Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by Mankytoes)
    That's it? She's just trying to clarify the situation so she doesn't lead you on, talk about a fuss about nothing. And why are you anon? Grow some balls.
    That's probably true, but why don't I feel the need to 'casually' mention my girlfriend in conversation with any girl that starts talking to me.

I'm anonymous because in a conversation about relationships I might make a comment that reveals personal details. Not because I'm afraid to express my opinion. I'm not sure why you care, to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superduper9)
    Its easy to get those 2 mixed up. :confused: Just be careful where you put your "gun"!
    Hah
    I really cannot read girls, though, or people in general.

ReputationRep:
    "Believe themselves to be more attractive than they actually are". This! holy **** this, it's ridiculous how deluded a lot of these girls are.

ReputationRep:
    this type of female scares me.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Floretta)
    Erm, maybe because if we're friendly and nice to guys in bars that we have no intention of "getting with" we're accused of leading them on? We seriously can't win, if we're friendly we're sluts that lead men on, and if we're not we're stuck up arrogant *****es.
    Nothing wrong with being friendly and nice. :/ men and women in general are unfortunately not interested in trying to understand one another and the way each gender responds to different messages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't mean necessarily wanting sex. I'm in a relationship, and sometimes and out talking to another girl at the bar. Many times I suddenly hear the 'my boyfriend likes that too...' line which is abrupt and, well, arrogant.
    That's what I meant. We are often told, by men mostly, that men go to the clubs to have sex and most of us have many experiences of men talking to us with the intention of getting us to have sex with them. Although not all men will want to have sex with the woman they're talking to, I think it is a fair assumption by women in clubs that he might want to have sex with her. By dropping in the boyfriend line, she is trying to get in that she doesn't want to have sex with the man and I actually think it's quite a nice way of doing it. A man has said to me before "I'm not hitting on you, I don't find you attractive." which was ruder than simply saying he had a girlfriend. As it happens I did find his bluntness funny and I don't expect every man to find me attractive so I wasn't insulted but the boyfriend line is definitely better than that.

(Original post by Zarek)
    What about guys who aren't prepared to put their name to generalised and opinionated views?
    Again; it's unlikely that many views on a relationship thread are likely to be completely objective. And I would express these views to my friends - it's just that in any relationship thread it's more likely that you sometimes write about personal details that you do not wish to put your name to. So I'm usually anonymous by default.

ReputationRep:
    That's probably true, but why don't I feel the need to 'casually' mention my girlfriend in conversation with any girl that starts talking to me.

I'm anonymous because in a conversation about relationships I might make a comment that reveals personal details. Not because I'm afraid to express my opinion. I'm not sure why you care, to be honest.
    Do you not think it's a good idea though? A couple of times I've ended up in awkward situations because I don't realise when girls like me, so I never say anything like that. Last time this happened I was pretty drunk, didn't know what to do, so I just left the club! You sound like you get very easily offended.

I thought you were talking about girls who say "uh, I've got a boyfriend" as soon as you say hello. That annoys me.

ReputationRep:
    Girls who complain that they're alone , when infact they have deluded themselves into surreal standards of what a man should be and overlook the guys they've freindzoned.

(Original post by Mankytoes)
    Do you not think it's a good idea though? A couple of times I've ended up in awkward situations because I don't realise when girls like me, so I never say anything like that. Last time this happened I was pretty drunk, didn't know what to do, so I just left the club! You sound like you get very easily offended.

I thought you were talking about girls who say "uh, I've got a boyfriend" as soon as you say hello. That annoys me.
    I must admit - I do get offended when people tell me to 'grow some balls' because I've chosen to use the anonymous feature on a website.

But yes, I am talking mainly about the girls whose response to 'hello' is a rude rejection.

ReputationRep:
    I must admit - I do get offended when people tell me to 'grow some balls' because I've chosen to use the anonymous feature on a website.

But yes, I am talking mainly about the girls whose response to 'hello' is a rude rejection.
    It just seems a bit cowardly when you're ****ging people off to hide behind being anon. I mean we're already using user names! You say personal details, what could you possibly give out that could cause you a problem?

Some guys rejection to hello is "what the **** are you looking at?". Some people are just dicks, I wouldn't let it upset you, or link it to one gender.

ReputationRep:
    Women like this?

http://www.keek.com/beautifullyrosa/keeks/9n5Abab

http://www.keek.com/beautifullyrosa/keeks/QZX4bab

ReputationRep:
    I have become defensive towards men in some situations because most times when men have sparked up conversations it does feel like they are hitting on me. And i while it can be flattering sometimes, it makes me uncomfortable at other times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    We are constantly told, on here and in real life, that as a woman we can walk into any bar and get sex if we want to. This is said by men who feel they have a hard deal in life because they have to 'work' to get sex. Now is it any surprise that women have a 'default defensive attitude' when we are told that we can basically have sex any time we want and if we don't show that attitude we'll be accused of leading him on?
    Once again we evidently cant win :rolleyes:

Also of course some of us have a defensive attitude when talking to guys, guys tell us (on here and outside) to be wary of strange men and then get pissed off when we actually do it?

What the hell is wrong with you? make your bloody minds up!

ReputationRep:

If you arent into her then why do you care if she mentions a bf at all?
    Also if shes anything like me, i love my boyfriend to bits and yes he probably comes up in convos quite a lot, regardless of the person im speaking to or what i perceive to be their intent.

ReputationRep:
    1 - When a stranger starts talking to a girl, it is usually with some motive, especially if it happens in a bar. If she sticks around to chat and isn't remotely interested in him, she risks being a 'tease'. Most guys will admit they chat up girls for a reason. Even guys giving women advice would say so: http://www.therulesrevisited.com/201...out-right.html

2 - Most women will bring their own cash for drinks. However buying a girl a drink is often a conversation starter and something guys are looking to do, so a lot of women won't be too quick getting one when they arrive. It is not a matter of finances. All the girls I know can afford their own drinks, and spend money on nightlife.

3 - I don't know what you mean by this.

4 - I think this is an assumption you make. All girls have insecurities, whether they are 9s or 5s. There is nothing attractive about displaying insecurities though, in fact women being insecure about their bodies is listed among men's turnoffs in bed. If someone think they are a higher league then they are, then they'll figure out soon enough, whether it's a guy or a girl. If someone thinks they are too good for you, and you think they aren't, it really doesn't matter because you're not going to change their mind.

5 - This is really general. Some people are negative and some are positive. That goes for men and women. I'm guessing you're just referring to a woman who didn't want to be with you anymore.

6 - That one I hear and it's annoying. There are however a lot of men unfit for relationships, just like there are a lot of women unfit for relationships. Dating is harder after feminism, which has ****ed up people's ideas of dating and how men should be feminine and women should be masculine.

Totally disagree about America. Feminism is strong there, and you'll find more bitter and cynical women than anywhere else. Divorce rates are high, promiscuity is high and a lot of women are extremely entitled.

(Original post by Millie228)
    1 - When a stranger starts talking to a girl, it is usually with some motive, especially if it happens in a bar. If she sticks around to chat and isn't remotely interested in him, she risks being a 'tease'. Most guys will admit they chat up girls for a reason. Even guys giving women advice would say so: http://www.therulesrevisited.com/201...out-right.html

2 - Most women will bring their own cash for drinks. However buying a girl a drink is often a conversation starter and something guys are looking to do, so a lot of women won't be too quick getting one when they arrive. It is not a matter of finances. All the girls I know can afford their own drinks, and spend money on nightlife.

3 - I don't know what you mean by this.

4 - I think this is an assumption you make. All girls have insecurities, whether they are 9s or 5s. There is nothing attractive about displaying insecurities though, in fact women being insecure about their bodies is listed among men's turnoffs in bed. If someone think they are a higher league then they are, then they'll figure out soon enough, whether it's a guy or a girl. If someone thinks they are too good for you, and you think they aren't, it really doesn't matter because you're not going to change their mind.

5 - This is really general. Some people are negative and some are positive. That goes for men and women. I'm guessing you're just referring to a woman who didn't want to be with you anymore.

6 - That one I hear and it's annoying. There are however a lot of men unfit for relationships, just like there are a lot of women unfit for relationships. Dating is harder after feminism, which has ****ed up people's ideas of dating and how men should be feminine and women should be masculine.

Totally disagree about America. Feminism is strong there, and you'll find more bitter and cynical women than anywhere else. Divorce rates are high, promiscuity is high and a lot of women are extremely entitled.
    I like your answer to point 5. I guess I was.

Girls are unpredictable the next minute everything is okay then hell breaks loose

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kunoichi)
    Once again we evidently cant win :rolleyes:

Also of course some of us have a defensive attitude when talking to guys, guys tell us (on here and outside) to be wary of strange men and then get pissed off when we actually do it?

What the hell is wrong with you? make your bloody minds up!
    Not sure why people would go to a nightclub to talk to someone (I thought the music there is really loud). Surely it is more appropriate to go to a bar/public house/dhaba/restaurant/cafe if you want to talk?

Maybe one system is to give people stickers - red to signify 'unavailable/attached/uninterested' and green to signifiy 'available/unattached' etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by effofex)
    Not sure why people would go to a nightclub to talk to someone (I thought the music there is really loud). Surely it is more appropriate to go to a bar/public house/dhaba/restaurant/cafe if you want to talk?

Maybe one system is to give people stickers - red to signify 'unavailable/attached/uninterested' and green to signifiy 'available/unattached' etc.
    Yeah they have traffic light parties where you do similar, wear red if taken etc, green if not. i think its a good idea

I dont talk to people in nightclubs so i dont understand this, but i dont go to meet people so anyone who comes my way is given a (hopefully!) polite headshake so they know i dont want to talk to them.

But i was talking about in general as well as in nightclubs.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.