Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

what happens when the oil runs out Watch

ReputationRep:
    Barrel Production will fall.

ReputationRep:
    Oil will last a lot longer than 50 years.

Look at Gulf Keystone in Kurdistan, the Atlantic continental shelf, discoveries off East Africa, heavy oil sands in Canada ...... lots more can be extracted but it will be more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Basically theres this new process thats comes out now where the eneregy churned out from metal, wood, plastic etc material waste is stored in a generator and that transmitted to where its needed. With the increasing numbers ofwaste materials including cars furniture etc i predict it wont take long to assilimate enough energy to provide the world. Also theres a new washing machine coming out that uses the energy within itself to power the washing machine. We need more self renewing appliances which have their own electricity circuit to power themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redolent)
    The idea is that by the time the oil runs out, we will have converted to alternate energy sources for all our needs

A rather lulsy idea.

It doesn't matter anyway, because long before we run out the human population will be so great that the power we're producing will be nowhere near adequate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    There is plenty of oil left; the amount of oil available increases with our ability to mine it. However, we can't afford to pump it all into the atmosphere. By EU agreement the UK will be getting 15% of its energy from renewable sources by 2020, but this isn't nearly enough. What is unsustainable in the short-term is our playing with climate change.

Hopefully we will get breakthroughs in technologies allowing us to transition more easily to renewables - we will do eventually, but how long our environment will pay the price for our sluggishness remains to be seen.
    You can't just convert to renewables in a decade, just like oil or any other energy source which became the dominant player it took time for the infrastructure and technology to be available to use it on a wide scale. It's going up around 1% of the UK's energy usage per year which might increase in the future, that isn't bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PostgradMatt)
    Do you understand how reliant the worlds exponentially growing population is on the oil reserves? We can use alternative methods, but right now we are no where near capable of filling the gap when the oil reserves run out. There is a major economic, political and fundamentally environmental crisis ahead of us, its no joke. This sort of ignorance is really unhelpful.
    I'm not being ignorant. All I'm saying is that in the next 100 years we may come up with alternative methods that wont ruin our environment. I didn't say we are capable now of filling the gap.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Idle)
    You can't just convert to renewables in a decade, just like oil or any other energy source which became the dominant player it took time for the infrastructure and technology to be available to use it on a wide scale. It's going up around 1% of the UK's energy usage per year which might increase in the future, that isn't bad.
    I didn't mean to imply that we could, but practically no government is taking global warming seriously. Efforts to collaborate have largely been failures. The US is effectively disregarding the Kyoto Protocol. It's a big prisoner's dilemma situation where the jailors always win.

ReputationRep:
    There's alternatives like nuclear energy

ReputationRep:
    we'll just go to something else. oil isn't the be all and end all, there's plenty of it left and when it's nearly gone we'll start getting serious about alternatives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoholicPolyglot)
    I'm not being ignorant. All I'm saying is that in the next 100 years we may come up with alternative methods that wont ruin our environment. I didn't say we are capable now of filling the gap.
    Alot of research is being done in tier 3 biofuels (Grow from bacteria and algae). These get produce pure oil which we can use for plastics medicines etc but production will never be able to get up to current dmands so we hydrogen cars and renewable and nuclear power (fission and hopefully fusion when viable). If we reduce coal, increase gas and nuclear (but not by too much to create a future burden) while continuing to develop and roll out creative abd more cost effective renewables. Tidal power would be fantastic (needs a lot of research) but things like domestic photovoltic systems (possibly made out of rust to convert water to hydrogen to use in cars) and non mechinical wind power (EWICON) and vertical axis (Aerogernator X) will have there parts to play and could enable a totally renewable ebergy source in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Depends if we find any other sources of oil in the future, but in any case, eventually it will run out.

The result, if we haven't invested enough in green or nuclear, will be catastrophic I think with energy prices rocketing and ordinary people not being able to heat their homes & so forth - this isn't even looking at potential conflicts breaking out over oil.

And all of this isn't even taking into account the result of using all that oil either, with rising sea levels & so on threatening arable land, with pressures from a growing population making it worse. Essentially we either need to cut the population or live within our means - because the way we are at the moment is unsustainable.

Yeah... it's gonna be a grim few centuries to come if we don't get our acts together :/

ReputationRep:
    We could certainly save oil by using 'hydrogen fuel'. I'm going to use Top Gear as evidence, but it appears to work very well for cars! That would save a lot of crude oil being cracked to form shorter hydrocarbons for use in fuel! Plus, hydrogen combusts cleanly to form only water!

There must be some difficulty with the hydrogen fuel method, as I don't see why more car manufacturers haven't implemented it already.

Nuclear power would be probably the next step. If we use atomic bombs, I don't see why the governments would hesitate in using nuclear power next.

Solar power, wind turbines are definitely useful, but I don't think they'd be able to sustain everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idle)

One thing lots of people seem to overlook is that the alternatives to oil based energy all require.... Oil. Most people don't seem to realise the immense range of things it's used for.

It'd be funny if they weren't so sincere in their belief that we could just switch over to alternatives with the click of a finger.

ReputationRep:
    we will use engines powered by hydrogen gas

ReputationRep:
    People will finally realise that modern nuclear power despite the scaremongering of various groups of NIMBYs is a clean (No CO2 and newer reactor technology produces less radiactive waste), long lasting and over time a cheaper alternative.

ReputationRep:
    Problem with hydrogen is storage. Nuclear the problem is not diasters but storing spent fuel rods. Thorium and other new reactor tech hopefully will reduce this. Renewable tech like solar and wind and tidal streams will be good diversified micro producers. Tidal barrages on the other hand could impact more largely. I hope to see a world where every turn you make around the country you see some form of power generation.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.