Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ahh right, wow, only three places? thats tough man! yeahh i went to an interview day in london with loads of other applicants. they set me up with 5 companies so i had an interview with each aswell as with the ICE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom123456)
    ahh right, wow, only three places? thats tough man! yeahh i went to an interview day in london with loads of other applicants. they set me up with 5 companies so i had an interview with each aswell as with the ICE.
    im not going to get it. IMechE are so unfair hahaha i wish many companies offered one like this ICE one. Where the interviews scary? Im guessing in the application they were also some big questions you had to answer about an engineering topic?

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my 3rd year of civil eng. and this is what you should expect to learn from such a degree.. mechanics, loads of mechanics. Fluid Mechanics, Soil Mechanics, Structural Mechanics.. all kinds of mechanics, we're interested in the forces/displacements. Civil might sound like the perfect engineering discipline for you out of the other ones since you enjoy reading geography, if you do then you will probably enjoy geotechnical engineering which is the sub-domain of civil engineering. The sub-disciplines that make most money in civil engineering are: management engineering, environmental & dam engineering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    im not going to get it. IMechE are so unfair hahaha i wish many companies offered one like this ICE one. Where the interviews scary? Im guessing in the application they were also some big questions you had to answer about an engineering topic?
    aha theres always hope! three scholarships does seem a bit unfair though, i think the ICE setup is quite good.

to be honest alot of the companies asked the same type of questions so after the first one or two it wasnt so bad. i did have a company in mind who i particularly wanted to work for though so that one was pretty scary. i cant really remember the application now if im honest. think i vaguely remember having to blag about some engineering that i really admired

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom123456)
    aha theres always hope! three scholarships does seem a bit unfair though, i think the ICE setup is quite good.

to be honest alot of the companies asked the same type of questions so after the first one or two it wasnt so bad. i did have a company in mind who i particularly wanted to work for though so that one was pretty scary. i cant really remember the application now if im honest. think i vaguely remember having to blag about some engineering that i really admired
    hahaha tbh thats what i did said a load of engineering crap some n some of it was just made up just to make it sound good :lol:

im sure most people do the same you cant like every single thing about engineering they will be parts you dont like and parts you dont give a **** about.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I've got a better idea about what things to expect. I'll delve into individual Uni courses a little bit more, visit some open days and get some work experience done. Thanks to everyone who's given advice, it's honestly been really helpful

ReputationRep:
    Im a first year civil engineering student at Birmingham uni, i too wanted to do civil engineering for the same reasons (combining geography maths and physics) The modules that we have done this year when we are in our own degree group are mechanics and professional skills (covers design projects, technical drawing and surveying). The other modules that we do all other engineering disciplines are mixed together, the modules are fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, heat transfer, properties of materials, electronics and modelling (maths and matlab). We are also able to have free choice for another module which can be from any other subject area, i have one german this year, but there are choices from maths, physics, geography, languages and even a medical module. I think i would advise you to look carefully into the modules on offer as they vary between universitys and also the assessment methods, this year i have only done two individual pieces of work and four pieces of group work, everything else is assessed through exams.

ReputationRep:
    Go for civil engineering only if you have the passion for it. It’s a good course and the career opportunities are excellent! A little hard work and hard earned experience and you’ll be successful for sure (the pay’s not bad either!)
    Study-wise, you’re in for a lot of math and problems but you should be able to handle that.
    What’s great about civil engineering is that you’re not limited to that. For example, you can become a geotechnical engineer from what you learn from a civil engineering course.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.