Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone think North Korea will start WW3? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    Times like this I wish I lived in Australia.
    And where do you live?

ReputationRep:
    My personal opinion is that if anything were to happen, it would be because of some mistake or slip up on NK's part. Like back in 2010 when NK sunk a SK navy ship. This 'mistake' would then escalate to a war on the peninsula which could spread to parts of Asia. NK does not have the capability to hit mainland US however Tokyo is in range and a nunber of US bases are in range.

NK are just making threats and the regime must know that any attack is suicide. They want Aid or its propaganda. As long as some trigger happy military doesn't slip up and shell an Island or sink a ship then I can't see much more being made from it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ricardo Dias)
    I think there's going to be a WW3 only if Russia and China come to the table. But for now I just see a north korean nuclear bomb being intercepted in the Pacific and a deadly response by US+SK similar do Hiroshima. After that North Korea is going to surrender if Russia and China stay away.
    Russia & China wouldn't support North Korea anyway, during a war. The resulting benefits are negligible compared to the costs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    Times like this I wish I lived in Australia.
    Part of Australia would be within the 8th missile perimeter of North Korea, it's closer to them and we are.

I do agree though that places like Australia or Canada seem to be the some of the most agreeable countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AaronC11)
    My personal opinion is that if anything were to happen, it would be because of some mistake or slip up on NK's part. Like back in 2010 when NK sunk a SK navy ship. This 'mistake' would then escalate to a war on the peninsula which could spread to parts of Asia. NK does not have the capability to hit mainland US however Tokyo is in range and a nunber of US bases are in range.

NK are just making threats and the regime must know that any attack is suicide. They want Aid or its propaganda. As long as some trigger happy military doesn't slip up and shell an Island or sink a ship then I can't see much more being made from it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The only countries I can see escalating this to a war are NK and USA. I also agree that it would start on a misunderstanding or supposed 'attack'. (See Gulf of Tonkin).

ReputationRep:
    I was worried about it. But then the newspapers reported that that tubby pongjong guy in NK said he would be declaring war within 'hours'. This was a few days ago and nothing has happened.

ReputationRep:
    it's just a massive "show off"

ReputationRep:
    Kim Jong-un just had a really bad migraine.

ReputationRep:
    WW3 - No, War possibly however NK will get totally obliterated as soon as a missile gets off the ground aiming for SK or the like. Maybe we should obliterated NK anyway for contributing didly squat to the world and let SK have it, KPOP rules if NK ****s with it NK is over

To be honest I doubt NK will put up much of a fight if it came to a conflict/war, SK would easily win in a few days on its own, add the second best army in the world the US a couple of days, add the best army in the world the UK a day before they pee themselves and crawl back under their rock pretending that they are hard

ReputationRep:
    I'm still pretty worried. I'm going to the states over summer and if America nuke NK for firing a missile I would fear a chain reaction from countries who are friends with NK retaliating with their force on America and then Americas friends start on that country and so on. But I'm just probably over thinking it all. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sheldorbaggins)
    I'm still pretty worried. I'm going to the states over summer and if America nuke NK for firing a missile I would fear a chain reaction from countries who are friends with NK retaliating with their force on America and then Americas friends start on that country and so on. But I'm just probably over thinking it all. :awesome:

North Korea has no friends. Even China's having second thoughts

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss_s95)
    North Korea has no friends. Even China's having second thoughts

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well that's reassuring.:banana:

ReputationRep:
    There may be conflicts dotted around the NK/SK border, NK/China border but definitely won't be enough to trigger a full blown WW3.

Kim Jung un just wants to build his cult of personality and establish himself as the supreme leader of his regime.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CRIKEY12)
    I find all the posturing most unsettling. It is upsetting for the South Koreans to be under constant threat from a relatively young ruler who has a big toy box of weaponary and a vast army at his command. Do ou think he really understands that USA have still got more in their toybox than he has. The big worry is that Japan will take a side.
    Since they threatened to invade Japan it's safe to say which side they are on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    Since they threatened to invade Japan it's safe to say which side they are on
    am I showing my lack of world history? or is this a recent threat?

ReputationRep:
    It's because Japan is a US ally, hence America's friends are their enemies, the US being their most sworn enemy of all, alongside SK. But the funny thing is that NK are happy to get aid from the US and meet US superstar basketballers! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Recent, Japan have anti-missile batteries placed in Tokyo in-case North Korea fire, they certainly are not getting along.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arrhythmia)
    There may be conflicts dotted around the NK/SK border, NK/China border but definitely won't be enough to trigger a full blown WW3.

Kim Jung un just wants to build his cult of personality and establish himself as the supreme leader of his regime.
    Precisely. All of this nonsense that NK is engaging in is more for domestic consumption than for external consumption. If Kim told the North Korea people that they blew up the White House, they'll probably believe him! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)
    Recent, Japan have anti-missile batteries placed in Tokyo in-case North Korea fire, they certainly are not getting along.
    Certainly not. Japan is a US ally and therefore an enemy of NK, as all US allies are - i.e. *points to US* "your friends are our enemies and your enemies are our friends".

ReputationRep:
    As long as China doesn't feel the need to ally with North Korea if the US attack them, then I don't think they could start much. North Korea aren't stupid, they know what the Americans would do if they fired a missile, and even if they were somehow able to withstand that, almost every other nuclear power would fight against them.

I do, in a way, hope that America doesn't use nuclear weapons if they try to start WW3, simply so the peninsula can be unified and the human rights atrocities etc. stop. I doubt that will happen for a very long time, though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.