Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,
    Anyone got any tips for comparing sunlight on the grass short stories please? Also I am doing omam and the relationships poetry cluster, really hope the farmer's bride comes up!! Which exam is first?

How much revision are you planning to do for a/a*??
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Of Mice And Men and Inspector Calls, and then for poetry, Conflict.
    Anyone has some tips for answering questions on Inspector Calls, as I'm really struggling with that one. Everything what I write never seems enough - . -
    And I don't even want to think about poetry... even though I'm A/A* student, I just don't understand it :<
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zippyzazu)
    Hiya,
    Anyone got any tips for comparing sunlight on the grass short stories please? Also I am doing omam and the relationships poetry cluster, really hope the farmer's bride comes up!! Which exam is first?

How much revision are you planning to do for a/a*??
    Thanks
    You can comment on a lot in all of the short stories - which one would you like help with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    You can comment on a lot in all of the short stories - which one would you like help with?
    I've been struggling with On Seeing The 100% Perfect Girl One Beautiful April Morning - is there actually much you can say for it in terms of language and structure? All I can think of is that the story is a metaphor for lost opportunities...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Farmer's Bride came up in January... so I don't think its gonna come up in June. I really do hope its To His Coy Mistress though! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obliviate)
    I'm doing Of Mice And Men and Inspector Calls, and then for poetry, Conflict.
    Anyone has some tips for answering questions on Inspector Calls, as I'm really struggling with that one. Everything what I write never seems enough - . -
    And I don't even want to think about poetry... even though I'm A/A* student, I just don't understand it :<
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is what that guy on youtube wrote for an IC question. It's definitely a high band 6 but he wrote way more than you would be expected to.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/we-ca...05797849461271

ReputationRep:
    I am doing the anthology, Mr Pip and the crucible

ReputationRep:
    can someone give me their opinion on a extract of my answer (greatly appreciate it if you do)

How do you respond to gerald?

Priestley makes the audience respond to Gerald as someone who withholds a double life to escape from the immortality of the Birling's

Priestley at the start of the play entices the audiences suspense and sense of mystery towards gerald. this is seen when sheila saya "Last summer you never came near me" this shows how sheila (gerald's fiancee) seems uncertain of geralds activities during the summer because he is reluctant to tell her. this suggests gerald is rather secrative and unwilling to share his life with sheila. the reason being is because possiblt the marriage may have been forced since "Rivals in business" suggests the two capitalist families got them together solely on the grounds of business. this makes the audience feel that despite gerald's supposed secret behaviour, he never want to marry sheila but is doing so to not become an outcast. priestley conveyed geralds love life like this because historically, capitalist families never wanted to fall into a lower social class, so forced their chidlren into arranged marriages causing them in many cases to hold a secret lover. Priestley uses gerald is a vivid example. this is becuase his relationship with Daisy renton (despite being a shameful one because the play is based within a patriarchal society) is used to represent society should not be controlling but allow young people and everyone else have their own freedom. Priestley makes us respond to gerald by using subtle implications associated within the play such as "never came near me" as someone who is secrative and keeps his true feelings recluse.

I would greatly appreciate the feedback since I am not very confident over my work. (this is just an extract by the way)

ReputationRep:
    Here is the Of Mice and Men essay, which was given to me by my English teacher. It was awarded 25 marks out of 30 - equating to a grade A. I have taken pictures of the essay as it would take me a very long time to type it up as it is 7 pages in length. The pictures aren't crystal-clear but you should be able to see what he has wrote. I hope it helps you.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1367174847.190004.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  113.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1367174869.747956.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  110.1 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1367174879.871213.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  106.9 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1367174903.333000.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  111.3 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1367174924.098927.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  26.8 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1367174933.282668.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  95.3 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about the second-to-last attachment. It is quite small and hard to understand. I have reattached it here:

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1367175091.533120.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  180.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wow. How will we write up to 7 pages for 1 question in 45 minutes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cleveradam)
    Wow. How will we write up to 7 pages for 1 question in 45 minutes?
    You don't have to. This essay was done as a controlled assessment - not an exam! They had 3 hours for it. This essay should show you what you need to do for an A/A* and provide you with a range of perceptive points.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im doing Place cluster; OMAM and AIC
    Dont know how to answer the OMAM and AIC questions I need help

ReputationRep:
    I am doing moon on the tides but the poems i am doing is conflict and the books are Of mice and Women in Black

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ElLeonNino)
    Im doing Place cluster; OMAM and AIC
    Dont know how to answer the OMAM and AIC questions I need help
    I will have a look over the poems in the Place cluster and see if I can find anything for you. Do you have any poem that you want help with in particular?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How will the poetry exam work?
    I was told we are given 3 poems (in my case ,Harmonium, Sonnet 116 and the hour), and one surprise question?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing to kill a mocking bird, an inspector calls and relationships poetry cluster

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolface32)
    How will the poetry exam work?
    I was told we are given 3 poems (in my case ,Harmonium, Sonnet 116 and the hour), and one surprise question?
    I don't do the poetry exam myself, as I am taking Pathway 2. I do know, however, that you are given a series of questions in Section A and you have the opportunity to choose the question you feel you can answer best.

In Section A, they often give you a question that requires you to compare poems together. For example, how are relationships presented in Quickdraw and one other poem of your choice?
    You need to make sure you write about everything you can and choose another poem which you can compare with - it should have similarities and differences. Talk about techniques, like juxtaposition, oxymorons, enjambment, the rhyming scheme and how punctuation is used. You could remember the mnemonic, LISTS, which stands for:

L - Lexis (words)
    I - Imagery
    S - Structure
    T - Tone
    S - Syntax (Sentence Structures)

For Section B, I would recommend that you spend some time analysing the poem and developing your understanding before you start writing. Look for similes and metaphors, specific word choices, onomatopoeia, themes, what does the rhythm represent and is the structure regular or irregular? If you can, look for unstressed and stressed syllables and discuss the metre of the poem - what could that represent? Talking about the metre of a poem is certainly an A* skill, if it is done well. Also, don't forget to interpret. Pick out words that could have multiple meanings.

I hope this helps you. If you need any help message me on this thread or PM me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    I don't do the poetry exam myself, as I am taking Pathway 2. I do know, however, that you are given a series of questions in Section A and you have the opportunity to choose the question you feel you can answer best.

In Section A, they often give you a question that requires you to compare poems together. For example, how are relationships presented in Quickdraw and one other poem of your choice?
    You need to make sure you write about everything you can and choose another poem which you can compare with - it should have similarities and differences. Talk about techniques, like juxtaposition, oxymorons, enjambment, the rhyming scheme and how punctuation is used. You could remember the mnemonic, LISTS, which stands for:

L - Lexis (words)
    I - Imagery
    S - Structure
    T - Tone
    S - Syntax (Sentence Structures)

For Section B, I would recommend that you spend some time analysing the poem and developing your understanding before you start writing. Look for similes and metaphors, specific word choices, onomatopoeia, themes, what does the rhythm represent and is the structure regular or irregular? If you can, look for unstressed and stressed syllables and discuss the metre of the poem - what could that represent? Talking about the metre of a poem is certainly an A* skill, if it is done well. Also, don't forget to interpret. Pick out words that could have multiple meanings.

I hope this helps you. If you need any help message me on this thread or PM me!
    I appreciate the response, really helped me understand the questions clearly.
    But I am still wondering if you are giving 3 main poems, 1 poem and another one of your choice, to compare? I don't know if that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    I've heard people talking about 3 poems that "won't come up" in previous years' threads. Is this just pure speculation or is there a way to find out what poems aren't going to feature?
    I'm doing the Character and Voice cluster by the way. Any advice about how to practice comparisons?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    From what ik my teacher has recommened to learn all poems but to remember the main points like what is the poem about and how does writer shows it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.