Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by special1ne)
    Wow, I'd be forced out if I ended up having to pay £160pw! On the maximum student loan and grant alone (i.e. not working) my weekly income is roughly £180pw. When I first moved out I rented was a £380pcm double room in a houseshare (then again, the landlord lived in, and it was in pre-Olympics Stratford). At my parent's place, I now pay a third of that, but still buy a monthly student Oyster travelcard (Zones 1-2) for £81.50, and my weekly food shop works out to be £25-28.
    Aha, now that's alright. £25-28.

£380pcm, that makes £95 per week. And £190 if you had to take it wholly for yourself. Do you have your own bathroom?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaylorGang_4)
    4 including me haha. I don't even know how much is spent on food, I just thought £50 a week was a good estimate for one person.
    I can't believe your parents are packing you off to Uni without having taught you any life skills. I bet you can't use a washing machine either can you? Any idea what the current water bill is?

£50 is a huge amount. I can feed a family of 4 on that, including large amounts of lactose free milk. I also only buy free-range meat. Honestly, you could easily do it for £15, especially if you buy in bulk. It would be even cheaper if you have a shared kitchen and find people to shop with.

ReputationRep:
    Just because I don't do the weekly shopping doesn't mean they haven't taught me any life skills I think I'm capable of fending for myself, otherwise I wouldn't even put myself in the situation where I'll be dependent on myself when it comes to everyday tasks. University is the final step towards full independence. If I wasn't prepared for the step forward, I wouldn't take that step. However, I am. Thankfully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha510)
    'Everything' includes accommodation?
    Yep my first year I rented privately then second year my flat was university owned. Rent and bills came to £450. It is doable if you budget but I obviously couldn't buy whatever I wanted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1on4)
    I can't believe your parents are packing you off to Uni without having taught you any life skills. I bet you can't use a washing machine either can you? Any idea what the current water bill is?

£50 is a huge amount. I can feed a family of 4 on that, including large amounts of lactose free milk. I also only buy free-range meat. Honestly, you could easily do it for £15, especially if you buy in bulk. It would be even cheaper if you have a shared kitchen and find people to shop with.
    Ow, don't be so harsh on him... he was just trying to help, in whatever way he could.

But thanks for shedding light.

(Original post by TaylorGang_4)
    Just because I don't do the weekly shopping doesn't mean they haven't taught me any life skills I think I'm capable of fending for myself, otherwise I wouldn't even put myself in the situation where I'll be dependent on myself when it comes to everyday tasks. University is the final step towards full independence. If I wasn't prepared for the step forward, I wouldn't take that step. However, I am. Thankfully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Relax.

(Original post by x-pixie-x)
    Yep my first year I rented privately then second year my flat was university owned. Rent and bills came to £450. It is doable if you budget but I obviously couldn't buy whatever I wanted.

Nice. I must say, I admire you actually did that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha510)
    That sounds alright. And, can I ask how much you pay for accommodation, if that isn't much intrusive?
    We use to pay 1500 a month between 3 of us on baker street, now moved back to uni campus which is about 115 a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xamanus)
    We use to pay 1500 a month between 3 of us on baker street, now moved back to uni campus which is about 115 a week.
    Wow, uni campus is still cheaper!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1on4)

How on earth do you feed a family of four on £50 per week?! There's 3 of us and my parents tend to spend around £250 per month on food and it's not like we splash out on top quality stuff much either.

I think £50 per week sounds reasonable. It's many people in this thread that need teaching a life lesson - do you not realise how expensive food is now? You're looking at over £3 for a pack of 3 chicken breasts, and the same for a packet of mince meat. How on earth can you survive and be healthy on £15 per week?! Do you only buy the 'basics' brands or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11:11)
    How on earth do you feed a family of four on £50 per week?! There's 3 of us and my parents tend to spend around £250 per month on food and it's not like we splash out on top quality stuff much either.

I think £50 per week sounds reasonable. It's many people in this thread that need teaching a life lesson - do you not realise how expensive food is now? You're looking at over £3 for a pack of 3 chicken breasts, and the same for a packet of mince meat. How on earth can you survive and be healthy on £15 per week?! Do you only buy the 'basics' brands or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    you're telling people who live independently that they don't know what the price of food is...? right-o. if you have no idea how to cook and are buying £5 ready meals every night then the price would rack up, but as someone who cooks i spend around £25 a week on food and most students consider that a lot. and i agree with them - if i didn't buy myself luxuries like halloumi cheese and tomatoes on the vine i would save myself money and still be eating well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.