Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should each continent have a capital country? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    The EU is not a country though and is somewhat different...
    Since you don't like Brussels or the EU.

Can we just settle for Strasbourg where the European Court of Human Rights resides and they have juridiction all over Europe?

ReputationRep:
    Leaving aside the fact that Brussells isnt actually the capital of the EU the point youre making is somewhat flawed in that aside from the fact Brussells is a tiny little place with little to no clout on the world stage it would once again surely make more sense to locate said capital in a city which a] is more representitive of all the nations and b] is actually a power house i.e. london, berlin or paris... although since a large slab of russia is in europe i feel theyd object either way...
    The capital of a country doesn't have to be powerful and have clout. Canberra doesn't. There are far more powerful cities in the States than Washington D.C.

Brussels is the de facto capital hence it would make a reasonable continental capital. It's fairly neutral and central too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bkeevin)

Can we just settle for Strasbourg where the European Court of Human Rights resides and they have juridiction all over Europe?
    Who said i dont like either ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    The capital of a country doesn't have to be powerful and have clout. Canberra doesn't. There are far more powerful cities in the States than Washington D.C.

Brussels is the de facto capital hence it would make a reasonable continental capital. It's fairly neutral and central too.
    Canberra is only the capital due to friction between Sydney and Melbourne over whom should assume capital status, stupid move i say Canberra is a thoroughly boring and unappealing city.
    with regards to washington - Article One of the United States Constitution provides for a federal district, distinct from the states, to serve as the permanent national capital. The City of Washington was originally a separate municipality within the federal territory until an act of Congress in 1871 established a single, unified municipal government for the whole District. It is for this reason that the city, while legally named the District of Columbia, is known as Washington, D.C.

Hence why brussells is aswell simply because of its proximity to both germany and france and its original founding. but once again in your OP you said europe not the EU and lets be fair brussells is about as far away as you can get from most of europe without leaving the continent...

ReputationRep:
    Canberra is only the capital due to friction between Sydney and Melbourne over whom should assume capital status, stupid move i say Canberra is a thoroughly boring and unappealing city.
    with regards to washington - Article One of the United States Constitution provides for a federal district, distinct from the states, to serve as the permanent national capital. The City of Washington was originally a separate municipality within the federal territory until an act of Congress in 1871 established a single, unified municipal government for the whole District. It is for this reason that the city, while legally named the District of Columbia, is known as Washington, D.C.

Hence why brussells is aswell simply because of its proximity to both germany and france and its original founding. but once again in your OP you said europe not the EU and lets be fair brussells is about as far away as you can get from most of europe without leaving the continent...
    But weren't you arguing that the capital should be where the power & clout is? The point of Brussels is that it's not in a particularly powerful nation but all the major powers of Western Europe are on its doorstep. The thread is just a bit of fun remember.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bkeevin)

As if we're letting the French get the capital of Europe. Luxembourg?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St. Brynjar)
    As if we're letting the French get the capital of Europe. Luxembourg?
    I hear Monte Carlo in Monaco is a very popular place as well?

But the celebrities will prefer Cannes!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piya21)
    But....why?
    For the yolo bantz, eh?

ReputationRep:
    For Europe , German or Belgium ??? Whaaat? Belgium that's just ridiculous , that hamlet of a country with no backbone , just a middle no mans land European union jet setter. German however has too much backbone , come on people .... Really ... The Germans after fighting off their obsession with ruling Europe in 2 world wars , we'd just be happy to let them at it . No way I don't trust the hun .

It can only be the UK or Sweden. France is 3rd closest but , it's just a little too revolutionised and 'I surrender ' again not enough continuity . But seeing as London is the definite capital of Europe anyway , then I see no completion with the UK being the No1 country . (along with it being like a 51st state)

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.