Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edsjay23)
    Hey you're the guy who helped me with my C2 question. Hey again
    I would prefer to do Computer Science or Natural Medicine, or dentistry. I would prefer Cambridge but wouldn't really be fussed. Is there a minimum requirement at GCSE for Oxford?
    hey they look similar to my GCSEs and I got an interview at Oxford this year The interview obviously plays a very big part of the application process and you have to do pretty well in your AS Levels and have a killer personal statement and reference, so I wouldn't really worry about your GCSEs... they look good but they're only one part of the process.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    No worries! I used to obsess about gcses as well (majority of B's and C's) but realised that alevels matter far more, do well now and your on track for success
    Haha yeah. Are you currently doing A Levels now? Also can you please answer my question on this forum as well. Thank you. Also yeah, I'm really going to work so hard now for my AS exams.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2309725

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, thank you. I hope you do brilliant in whatever you want to do
    Same to you

ReputationRep:
    I know A Levels are more important but I am unsure if my GCSE grades are good enough.

I am currently taking Maths, Further Maths, English Lit, Chemistry and Physics and General Studies (compulsory, I know it doesn't count for anything) at A Level.

At Gcse I got:
    Maths = A*
    Statistics = A*
    <snip>
    So yeah, are these GCSE's good enough to get in to a competitive course?
    <snip>
    I would prefer to do Computer Science or Natural Medicine, or dentistry.
    Hi
    For CompSci at Oxford we don't have a minimum requirement for GCSEs. Your results are probably slightly under the average we see for CompSci, but it's just that: an average. I've seen successful students with a lot worse. You've done well in Maths, and that's important to us. We'll certainly look at your results (and we look at this in the context of your schools' results) but it's only one thing of many that we look at. The Maths Admissions Test that all our candidates sit, plus the interviews are a much more important part of the application process.

We aren't looking for students with any specific knowledge of computing, but we are very much looking for students with an enthusiasm for the subject and a who have a proven flair for Maths. It's also worth remembering that we only offer on three A Levels. We'll notice if you've done more, but it wouldn't (normally) form part of the offer. AAAA wouldn't be seen as equivalent to A*AA.

In terms of subject choice at A Level, for us Maths is essential, Further Maths highly recommended as the best preparation for our courses; and we also suggest a science subject such as Physics. So you've got that covered nicely. From what you've said, and assuming you're on track to meet our standard conditional offer (for straight CompSci A*AA with at least an A in Maths, with the A* in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing) we'd be happy to receive an application from you.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept)
    Hi
    For CompSci at Oxford we don't have a minimum requirement for GCSEs. Your results are probably slightly under the average we see for CompSci, but it's just that: an average. I've seen successful students with a lot worse. You've done well in Maths, and that's important to us. We'll certainly look at your results (and we look at this in the context of your schools' results) but it's only one thing of many that we look at. The Maths Admissions Test that all our candidates sit, plus the interviews are a much more important part of the application process.

We aren't looking for students with any specific knowledge of computing, but we are very much looking for students with an enthusiasm for the subject and a who have a proven flair for Maths. It's also worth remembering that we only offer on three A Levels. We'll notice if you've done more, but it wouldn't (normally) form part of the offer. AAAA wouldn't be seen as equivalent to A*AA.

In terms of subject choice at A Level, for us Maths is essential, Further Maths highly recommended as the best preparation for our courses; and we also suggest a science subject such as Physics. So you've got that covered nicely. From what you've said, and assuming you're on track to meet our standard conditional offer (for straight CompSci A*AA with at least an A in Maths, with the A* in either Maths, Further Maths, Physics or Computing) we'd be happy to receive an application from you.

Hope that helps.
    Hi thank you so much for your reply. I am just wondering is there any relevant work experience required for the computer science course at Oxford?

ReputationRep:
    Hi thank you so much for your reply. I am just wondering is there any relevant work experience required for the computer science course at Oxford?
    You're welcome.
    We don't require work experience. We are looking for students with a genuine interest in the subject. We want to hear about what you've done in the field. We don't have a tick-list of things we want you to have done. We'd rather hear about what you've chosen to do and what you've found interesting about it. That might be work experience, but it could just as well be something else. That's what makes a personal statement personal.

Work experience can be useful, but it really depends what you end up doing during that time. We wouldn't, for example, be very impressed if you'd spent two weeks making tea, even if it was at Google. But if it something a bit more CompSci based, and it's helped convince you it's the subject for you, then we'd like to hear a little about it in your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxford Computer Science Dept)
    You're welcome.
    We don't require work experience. We are looking for students with a genuine interest in the subject. We want to hear about what you've done in the field. We don't have a tick-list of things we want you to have done. We'd rather hear about what you've chosen to do and what you've found interesting about it. That might be work experience, but it could just as well be something else. That's what makes a personal statement personal.

Work experience can be useful, but it really depends what you end up doing during that time. We wouldn't, for example, be very impressed if you'd spent two weeks making tea, even if it was at Google. But if it something a bit more CompSci based, and it's helped convince you it's the subject for you, then we'd like to hear a little about it in your personal statement.
    Ok thanks

ReputationRep:
    One thing that annoys me about these threads is not how often they occur, but how nobody seems to realise that Oxford and Cambridge are not hung up on GCSE grades.
    C
    I had an offer for History at Oxford on October with 1 A*, 7 As 2 Bs and 1 C. I was told that my Bs and C would stop me getting in (by teachers), but what really matters is your AS performance along with any aptitude tests you need to take. If you want to apply to Oxbridge apply: don't worry about your GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scatach)
    One thing that annoys me about these threads is not how often they occur, but how nobody seems to realise that Oxford and Cambridge are not hung up on GCSE grades.
    C
    I had an offer for History at Oxford on October with 1 A*, 7 As 2 Bs and 1 C. I was told that my Bs and C would stop me getting in (by teachers), but what really matters is your AS performance along with any aptitude tests you need to take. If you want to apply to Oxbridge apply: don't worry about your GCSEs.
    I was asking because I didn't know. Congrats on your offer btw and thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    I was asking because I didn't know. Congrats on your offer btw and thanks for the advice.
    It's fine to ask, it's more the people who are convinced that GCSEs are critical that I have a problem with.

Best of luck with your application!

ReputationRep:
    Yep, thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.