Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR B (Salters) F332 Tuesday 4th June 2013 Exam Discussion (Now Closed) Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    Has anyone got any notes or such? I'm planning on making a few out of mark schemes for recurring format questions, will post once I get A2 chemistry sorted
    There's some good notes on scribd and 'get revising', i'll post some links soon

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any info on the pre-release material for this exam?
    :mad::confused::rolleyes::cool::eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wadng)
    Does anyone have any info on the pre-release material for this exam?
    :mad::confused::rolleyes::cool::eek:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2294388

ReputationRep:
    This is going to be one of my toughest exams
    I got a high D for Unit 1 in january.. Hoping to get at least a B or A in Unit 1, I really want to get a B in this exam!
    Any tips on how to revise? I've written all my notes and just going over the content again.
    Hopefully I get a B overall in august but I really want an A like all of us do i guess!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xOsugaplumfairy)
    This is going to be one of my toughest exams
    I got a high D for Unit 1 in january.. Hoping to get at least a B or A in Unit 1, I really want to get a B in this exam!
    Any tips on how to revise? I've written all my notes and just going over the content again.
    Hopefully I get a B overall in august but I really want an A like all of us do i guess!
    I would say make sure you understand the content so you can apply it to different situations. And also do loads of past papers

ReputationRep:
    So i'm currently revising atmosphere and i was doing the assignments in the storylines and am totally stuck on Assignment 11! can somebody help me please! i'll post the question as well

'In 2001, the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere at Mauna Loa was 370ppm(by volume). The total mass of CO2 in the atmosphere was estimated to be about 2760Gt at that tim (1 Gt= 1 gigatonne = 1 x 10^9 tonnes.)
    Through the 4 years from 2001 to the end of 2004, it is estimated that 34Gt of fossil fuels were burned throughout the world.
    In 2004 the measured % of CO2 in the atmosphere at Mauna Loa was found to be 377ppm (by volume).

Now answer the following questions:
    a Assume that the 34Gt of fossil fuels burned in the four years were all C. Calculate the mass of CO2 formed by burning this mass of fuel.
    b Calculate the new total mass of CO2 in the atmosphere at the end of 2004, assuming that the extra CO2 came only from burning fossil fuels and that it stayed in the atmosphere.
    c By what % would you expect the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere to have increased in the 4 years?
    d By what % did the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere actually increase in the 4 years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Hotpie)
    AS
    Tell me about it, has put a lot of pressure for my A grade now:mad:

(Original post by EstebanK0)
    Yeah I'm in A2. You?
    AS meself. How hard is it compared to F331?

(Original post by super121)
    Yup
    I don't think the chemistry is that hard, it's just exam technique, and the boundaries are usually really tight
    They are indeed

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain to me how you know if a reaction is described as electrophilic or nucleophilic. Also what is the difference between an electrophile and a nucleophile ? Thank you so much in advance .

ReputationRep:
    I've got a list of reagents and conditions we need to learn, I can attach them if anyone's wants them

ReputationRep:
    i've got a list of reagents and conditions we need to learn, i can attach them if anyone's wants them
    yes pleaseee! :d

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madrevision)
    Can someone please explain to me how you know if a reaction is described as electrophilic or nucleophilic. Also what is the difference between an electrophile and a nucleophile ? Thank you so much in advance .
    I can never tell the difference between if its electrophilic substitution or electrophilic addition or nucleophilic addition or substitution, I've kind of just committed to memory which families do what. Electrophiles carry a positive charge and hence are attracted to electron-rich regions since they carry a negative charge. Whereas a nucleophile carries an overall negative charge or a slight negative charge and hence are attracted to species with positive charges.

ReputationRep:
    thank you,that cleared things up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    yes pleaseee! :d
    Here you go
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf Reagents and conditions.pdf (609.6 KB, 590 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madrevision)
    thank you,that cleared things up
    Also addition is when nothing is removed and something is added (i.e. breaking the double-bond and attaching itself), whilst subsitution is when something is removed and the other thing taking it's place (e.g. Bromine displacing Iodine from solution). Does that make sense?

ReputationRep:
    Here you go
    Thank you!

This is REAAAALLLY amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Here you go
    Dude when I get my A i'm gonna send you flowers and chocolate lol but seriously thank you, much appreciation

ReputationRep:
    Yes finally simple explanation yay :banana: thank you for helping out

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=blondie24;42126820]So i'm currently revising atmosphere and i was doing the assignments in the storylines and am totally stuck on Assignment 11! can somebody help me please! i'll post the question as well

'In 2001, the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere at Mauna Loa was 370ppm(by volume). The total mass of CO2 in the...

Now answer the following questions
    QUOTE]
    Do you still need help ?

ReputationRep:
    Guys i'm thinking about making a folder with common question that come up regularly and model answers for them. Would anyone else want to use it- I just want to know if it's worth doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Hotpie)
    I need to smash this exam to make up for my coursework... Does anyone else feel that Salters Coursework must have spawned from the very depths of hell?
    Its literally the easiest part of the course, just wait until the A2 coursework. It's what gives Salters it's reputation for being by far the hardest exam board, it's SERIOUSLY ****ing hard.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.