Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

At what age does it become a compliment to be told you look younger than you are? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    What makes it flattering? 21 year olds haven't started showing signs of aging.
    As human beings, right from becoming a fertilised egg, we "age" every single day of our lives. A baby turning into a child is showing signs of "ageing", and you almost certainly won't look exactly the same at 15 as you at 18, or 18 as you do at 20 etc. We age until we die.

--

In actual answer to the question, I think that teenagers like to look older (ie adults: 18), whereas once you're over 18 I believe it's a compliment to say "you look 18" because it's the youngest you can be without being a child.. if that makes any sense! You want to be told you look young, but not like a child. Of course, a 50 year old being told she looks younger may have a larger effect on her self esteem than a 20 year old, but that's down to individual preference.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by geetar)
    See that's what I would have said, possibly a few years younger. I'm really surprised so many people are saying 22 or 23!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LauraRMCF)
    I'm 17, and constantly get asked out by men much older than myself (earlyto late twenties). Once I tell them my age they're in complete shock as they thought I was 19, 20 or 21 lol. When I was at work, one of my co-workers who just turned 20, asked my boss who looked older and he said I, but mainly because of my 'body'. I'm not really sure what it is. But for now, I'm flattered lol.
    Might not be because you look older, might be because you look like a .... (fill in the rest)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Might not be because you look older, might be because you look like a .... (fill in the rest)
    I do dress myself in a 'classy' manner. I have a large chest and behind so that may be why. I don't look like a ... though lol.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 24 and its a regular problem! I always get called cute and being petite doesn't help. My passport photo is 10 years old and I still look the same. And a lady at work likes pinching my cheeks and calls me baby, that shouldn't be happening at my age! But I don't mind too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'd say about 30+. I'm 20 and everyone thinks I'm 15/16 and I even get ID'd for energy drink and paracetamol sometimes so right now, its more of a nuisance than a compliment haha

Someone told me I looked 15 the other day I'm 21, I don't really see it as a compliment to be honest for some reason it just made me feel a bit awkward not sure why though, suppose when I'm 30 I'll be loving it.

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm 21 and I got ID'd to buy a lottery ticket which really annoyed me. I think it's annoying if you get mistaken for a child when you aren't one, so when people think you're under 16 and you're not.

ReputationRep:
    To all the people who can take it as a compliment, I salute you.. I never can, but thats probably because whenever Im told I look young its always in an insulting way/context.. Im 20, but will be 21 in a few months, but am constantly told I look about 17. I dont wear make up at all so thats probably partly the reason.. At work strangers always make comments such as "so when do you go back to school? are you off school today?" and they seem to think this is hilarious when its not exactly the most witty thing they couldve came up with. I try not to let looking younger bother me because as people say, when Im older Ill look younger. But I think it is harder when you already are young because it is quite insulting being looked at as though you are a child. it also makes a lot of people think they can treat you like a child as well.. which is weird to be on the receiving end of when in your mind you dont feel that young or that "unintelligent"(?) but other people look at you that way and therefore treat you according to how you look, not how you think. If that makes any sense. But oddly enough usually when I go out to the pub I dont get ID'd.. despite being 5'1 with smallish boobs and a babyface

ReputationRep:
    More annoying to be guessed older tbh.

ReputationRep:
    I guess around 25ish. When I was in my teens/early 20s I used to get really offended when people said I looked younger and I used to get stick for it off those who looked older (I remember once being told that I wasnt a "proper" 19 year old as I looked younger). Now Im 28 I quite like getting told I look younger, although I was a bit pissed off when I couldnt put a horse on for the national last week as I was asked for id at the bookies and had none on me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ill be 23 soon and still get told I look really young, it only really bothers me when its done in a snidy 'look at you, you couldnt possibly be 22' or when Im with friends who then constantly rip the [email protected] or make comments about being sick of getting ID'd cause they are with me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel_delight)
    Ill be 23 soon and still get told I look really young, it only really bothers me when its done in a snidy 'look at you, you couldnt possibly be 22' or when Im with friends who then constantly rip the [email protected] or make comments about being sick of getting ID'd cause they are with me.
    Yeah I used to get that to, the odd thing is one of these girls who used to claim she used to get into over 21 clubs at 16 without me now claims she always gets IDed for the lottery now. Hmmm strange how she looks younger at 28 than she did at 16 :rolleyes:
    I always used to think it made others treat me like I was younger because I looked it.

I come from a young looking family though, my mum is 60 yet most people who dont know her think shes mid 40s. She used to have the same problem as I had when I was younger. So Im hoping I turn out like her :awesome:
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I spent most of my teenage years being mistaken for an adult, and now I'm 23 and people i work with are convinced I'm only 18. I basically have looked 18 since I was 14, and seem to have stopped aging since then lol! Best of both worlds as I got away with looking older when I wanted to and now I am getting old its nice to be told i look young!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For a guy at 23, it's not a compliment or helpful at all. I regularly get told I look younger than I am on nights out, being out with mates, and on the dating front too.

It's not cool having girls much younger than you come talking to you when you're taking your little cousins to a theme park. At 21 I had a gaggle of 16 year old girls approach to give me the number of their friend. It's really really awkward.
    It's not easy trying to meet girls your own age when they all assume you're much younger either. I'm not the only one that has this problem I hope? As much as i wouldn't wish the problem on someone else, it'd be nice to have someone who can relate.

My mum is in her late 40s and people usually assume she's my big sister when we go out places. I think it's 'good' genes. I don't think I'll find them helpful unless I still look fairly young in my 30s though

ReputationRep:
    Even at 19, I feel really awkward when people say "Oh my, I thought you were still in high school!"
    A few months ago I visited my old high school just to chill, and a new teacher asked me why I wasn't wearing my uniform. She insisted that I was in junior high. I really didn't know what to make of it.

The other day I was buying my single malt, and the shop keeper didnt even ID me.

Feeling pretty old for a 21 year old!

It goes both ways.

ReputationRep:
    im 21 and i hate getting id'd. i dont mind so much if its in a pub or for buying alcohol, because they could lose their job/go to prison if theyre wrong - however i find it very insulting when ID'd for party poppers or 15 rated games etc -_-
    People also seem to judge me on how young i look over important things such as jobs or finding a house - probably thinking im not sensible or mature enough.
    very rarely do i find it funny or flattering, and i dont expect to be appreaciative of young looks until im at least 35 :/

ReputationRep:
    yeah round 30. 90% of people go into panic mode about their age once they hit 30.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.