Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Minion)
    But the dress code is to wear something smart...wearing a tshirt with your band is not smart, wearing a headscarf does not stop you from wearing smart clothes.
    on what planet is wearing a headscarf 'smart'? certianly not indoors, would you accept wearing a hoodie indoors is smart?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FCI)
    on what planet is wearing a headscarf 'smart'? certianly not indoors, would you accept wearing a hoodie indoors is smart?
    Are you an idiot or are you incapable of understanding basic English? I said wearing a headscarf does not stop you from wearing smart clothes, a hoodie is not smart when you are expected to wear a suit of some sort, a scarf however does not stop you from wearing smart clothes such as a suit, it simply covers your hair. I made no comment on the scarf being smart. Though I wouldn't expect the scarf to be worn in a flamboyant way, that will then defeat the purpose in a religious sense but also not be seen as 'smart' if you are going in for an interview.

ReputationRep:
    Are you an idiot or are you incapable of understanding basic English? I said wearing a headscarf does not stop you from wearing smart clothes, a hoodie is not smart when you are expected to wear a suit of some sort, a scarf however does not stop you from wearing smart clothes such as a suit, it simply covers your hair. I made no comment on the scarf being smart. Though I wouldn't expect the scarf to be worn in a flamboyant way, that will then defeat the purpose in a religious sense but also not be seen as 'smart' if you are going in for an interview.
    To be fair you could wear a suit jacket and trousers, just with a tshirt instead of shirt, and look fairly smart if it's well laundered

ReputationRep:
    Equally, a headscarf is no smarter than a baseball cap really. If it goes against the dress code, then I think an employer is well within their rights to object, just as they would be with a turban or crucifix.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    To be fair you could wear a suit jacket and trousers, just with a tshirt instead of shirt, and look fairly smart if it's well laundered
    You can wear what ever is expected at the interview, my point is that a scarf will not or should not impact what is expected. All you are doing is covering your hair. That is why is mentioned the 'flamboyant' way people wear scarfs in public, sometimes that will not go in line with a 'smart' dress code. But normally a scarf should not effect the dress code in place.

(Original post by Steevee)
    Equally, a headscarf is no smarter than a baseball cap really. If it goes against the dress code, then I think an employer is well within their rights to object, just as they would be with a turban or crucifix.

If it is against the certain dress code policy then so be it, follow the rules or don't get that job. Though I will be against any job that stops you from 'expressing' your religion when it has no impact on your skills or the job tasks.

ReputationRep:
    im not the one suggesting spoiling a smart outfit with putdoor headgear like a headscraf or hoodie, so no, im not. No, there nothing stopping you wearing a suit and then putting on traffic cone on your head, but it isnt going to maintan the smart look.said something accurate- islam doesnt allow women to wear clothes in a fashionable sense, islamically clothes are only to cover women up -so the concept of being smart or looking good is wasted on someone who is rigidly practicing islam. and for once, you have

ReputationRep:

If it is against the certain dress code policy then so be it, follow the rules or don't get that job. Though I will be against any job that stops you from 'expressing' your religion when it has no impact on your skills or the job tasks.
    Whether you're against it or not really doesn't matter. Uniform has no real impact on your skills or job tasks much of the time. Neither does personal hygine or political views, but I doubt you'd be willing to employ a man with a Swastika on his forehead who smells.

ReputationRep:
    I just makes surey scarf is simple and neat and I'm wearing appropriate colours and a blazer with minimum jewellery, never had a problem with it, during the interviews make sure you open up well and show you have loads of confidence, the only job which I'd see u get rejected for it applying to join BNP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FCI)
    im not the one suggesting spoiling a smart outfit with putdoor headgear like a headscraf or hoodie, so no, im not. No, there nothing stopping you wearing a suit and then putting on traffic cone on your head, but it isnt going to maintan the smart look.said something accurate- islam doesnt allow women to wear clothes in a fashionable sense, islamically clothes are only to cover women up -so the concept of being smart or looking good is wasted on someone who is rigidly practicing islam. and for once, you have
    Since when did applying for a job with a headscarf turn into a fashion debate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by october12)
    Wearing a Green Day t-shirt isn't required for your love of Green Day and won't affect you in the slightest whereas not wearing the Hijab is required in islam (compulsory).
    So I could start a Green Day religion which requires it's followers to wear a Green Day t-shirt and then it would be acceptable?

I have no problem with people who decide to wear religious dress, but it's a choice, a choice that others should be completely free to judge. Take Sikh builders who don't have to wear hard hats, it's the most stupid thing ever, either be a Sikh or be a builder, if a job is incompatible with your religion then don't do it. Employers should absolutely be able to discriminate on religious grounds, the same as they should be able to discriminate on any other matter which is within the employee's control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FCI)
    I like how you go to the extreme....again you fail to understand, a headscarf usually has no impact on smartness unless it is those very bright sequenced scarfs etc. Dress code is simply smart.

Whether you're against it or not really doesn't matter. Uniform has no real impact on your skills or job tasks much of the time. Neither does personal hygine or political views, but I doubt you'd be willing to employ a man with a Swastika on his forehead who smells.
    huh? It will matter because I will be the person going for the job. If they ask for something that goes against my belief or stops me from following my faith without any harm or causing problems to others then I will be against it. I can either conform to their requests or not get the job.
    Either way, follow the rules/requests or don't get the job. If there is some form of discrimination then if you want challenge that ruling, then up to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FCI)
    I'd count earth as a planet, hoodies carry a bad stigma and are associated with gangs most of the time that's why they wouldn't be appropriate to be smartware having a bit of material wrapped around your head and tucked in your collar actually can look smart weather indoors or not, I'm sorry but Sikhs where turbans can they not look smart?

ReputationRep:
    poltical views have a major impact on many jobs - i wouldnt want a far-right activist being a school teacher as much as a islamist extremist being one either (primarily because neither would barely have the braincells to do any job)a hijab has no real impact on doing a typical job (unless smartness of appearance is imperitve) but being highly islamic has other issues for women as i siad in my earlier post - there are also numerous restrictions for women in terms who they can talk to, how they talk to them, if they are talking to men, they supossed to be supervised in covnersation to make sure they dont wander off topic etc etc. there are pages and pages of islamic edicts and instrution form shiekhs, amirs etc on this topic. An employer may be rightly concered this will interfere with being able to operate normally in a place of business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SannaS)
    I'd count earth as a planet, hoodies carry a bad stigma and are associated with gangs most of the time that's why they wouldn't be appropriate to be smartware having a bit of material wrapped around your head and tucked in your collar actually can look smart weather indoors or not, I'm sorry but Sikhs where turbans can they not look smart?
    i think turbans are suppossed to look smart, it is part of skiism to be presentable in public. In islam women are told to dress inconspicuously not fashionably and not draw attention, hence the hijab- it is not suppossed ot look smart, its suppossed to functional to cover the hair. islam dictates that women dont show the hair, so using an old rag would suffice, islamically.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FCI)
    i think turbans are suppossed to look smart, it is part of skiism to be presentable in public. In islam women are told to dress inconspicuously not fashionably and not draw attention, hence the hijab- it is not suppossed ot look smart, its suppossed to functional to cover the hair. islam dictates that women dont show the hair, so using an old rag would suffice, islamically.
    Conclusion....you are an idiot. Turbans are supposed to look smart and is part of sikhism while headscarf are not supposed to look smart and is part of Islam...like there are no other rulings of dress code in Islam...like I don't know...don't go dressing like a tramp and seem presentable and clean?

ReputationRep:

huh? It will matter because I will be the person going for the job. If they ask for something that goes against my belief or stops me from following my faith without any harm or causing problems to others then I will be against it. I can either conform to their requests or not get the job.
    Either way, follow the rules/requests or don't get the job. If there is some form of discrimination then if you want challenge that ruling, then up to you.
    You're decleration that you would 'be against' it, though your clarification helps understanding.

I agree with your sentiment, though I would exempt religious clothing, prayer etc from the bracket of 'discrimination.'

(Original post by FCI)
    poltical views have a major impact on many jobs - i wouldnt want a far-right activist being a school teacher as much as a islamist extremist being one either (primarily because neither would barely have the braincells to do any job)a hijab has no real impact on doing a typical job (unless smartness of appearance is imperitve) but being highly islamic has other issues for women as i siad in my earlier post - there are also numerous restrictions for women in terms who they can talk to, how they talk to them, if they are talking to men, they supossed to be supervised in covnersation to make sure they dont wander off topic etc etc. there are pages and pages of islamic edicts and instrution form shiekhs, amirs etc on this topic. An employer may be rightly concered this will interfere with being able to operate normally in a place of business.
    So, you agree with me? :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I think they're are certain connotations associated with someone wearing a hijab. Wearing one at least makes someone more likely to have extremist islamic views such as how they can interact with males. I wouldn't feel confortable asking someone with a hijab to help me in the bikini section of a shop...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reena95)
    I wouldn't feel confortable asking someone with a hijab to help me in the bikini section of a shop...

ReputationRep:
    So you won't have freedom of religion? Wearing a headscarf in an office does not/should not really go against the dress code (should it be a normal smart wear). What would you suggest to be worn then, headscarf does nothing to hurt anyone else nor should it really effect their skills at their work place.
    If I believed in and worshipped Pallas Athene, would i be entitled days off during the Panathenaia and allowed to wear what they wore in Ancient Athens to celebrate her? I think not... Besides, religions stupid anyway... its for the dim-witted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FCI)
    I'd rather have a far right activist than my current teacher... so far left its unreal!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.