entertainment. If it had lasted more than a couple of months I probably would have sunk into depression.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by British199)
    Weekly costs.
    Gas/Electric: £17
    Mobile: £2.50 (£10.00 O2 top up per month)
    Toiletries: £5
    Cleaning products: £2.50
    Food: £20:00
    Bus cost (For getting groceries back home): £4.00
    Water Bill: £8.00 (Average £32 per month)

I think I have gone over £53 :eek:
    £20 for food. What are you eating? Noodles and toast?

ReputationRep:
    Well this is how much I spend in a month on necessities. So let's see if I could do it! £212 to spend. Let's see...

Food: About £60 (Only buy basics/offers stuff from Sainsbury's where I work)
    Toiletries: About £10
    Phone Bill: £30 (All inclusive)
    Internet: £15 (Me and my mum split it)
    Travel: £40 (£10 per week, 4 bus trips for college)
    Rent: £80 (paid to my Mum towards bills)

So that's £235/£212. I haven't included going out for meals, seeing friends outside of my flat, buying things needed for my college course, any games/luxuries I may want, new clothes, makeup, getting my hair cut and dyed, replacing broken items, getting the lights in the flat fixed (currently living with a single lamp in my room)... I could easily spend more.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.