Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Where to hear/find out about music? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    And get pop/chart trash.
    Nah, most my mates are in to fairly alternative music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Nah, most my mates are in to fairly alternative music.
    Fair enough.

I'd rather do the work myself. Plus, Facebook statuses are mostly poor. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat'.

Twitter is better.

I'm listening to this atm

ReputationRep:
    Spotify helps, too. They usually have a lot of related artists.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.

I'd rather do the work myself. Plus, Facebook statuses are mostly poor. Ain't nobody got time fo' dat'.

Twitter is better.
    Only when you have more than...oooh... 18 followers! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mikeyd85)
    Only when you have more than...oooh... 18 followers! :lol:
    Paha, I guess it works for you then.

See above edit for the type of music I like.

ReputationRep:
    Paha, I guess it works for you then.

See above edit for the type of music I like.
    Indeed!

Not a big fan of The XX. Not my kind of thing.

I'm currently listening to The Algorithm, early Infected Mushroom and Mariachi El Bronx

ReputationRep:
    Googling and just general research. Then when you find some artists. Serch around for their best songs. Plus I know people who have a similar taste to me so we chat about it, I recommend artists, he recommends artists, we both get to find new music

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arina162)
    Spotify helps, too. They usually have a lot of related artists.
    They what?

Itunes Outweighs spotify.

This was posted from my iphone 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesNeedHelp2)
    They what?

Itunes Outweighs spotify.

This was posted from my iphone 5.
    Yeah, but Apple sucks Just joking. It's a point of personal preference, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arina162)
    Yeah, but Apple sucks Just joking. It's a point of personal preference, I guess.
    That is a fair comment. Jamesneedhelp2 will leave it at that.

ReputationRep:
    Half of mine seem to come from adverts on TV. The advert last year for the 4th series of Being Human sent me searching for the song in the advert and now that artist is probably one of my favourites ever. A lot of my music tastes come from my parents, my mum played a lot of Sam Cooke and 50's/60's stuff around the house when I was younger so I've sort of inherited that, and then my dad's love of Gene and the Smiths as well. And the rest are usually the radio/TV, following a trail of links on youtube. But yeah, a lot of mine come from seeing adverts and going "Ooooh, what's that song?" Although half of my iPod is film/TV/musical soundtracks, and then a song on that might lead me to other songs by that artist. Basically following trails. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    Half of mine seem to come from adverts on TV. The advert last year for the 4th series of Being Human sent me searching for the song in the advert and now that artist is probably one of my favourites ever. A lot of my music tastes come from my parents, my mum played a lot of Sam Cooke and 50's/60's stuff around the house when I was younger so I've sort of inherited that, and then my dad's love of Gene and the Smiths as well. And the rest are usually the radio/TV, following a trail of links on youtube. But yeah, a lot of mine come from seeing adverts and going "Ooooh, what's that song?" Although half of my iPod is film/TV/musical soundtracks, and then a song on that might lead me to other songs by that artist. Basically following trails. :lol:
    Yes- adverts are really useful: it is how I found Bastille * I adore their music *

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesNeedHelp2)
    Yes- adverts are really useful: it is how I found Bastille * I adore their music *
    Google Chrome always has really catchy advert music. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Family and friends are a good way to hear about new music.

Also if you have a particular artist that you like, listen to them and maybe join a fan forum. Chances are that the community there will have other music suggestions that you'd probably like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aspirinpharmacist)
    Google Chrome always has really catchy advert music. :lol:
    Not sure about Google Chrome :/ * takes note *

So what type of music do you listen to?- if you dont mind me asking.

ReputationRep:
    Loads of ways! My favorite ways are:
    www.lastfm.com -> download the scrobbler and it updates recommendations based on what you've been listening to, and updates whenever you listen to new music.
    www.sputnikmusic.com -> My personal favorite music site, more objective than pitchfork and less pretentious twaddle. Great for metal, rock and hip-hop and some electronic.
    www.pitchfork.com -> more artsy music, great for a variety of different genres.
    www.4chan.org/mu -> stay away from the other areas of this site, a lot of weird stuff you probably don't want to see, but the people at /mu/ really know their stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creeping Cucumber)
    Loads of ways! My favorite ways are:
    www.lastfm.com -> download the scrobbler and it updates recommendations based on what you've been listening to, and updates whenever you listen to new music.
    www.sputnikmusic.com -> My personal favorite music site, more objective than pitchfork and less pretentious twaddle. Great for metal, rock and hip-hop and some electronic.
    www.pitchfork.com -> more artsy music, great for a variety of different genres.
    www.4chan.org/mu -> stay away from the other areas of this site, a lot of weird stuff you probably don't want to see, but the people at /mu/ really know their stuff.
    Mainly this, however I'd like to add a couple:
    -Rate Your Music - More or less a music rating database. Quite useful for finding "classics" and important works in specific genres
    -AllMusic - Obvious, but they cover and review a LOT of music. I think they're the biggest music reviewing site in terms of content. Try not to take their rating system too seriously as it tends to contradict their scores in some cases, but either way they're a useful way to find music too.
    -Even just typing stuff into YouTube/Wikipedia is a good way to get started, and while you might find you go through a lot of 'bad' stuff, some real gems can be found if you're patient and persistent enough.

Also, I'm not personally a big fan of P4K (Pitchfork). Their reviewers are really pretentious, and they delete their reviews and even sometimes replace them just to fit a trend (possibly?).
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I find music by the following:

1). Pick out a song I like on Youtube and look at related music.
    2). Discogs.com (more suited towards club music) - you can search your favourite songs and even find the guys who had a hand in making it. A lot of the time, they have their own songs as well.
    3). Search out the compilations which your favourite song is on - and look at the other artists' songs. They will be in the same genre and will introduce you to some new artists as well.

It all started when I discovered an old club music CD. I started discovering new music in all genres, left right and centre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SecretDuck)
    2). Discogs.com (more suited towards club music) - you can search your favourite songs and even find the guys who had a hand in making it. A lot of the time, they have their own songs as well.
    Discogs isn't more suited toward club music at all. What makes you think that?

ReputationRep:
    Subscribe to record labels on Youtube.
    Last.Fm
    Radio
    Related Songs
    Twitter, following bands which you listen to/people who tweet about music
    Edit: Festivals are quite good for finding new bands, too.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.