Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UK financial losses as a result of 'benefit scrounging' versus tax evasion? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    You haven't provided any fact to prove your point? You've even posted a graph illustrating that tax avoidance is higher than benefit fraud? Of course we can't do a strict comparison.
    I am just not getting thru to you am I. No matter what evidence you are shown, you wont accept that benefit fraud is higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj1015)
    I am just not getting thru to you am I. No matter what evidence you are shown, you wont accept that benefit fraud is higher.
    What evidence have you provided? You provided a graph that indicates the opposite! I'm confused:s

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattFletcher)
    Cameron and his "back-handing" mates. It annoys me so much because the fact that he allows people like Vodafone to get away from paying tax with the exchange of some money behind closed doors

Do you have any of that really annoying stuff, what's it called..... oh yes, Proof?

Evidence of this being true would be devoured by the media, and the PM would be out of office within hours.

However.........................

ReputationRep:
    I forgot I posted on here thanks to pot pot noodles and his complete mis-representation of how much benefit fraud there is. The later poster links what the DWP thinks it is and it is a pittance in comparrison to the whole bill. AS IF it wouldnt be covered by tax evasion!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattFletcher)
    Cameron and his "back-handing" mates. It annoys me so much because the fact that he allows people like Vodafone to get away from paying tax with the exchange of some money behind closed doors
    Good quote on Vodafone I seem to remember they dodged a 6 billion pound bill according to those figures above it would more than cover any benefit fraud

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj1015)
    Regardless, that fraud graph is nearly 5 years out of date. The article I found is current.

So likely to to be more im afraid.
    How come Vodafone on their own avoided more tax on their own than the whole of the cheat/error total?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liftman)
    Do you have any of that really annoying stuff, what's it called..... oh yes, Proof?

Evidence of this being true would be devoured by the media, and the PM would be out of office within hours.

However.........................
    Google it, it was a headline story for quite a few days within the last year...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    How come Vodafone on their own avoided more tax on their own than the whole of the cheat/error total?
    Your misunderstanding the difference between tax evasion and tax avoidance.

Tax avoidance is what Vodafone is doing - legally reducing their UK tax bill as much as possible by paying it in other countries where tax is lower.

Tax evasion is criminal non-payment of tax liabilities. This is what's being compared to benefit fraud in OP - they are both illegal ways of defrauding the state.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Google it, it was a headline story for quite a few days within the last year...
    I wasn't suggesting that vodafone didn't have questions to answer about their tax position, it was the suggestion that David Cameron and his "mates" were taking back handers to facilitate it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.