Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do People Have a Problem with Gay People? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HenryD)
    She says as she posts on the internet, using a computer, whilst sat in a house, with heating... All natural right there.
    Technically she has got a point, primitively speaking the whole point of intercourse is to have kids. Therefore in a sense its not natural.

TBH though as long as am not being force to take part in or watch the acts i don't care much about what anyone else chooses to do in their spare time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tr12)
    Modern day society is trying to force everyone to automatically accept homosexuals and if they don't it questions those peoples morals, calling them homophobic etc. I think when this comes into play that's when people start feeling more strong feelings against homosexuality.
    This sounds pretty accurate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fuze-mo25)
    Technically she has got a point, primitively speaking the whole point of intercourse is to have kids.
    His point was that she does lots of things that are not 'natural' without batting an eyelid, yet seems to care when it is something she already dislikes for other reasons i.e. homosexuality.

A huge range of species exhibit homosexual behaviour, and some use sex as a form of social bonding. Having kids is just one adaptive function of sex (though the insistence that sex must produce babies always makes me wonder what anti-gay people think should be done with infertile couples).

Although if you want to organise society's sexual mores around what's "natural" I'd suggest you look up how ducks reproduce, or maybe how common polyandry is in pretty much every type of animal. I have a feeling most religious opponents of homosexuality would stop insisting that sexual morality should conform to nature if they really understood how freaky animals can get.

ReputationRep:
    Just my opinion:
    In the UK at least, the nation as we know it is founded on Christian teachings and values. This includes the belief that many things are sinful, including homosexuality. Although we're now more secular, I think religion in it's essence still has a grasp on a lot of people's opinion. Add to this that decriminalization of homosexuality is relatively recent, and it's actually quite a new topic; for many people born before the legislation, and their children, it can be a challenging topic.

I think in the next generation or 2, people will be a lot more tolerant, especially with the progress that British society is making towards political correctness.

ReputationRep:
    Fear of the unknown, also they don't want to get asked a gay question and then seem uncool when they don't know the answer and the whole gay community hates them, so they just pretend not to like it.

On a serious note, they are jerks, the only people doing any damage to society is the people causing there to be discrimination and segregation, if everyone just got on the world would be a beautiful place. And, it's not like they're doing anything wrong, homosexuals aren't hurting anyone, and I'd honestly feel safer leaving my little brother with my gay best friend than a Roman Catholic priest, if people want to preach about stereotypes maybe they should look at the statistics.

ReputationRep:
    Don't have a problem with gays, I have a problem with stuff like gay couples adopting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gray Wolf)
    Don't have a problem with gays, I have a problem with stuff like gay couples adopting.
    That's very sad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1on4)
    That's very sad.
    No, what is sad is removing children from their evolutionary developed surroundings. A male father and a female mother. We are shaped by our parents and having two parents of the same sex is not natural. And don't say it is because it isn't because a man can't have a child simple as that. They can do all they want on their own, but when you mix a child in to it it is a whole different ball game.

ReputationRep:
    No, what is sad is removing children from their evolutionary developed surroundings. A male father and a female mother. We are shaped by our parents and having two parents of the same sex is not natural. And don't say it is because it isn't because a man can't have a child simple as that. They can do all they want on their own, but when you mix a child in to it it is a whole different ball game.
    I agree with you 100% on this.

The kid would just be the subject of bullying if their peers found out the kids parents were of the same sex. It's just cruel.

EDIT: Negged for having a legitimate opinion? Typical of TSR :gigg:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by British-Student)
    Just my opinion:
    In the UK at least, the nation as we know it is founded on Christian teachings and values. This includes the belief that many things are sinful, including homosexuality. Although we're now more secular, I think religion in it's essence still has a grasp on a lot of people's opinion. Add to this that decriminalization of homosexuality is relatively recent, and it's actually quite a new topic; for many people born before the legislation, and their children, it can be a challenging topic.
    This is why I think religion has absolutely no place to talk about morality.

Why is homosexuality immoral?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no research that would suggest two same-sex parents would be detrimental to the child's development. Both of the parents being the same sex is irrelevant, it's a wild card out of many other wild cards that can occur during the adoption of a child. And based on the success of single parent upbringings, the logical assumption would be to treat the adoption the same. If it were to be shown that homosexual parents had serious repercussions for the child's development, I would reconsider however.

ReputationRep:
    Because I don't have a habit of promoting or making seem the norm a gross genetic abnormality.
    By all means tolerate them to a certain extent, but I see no reason to let them marry, and certainly not involve themselves in the raising of children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    This is why I think religion has absolutely no place to talk about morality.

Why is homosexuality immoral?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no research that would suggest two same-sex parents would be detrimental to the child's development. Both of the parents being the same sex is irrelevant, it's a wild card out of many other wild cards that can occur during the adoption of a child. And based on the success of single parent upbringings, the logical assumption would be to treat the adoption the same. If it were to be shown that homosexual parents had serious repercussions for the child's development, I would reconsider however.
    I mean gay couples raising children have been a common occurrence for a very long time so I am surprised there has not been any research on it (sarcasm). But seriously, we say nurture or nature, well its both. In this case you are tempering seriously with nurture and defying nature also. To see this you only require common sense.

ReputationRep:
    I'm gay and "out" and just get on with my life. As much as I can tell, people don't have a problem with gay people. As far as I can tell that's the prevailing consensus in the UK right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syrokal)
    Because I don't have a habit of promoting or making seem the norm a gross genetic abnormality.
    By all means tolerate them to a certain extent, but I see no reason to let them marry, and certainly not involve themselves in the raising of children.
    I agree, I mean some of this stuff is laughable at best. They are trying to integrate themselves in to society which is fair enough you know, you don't chose your sexual orientation. However, they are too in your face about their homosexuality. For examples gay pride parades and the LGBT discussion topic on many forums out there. I mean, is there a "heterosexual" parade or a heterosexual discussion thread (which if there is these people need some physiatric help)? There is also the whole marriage thing, they already have civil partnerships which provide the same legal status as marriage does so why change the name for the sake of it? Marriage is between man and woman that was how it was and how it should be.

ReputationRep:
    I only dislike the really feminine ones. Why does being gay have to have such a big impact on personality?

I hate the fact there is such a large marketing campaign to FORCE people into accepting homosexuals. Last time I checked we had free speech.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What gays do in their home is not my business. But clearly they want it to be my business, they want me to know what goes on and they want me to condone it. And if I don't condone it, then I'm the worst, most horrible person in the world. That's why I have a problem with homosexuality. Instead of being discreet and doing what you want in your own home, why is it that it has to be shoved into my face?

I don't have to like it and I don't have to condone it. I have a right to my opinion. Sadly, for gay-advocates, any sort of dissent is fundamentally unacceptable and I would be labelled as a homophobe, intolerant and other nasty slogans and most likely efforts would be taken to completely silence me. This is a british forum, isn't it? People are getting fired and silenced left and right for not supporing gay marriage. Just recently there was an article where teacher who do not support gay marriage - that they are just blatantly fired.. merely for having conservative beliefs and that the government is powerless to stop it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...-marriage.html

Here's a cop that was dismissed for criticizing gay marriage - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/reli...-marriage.html

So yeah, don't expect any sympathy from me. If they expect me to unconditionally and obediently condone their deviance - they can forget about it.

I just don't see why society should pander to a single sexual minority. It is commendable in the sense that homosexuals have convinced us that out of all the sexual deviants that exist in the world - that they are somehow more valuable and more entitled to special rights and privilege than any other sexual minority, that societal norms need to be changed to facilitate their desires, needs and tastes.

I actually have a guy in my course who is a gay rights activist and during our ethics course he condemned sexual deviants such as necrophiles and incestuous couplings, which I found to be hilarious and hypocritical. He did it right after defending homosexuality to be harmless, that it harms no other parties, is a private affair etc etc.

He, like most gay-advocates, cannot see outside their own bubble and cannot see that these arguments can be used to defend incest, necrophilia and everything alike. After all, why shouldn't I be able to sign a civil contract which states that after I die, person X gains full ownership over my body and X can use my body for whatever purpose he sees fit, sexual or otherwise. How does it harm anyone if some guy has sex with a corpse privately in his home. Sure, you may take offense and find such an idea disturbing and disgusting - but so what? That's your problem not his.

Hell, even the granddaddy of gay marriage himself says that polygamy is next on the list of ''great equality'' - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xxz...s#.UWAQ_JMvX55

What a wonderful age of relativism we live in.

ReputationRep:
    I don't agree with gay marriage for religious reasons, but I don't actually have anything against gay people. My motto is "live and let live", if two (or indeed more) consenting adults want to get up to stuff in private or hold hands in public or something then that's up to them.

ReputationRep:
    I mean gay couples raising children have been a common occurrence for a very long time so I am surprised there has not been any research on it (sarcasm). But seriously, we say nurture or nature, well its both. In this case you are tempering seriously with nurture and defying nature also. To see this you only require common sense.
    Your viewing nature and nurture as an idealized 'right path'. There are many things which effect how we develop, our parents is just one of them, and gender roles is a subset of that. And defying nature means nothing.

ReputationRep:
    Because they're ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    No, the family unit is a society developed structure. This is shown by the variety of different family structures displayed throughout different cultures and different time periods.

Having two biological parents is natural I agree. To say it is natural for them to be raised by one man and one woman is natural is wrong.

Also, you disagree with homosexuals raising children as it is unnatural. Yet you indulge in other activities, such as discussions on the internet, which are not natural.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.