ReputationRep:
    20- ford focus 1.4

getting a peugeot 306 rallye tuesday though

ReputationRep:

52 plate petrol 1.1 Peugeot 106

ReputationRep:
    Toyota Auris 1.6

ReputationRep:
    Car: Nissan Note 1.4 (It's my mums - it's pointless for me to get a car since I'm off to uni in September anyway :/ )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liammm)
    Car: Nissan Note 1.4 (It's my mums - it's pointless for me to get a car since I'm off to uni in September anyway :/ )
    Whats your insurance like on a 1.4? Its mad even with my 1.2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aay)
    Whats your insurance like on a 1.4? Its mad even with my 1.2

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I got insured under my mum's name a few weeks after I passed my test and it was £1200ish I think.

ReputationRep:
    I got insured under my mum's name a few weeks after I passed my test and it was £1200ish I think.
    Wow really?? What company if you dont mind me asking ? I cant find cheaper than £2400?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Im still on my prov, so looking for when i pass.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    £2400? Man that sucks :/ I think it's probably cheaper for me since I'm insured under my mum and the car I drive (Nissan Note) isn't exactly the type of car someone my age would drive

I think it's Direct Line we're insured under but I'm not entirely sure. Have you tried looking into the Co-op young drivers insurance? I know of someone who was insured under them and it worked out to be significantly cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    £2400? Man that sucks :/ I think it's probably cheaper for me since I'm insured under my mum and the car I drive (Nissan Note) isn't exactly the type of car someone my age would drive

I think it's Direct Line we're insured under but I'm not entirely sure. Have you tried looking into the Co-op young drivers insurance? I know of someone who was insured under them and it worked out to be significantly cheaper.
    Yeah.

Im not dealing with it until after my exams, ill take a look. Cooperative fit the box i think, not a good idea for me, ill admit im not the safest/slowest of drivers even on a prov. And yeah i suppose the car has something to do with it, mines is the vw polo, think it may be higher because parts for volkswagens are expensive- I heard they take that into account aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aay)
    Yeah.

Im not dealing with it until after my exams, ill take a look. Cooperative fit the box i think, not a good idea for me, ill admit im not the safest/slowest of drivers even on a prov. And yeah i suppose the car has something to do with it, mines is the vw polo, think it may be higher because parts for volkswagens are expensive- I heard they take that into account aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah they fit the tracking box - I don't know if I would like to fit one too, but from what I've heard it can lower your costs a lot so it's always an option if you're desperate. And yeah, because VW is a more premium brand than Nissan, it will probably end up costing more.

But hey, if you spend enough time looking around, you'll get a good deal. If you haven't yet checked this out, that may help a bit.

One more thing, when I was playing around before I got insurance, it was lower when I added more family members, so you could also do that too!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they fit the tracking box - I don't know if I would like to fit one too, but from what I've heard it can lower your costs a lot so it's always an option if you're desperate. And yeah, because VW is a more premium brand than Nissan, it will probably end up costing more.

But hey, if you spend enough time looking around, you'll get a good deal. If you haven't yet checked this out, that may help a bit.

One more thing, when I was playing around before I got insurance, it was lower when I added more family members, so you could also do that too!

I think it will initially be really cheap but every crap move you make, every time you take a hard corner and that- they'll bump up your premium so it could potentially eventually reach the same amount.

Yeah thanks, I'll take a look at the link aswell. And I'm aiming to add my mum+dad on it aswell, car's registered under my mum so will make her the main driver.

Tbh there are ways around it all,

when the time comes I'll put it all into action

ReputationRep:
    Some black boxes aren't too bad. Mine only measures 3 things, Speed, Smoothness and Usage. Can almost guarantee full scores on usage and speed, so smoothness is the only one i need to worry about. If you don't do lots of harsh accelerating then your fine (although i tend to -.- haha) Plus on mine, your insurance doesn't go up, you pay a price then get money back every 3 months depending on your score. You can check online how much your on course for so it's pretty decent, considering i didn't have a choice, without a box the cheapest i could find was £8000 and i tried everywhere! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aay)
    I think it will initially be really cheap but every crap move you make, every time you take a hard corner and that- they'll bump up your premium so it could potentially eventually reach the same amount.

Yeah thanks, I'll take a look at the link aswell. And I'm aiming to add my mum+dad on it aswell, car's registered under my mum so will make her the main driver.

Tbh there are ways around it all,

when the time comes I'll put it all into action
    I'm sure they let you off if you do something like cornering hard once or twice, but it'll probably increase if you do it frequently I know they also charge more if you travel in odd hours (11pm-6am I think)

Anyway, good luck when it comes and hopefully you'll find a much cheaper quote!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 6, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.