Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by DaveSmith99)
    That's the gateway theory and its been proven to be a load of rubbish numerous times. Sprayed weed is very rare indeed. It's not sprayed with chemicals that cause mental illness either, there are two reasons to spray weed; The first being to add weight in which case they will spray a sugary water onto it after its been cured, dealers don't spray mental illness causing chemicals onto their weed because people wouldn't buy it and they have no reason to. The second is spraying drugs like PCP onto it for the effects, drug dealers don't do this as they aren't in the business of handing out free drugs, its drug users who do this to their own drugs.

If your weed as been sprayed with chemicals you'd know it, as it would smell like a laboratory and not like beautiful, beautiful green.

Where has it proven to be rubbish?

I don't know about the spraying, all I know is that skunk nowadays has given 3 normal people I personally knew panic attacks. If what you're saying is completely true, then I'd change my mind and ban weed for ever more. I assumed the dodgy aspect of weed came from whatever the hell changed it from grass to cheese, seeing as reported mental breakdowns directly from weed only started in the past 20 years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)

I don't know about the spraying, all I know is that skunk nowadays has given 3 normal people I personally knew panic attacks. If what you're saying is completely true, then I'd change my mind and ban weed for ever more. I assumed the dodgy aspect of weed came from whatever the hell changed it from grass to cheese, seeing as reported mental breakdowns directly from weed only started in the past 20 years.
    Levels of mental illness have remained steady over the past decade, despite people not using cannabis in the first half and people using it heavily in the second half, nor is the level of mental illness any higher in the western hemisphere where cannabis is heavily used than it is in the east where is is not heavily used.

People can have panic attacks when they smoke weed, it's called just what happens when certain people smoke too much, when they have calmed down and sobered up they will be completely fine. It's just like being sick is a response to drinking too much alcohol.

Skunk is something else that's been twisted by the media, skunk is just a strain of weed, its still just weed. Weed has got slightly stronger yes because of advances in hydroponic technology, but all that means is you have to smoke less of it to get as high. This whole 'skunk' thing is just so parents can take the moral high ground and pretend the drug they were smoking is completely different to the drug their kids are smoking. You can still get less potent weed, its called thai weed.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Levels of mental illness have remained steady over the past decade, despite people not using cannabis in the first half and people using it heavily in the second half, nor is the level of mental illness any higher in the western hemisphere where cannabis is heavily used than it is in the east where is is not heavily used.

People can have panic attacks when they smoke weed, it's called just what happens when certain people smoke too much, when they have calmed down and sobered up they will be completely fine. It's just like being sick is a response to drinking too much alcohol.

Skunk is something else that's been twisted by the media, skunk is just a strain of weed, its still just weed. Weed has got slightly stronger yes because of advances in hydroponic technology, but all that means is you have to smoke less of it to get as high. This whole 'skunk' thing is just so parents can take the moral high ground and pretend the drug they were smoking is completely different to the drug their kids are smoking. You can still get less potent weed, its called thai weed.

Fair enough then, guess I was wrong and weed should remain illegal. Thanks for convincing me.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough then, guess I was wrong and weed should remain illegal. Thanks for convincing me.
    Should alcohol, tobacco and McDonalds also be illegal?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Should alcohol, tobacco and McDonalds also be illegal?

I agreed with you to get me of my back. You make long posts and ignore any further queries, you make sweeping statements and expect people to take them as fact, and you argued with me for the sake of it. Stop being passive aggressive, I don't waste time in one sided discussions. You clearly did not read a single one of my posts, because you were arguing with me when we clearly agreed.

ReputationRep:
    I agreed with you to get me of my back. You make long posts and ignore any further queries, you make sweeping statements and expect people to take them as fact, and you argued with me for the sake of it. Stop being passive aggressive, I don't waste time in one sided discussions.
    Kind of pointless trying to have a debate with one line responses. What query did I ignore? It wasn't intentional. I also didn't realise that I need to reference by posts on TSR, if you want sources on anything then a quick google search will see you right, probably best to research anyway before you start making incorrect and ignorant statements.

Also http://www.thefreedictionary.com/agree. I'm unsure why you're on your own back either, that just seems counter productive.

ReputationRep:

I know a fair few people who grow or have grown weed in the past, and a common one nowadays (particularly where I'm from, south west London) is spraying them with cheap hairspray. Because the trichomes (the bit with the most THC) look similar to the crystals that sugar water or hairspray can make, it makes the product look better, so dodgy dealers can sell it for more money to hapless youngsters.

I have also heard (through word of mouth, no idea of accuracy) of an instance where a creepy dealer sprayed green with roofies to take advantage of some girl, but it didn't do anything. Never heard of it being sprayed with drugs that cause mental illness, do you have a source?

As somebody with severe mental health issues who medicates them entirely (and in my and my doctor's opinion, successfully) with cannabis, I am aware of the paranoia and psychotic episodes that it can inflict. HOWEVER, every case I've ever heard of this happening has a) been with young males, perhaps suggesting the developing brain is more affected than the adult brain, and b) has been with chronic overuse. Some people smoke weed all day every day, and it really can mess you up. But it's the same as alcohol, and food, and anything else you take into your body - it has to be in moderation. You wouldn't drink a bottle of vodka for breakfast, but a glass of wine at night with dinner is still fine. Same kinda goes for the green.

As for skunk, it's a lot stronger than "old timer puff", which generally was Thai and nowhere near as strong. But it's still perfectly fine and nowhere near as strong as some of the non-skunk blends I've tried in Amsterdam, as long as you use it responsibly and don't smoke excessively. I personally think the biggest problem is that due to the tobacco "culture" in the UK, most young newbie tokers are smoking as many doobies as they might cigarettes.

Edit: negged? really? what did I say wrong? :confused:
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Kind of pointless trying to have a debate with one line responses. What query did I ignore? It wasn't intentional. I also didn't realise that I need to reference by posts on TSR, if you want sources on anything then a quick google search will see you right, probably best to research anyway before you start making incorrect and ignorant statements.

I meant that you seemed to be arguing against me despite us both agreeing it should be legal, and I couldn't understand why you were ranting it off at me

Anyway, I was talking about my opinion. If you want to change my mind you can't just say 'No that's been disproven', back it up! I'd never heard of gateway theory and was just speaking from personal experiences. I've since googled it, and I don't think the criticisms of it really apply to my view on it as I'm talking about the idea of illegal use stemming from something seen as socially acceptable.

(Original post by edithwashere)
    As somebody with severe mental health issues who medicates them entirely (and in my and my doctor's opinion, successfully) with cannabis, I am aware of the paranoia and psychotic episodes that it can inflict. HOWEVER, every case I've ever heard of this happening has a) been with young males, perhaps suggesting the developing brain is more affected than the adult brain, and b) has been with chronic overuse. Some people smoke weed all day every day, and it really can mess you up. But it's the same as alcohol, and food, and anything else you take into your body - it has to be in moderation. You wouldn't drink a bottle of vodka for breakfast, but a glass of wine at night with dinner is still fine. Same kinda goes for the green.

As for skunk, it's a lot stronger than "old timer puff", which generally was Thai and nowhere near as strong. But it's still perfectly fine and nowhere near as strong as some of the non-skunk blends I've tried in Amsterdam, as long as you use it responsibly and don't smoke excessively. I personally think the biggest problem is that due to the tobacco "culture" in the UK, most young newbie tokers are smoking as many doobies as they might cigarettes.

I think you're probably right, and it's one of the reasons I think it should slowly be made legal. If it was, there would be age restrictions, and more guidelines on using it in excess.

ReputationRep:
    I think you're probably right, and it's one of the reasons I think it should slowly be made legal. If it was, there would be age restrictions, and more guidelines on using it in excess.
    Absolutely, it could be produced and sold in exactly the same way tobacco is. Then they could tax it to high heaven, create thousands more jobs along with it too. But the silly beggars are too drugged up on propaganda to care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kate_louise21)
    No... Im sure people can live without drugs! .... Many people who take drugs I guarentee you complain that they have no money and how their country is crap and therefore they are resorted to taking drugs....yet theres people in third world countries with absolutely nowhere near have anything to the likes that we have....
    No to drugs... sick of the excuses people come up with for needing them and then blame everyone else for their financial situation yet they have money for drugs? errrr no!
    Err, why does the fact you are annoyed by a few drug users complaining mean that educated adults should be made into criminals for making personal decisions about what they want to put into their own bodies?

I assume you don't ever drink alcohol or smoke, because you can probably "live without that" too.

ReputationRep:
    I've had a couple of panic attacks from drugs...they're no biggie, yeah you think you're dying at the time, but it passes.

I genuinely don't think British people have got the right sort of culture to legalise drugs...too much of a lets get wasted culture. I also am guilty of this...I didn't sleep last night and spent £120 on booze and drugs. The thing is ...it actually is big and clever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redolent)
    Err, why does the fact you are annoyed by a few drug users complaining mean that educated adults should be made into criminals for making personal decisions about what they want to put into their own bodies?

I assume you don't ever drink alcohol or smoke, because you can probably "live without that" too.
    It's not her fault, Talk to Frank are a fairly effective propaganda machine to UK teens at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Legalise some, but not the seriously damaging ones (Reseach is suggested before hand and definitely not the Class A and worst Class B drugs) and tax them like smoking, but don't allow use in public places, so you can take them but respect that other people wont want to be around it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redolent)

You are obviously not even comprehending the consequences of people taking drugs! There not only a danger to themelves but others around them...there is and there will never be an excuse to take drugs! People want everything legalised these days and their arses wiped....stand on your own two feet and take responsibility !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    The state is interested in the welfare of its citizens and so is inclined to prohibit certain kinds of possessions. Where it gets the right to do this from is a complicated subject with many arguments and differing opinions.

However, the 'war on drugs', it must be said causes far more harm than it does good. We need to stop treating drug addicts as criminals and instead offer them the means to leave their addiction, whilst giving people (children especially) honest information about drugs, treating them with respect and not as propaganda targets in governmental agenda. We need drug policy that respects science, not one that flies in the face of it. We need to recognise that prohibition makes organised criminals very wealthy and contributes to social problems in foreign countries, harming farmers and communities. We need to accept that keeping drugs illegal spawns countless other far more dangerous 'legal highs' that cause much more damage than do the real ones.

Above all we need to stop being so crazy about the subject, educate ourselves as a nation and listen to reason, or else our parliamentary representatives will continue to appeal to our unreason for easy votes.
    Great post as always miser. 100% completely agree with everything you said.

ReputationRep:
    No, not all drugs. But I'd go as far to legalise some harder drugs and tax them at an extortionate rate to discourage people from buying them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atom john)
    Legalise all drugs ? No. Research into how legalising certain drugs would affect the public and the economy? Yes.

For drugs like marijuana there needs to be some serious questions asked about whether spending vast amounts of police time and money on a drug that is just as dangerous, or even less so, than alcohol or nicotine. The number of deaths caused by alcohol addiction, drunk driving and other alcohol-related things is vastly, vastly higher than the deaths caused by marijuana. It's not addictive and doesn't possess the capacity to make people violent if handled correctly, therefore legalising and taxing seems remarkable logical.

Legalising harder drugs such as cocaine meths i would be more skeptical about. Drugs are illegal for a reason in most cases and this especially true where the drugs are more risky. It's not that hard to overdose on coke compared to pot or nicotine but you could then point to the number of people brought into hospital every day with alcohol poisoning.

A lot of it comes down to the stigma surrounding a lot of drugs and the flawed democratic process that would prevent politicians from devoting any time to it. The law of murder and non-fatal offences against the person is astonishingly out-dated and inadequate and yet receives no attention from any of the majour parties, therefore i would think it unlikely that anything will happen with regards to legalising drugs any time soon.

The research has been done, over and over. Several countries have (successfully) implemented changes legalizing or decriminalizing drugs.

It works.

It's good for everyone asides those that profit from continued prohibition.

The 'war on drugs' is morally indefensible.

(Original post by Kiss)
    No, not all drugs. But I'd go as far to legalise some harder drugs and tax them at an extortionate rate to discourage people from buying them.

Because that wouldn't just lead to a continuation of the black market and/or people spending less on other things, like food for their kids, so that they can continue their habits.

The annoying thing is that politicians seem to think in the same way you do, and the majority of the public are morons and buy into it.

ReputationRep:
    No, No, and thrice No. Just go on the "soft" drug of marijuanna. Prolonged use of it has serious effects, paranoia being one of them, and other mental health issues. The modern move to recreational drug use is no reason to legalise or even decriminalise. Drugs are dangerous, to oneself and to society, just say NO.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about legalising all drugs as there would be a number of logistical issues and also it has the potential to be a bit risky. On the other hand, it appears to have worked quite well in Portugal. Between 1999 and 2003, drug related deaths fell by 57% due to legalisation of recreational amounts.

However, our attitude of criminalising and then putting in prison drug users is completely illogical. The aims of the criminal law are not being fulfilled at all. There are, generally, two types of drug users: those who use it recreationally and those who are addicted. there are very Few 'in the middle.' By putting in prison those who only take drugs recreationally, we are infringing upon the freedoms of those who pose no harm to society. They do not take enough to cause hospitalisation and then become a cost to the NHS and society, they do not need to commit crimes to get their next dose as they are not addicted and therefore there is no reason to imprison them.

On the other hand those who are addicted will not recover or be deterred by imprisonment as it is, at this point, a medical condition. Addiction is a chemical issue, not one of choice. Therefore a treatment and therapy approach would be so much more effective and beneficial to the users and society.

Drug dealers on the other hand should be imprisoned.

ReputationRep:

There have been studies (one by the Maudsley iirc) that seem to show that its the ratio of THC to other cannabinoids in hi grade cannabis that cause panic attacks and psychoses. A higher proportion of THC seems to be linked to problematic reactions to cannabis. Friends who know their weed tell me that this can be to do with how cannabis is dried and cured before going to market, with a shorter turnover leading to higher THC ratio.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.