Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What is your favourite historical event(s) to learn about? Watch

ReputationRep:
    War of the League of Augsburg/most of the latter half of Louis XIV's reign, when he really got into his stride.

ReputationRep:
    Personallyi always like soviet russia and the empire

ReputationRep:
    Anything to do with the Medieval ages, particularly key wars like War of the Roses, Hundred Years War etc.

ReputationRep:
    WW2, Eastern Front WW2, Soviet Russia, Ancient Greece, The Persian Wars, Crusades and The Bronze Age Collapse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharlieJH)
    Is it the story of Henry and his 6 wives? Rosa Park making a stand for her race on the Montgomery bus? Or even something more recent 9/11?

My favourite is either the civil war in England - Oliver Cromwell vs Charles 1. Or learning about KKK and how (nearly) everything has changed since then

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Has to be the Cold War but mainly the Vietnam war

ReputationRep:
    I think mine has to be WWII. Obviously this encompasses a lot but I never get bored of reading about WWII or watching things about WWII.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    The transition of the Roman Republic to the Empire. It has some of the most interesting personalities in history. Sulla, Cicero, Cato, Marius, Pompey, Mark Anthony, Augustus, Agrippa and of course Julius Caesar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacob :))
    The transition of the Roman Republic to the Empire. It has some of the most interesting personalities in history. Sulla, Cicero, Cato, Marius, Pompey, Mark Anthony, Augustus, Agrippa and of course Julius Caesar.
    This, or for me European History in the 18th-early 20th centuries (general I know).

ReputationRep:
    Imperial Russia/the Russian Revolution

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Habsburg)
    This, or for me European History in the 18th-early 20th centuries (general I know).
    Nice name by the way. I like that period as well especially Napoleon. Revolutionary France did style itself in the Roman Republic and its transition to an Empire is comparable, if far faster.

ReputationRep:
    Nice name by the way. I like that period as well especially Napoleon. Revolutionary France did style itself in the Roman Republic and its transition to an Empire is comparable, if far faster.
    Thank you very much

And yeah, I'm very interested and power/political history, so I guess my interest in Robespierre, Napoleon, Bismarck, etc. as well as Cicero and Caesar sort of comes to the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much

And yeah, I'm very interested and power/political history, so I guess my interest in Robespierre, Napoleon, Bismarck, etc. as well as Cicero and Caesar sort of comes to the same thing?
    Yeh. "Great man" history is the best. I'm pretty sure Napoleon is the most influential person of the modern era.

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure Napoleon is the most influential person of the modern era.
    Definitely.

I love the quotation by William Pitt the Younger in 1806 during the Napoleonic Wars:

"Roll up that map: it will not be wanted these ten years"

ReputationRep:
    Definitely.

I love the quotation by William Pitt the Younger in 1806 during the Napoleonic Wars:

"Roll up that map: it will not be wanted these ten years"
    He really defined modern Europe. It's hard to see Germany and Italy even being single nations today without the sense of Nationalism he created.

ReputationRep:
    Rosa parks was kind of boring and I learned about that in citizenship anyway.
    Nobody died so it was pretty boring.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Roman gladiators, Crusades, Medieval Tournaments, Witchcraft, Pirates and bloody code.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to know more about the crucifixion and the alleged 'resurrection' of Jesus.

ReputationRep:
    The causes of the decline and fall of the Roman Empire. Not strictly speaking an event.

ReputationRep:
    There's a lot of areas of history I love but the most interesting for me is easily the early 20th century:

• The road to the First World War (the Arms Races, the Franco-Prussian War 1870-1871, civil unrest in the Balkans, the Moroccan Crises, the Alliance System and of course the Assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand)

• The outbreak of war (too much to list )

• Stalemate on the Western Front and all the other campaigns (Eastern Front, Africa, Gallipoli, War at Sea etc)
    • End of the War and the Treaty of Versailles which paved the way for the Second War
    • The End of Imperial Russia, the growth of liberty under the Provisional Government, Lenin's April Theses, the July Days, the Kornilov Revolt the October Revolution and the rise of Communism, the Russian Civil War, War Communism, the Kronstadt Rebellion, the NEP, Lenin's death and Stalin's rise to power, collectivisation, the Five Year Plans and the Purges (yeah a lot happened in Russia in a short period of time :rolleyes:)
    • The End of Imperial Germany, hyperinflation, the Golden Era of the Weimar Republic, the rise of Hitler and the NSDAP, German rearmament, the militarisation of the Rhineland, the Munich Agreement, the invasion of Poland, the outbreak of war.

Yeah I definitely like the first half of the 20th century the best for historical study

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.