Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

(Original post by sabian92)
    If a salesman is that proud he won't budge on a 25k car then it's his own fault if he loses a sale. I'd rather lose 1-1.5k than lose 25k on a sale. Who's the mug then?
    That £1500 is probably the profit he stands to make on the car. When you factor in buying it/taking it in part exchange, fixing up any problems to make it legal to sell, and all the overheads involved - employees, premises, tax etc - if there is no other way to recoup the money from a part exchange, finance deal, GAP insurance, etc, then the dealer has no option than to tell you to bugger off. They have to make money, it's how business works.

All salesmen have heard the "I've seen a cheaper one elsewhere" line and know it is bull****. If there really was one cheaper, you would have bought it already.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much everyone for your responses.

Here is the link to the car: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JO53PHS)
    If I were the dealer and you came to me doing all this, I wouldn't want to sell you the car anyway. If the car is priced to sell, just don't even bother making silly offers - no dealer is that desperate to make a sale. Wasting peoples' time doesn't do you ANY favours AT ALL in getting a good deal.

If you'd give us the link to the advert we could maybe advise you on the pricing of the vehicle rather than comparing it against an approximate valuation.
    http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p

ReputationRep:
    If a salesman is that proud he won't budge on a 25k car then it's his own fault if he loses a sale. I'd rather lose 1-1.5k than lose 25k on a sale. Who's the mug then?
    You if you sell it 4 days later for £25k or £24,750.

By your logic you're better off selling it for £8k than not selling it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7589200)

Here is the link to the car: http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...1500?logcode=p
    The car is pretty well on the money in terms of price - make him a reasonable offer if you want, but you certainly won't be getting it for £23k.

£23k gets you an OLD SHAPE car that's a year older and has done more miles - this car is clearly worth more than £23,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7589200)

You got so much choice on autotrader which are less then £23k

ReputationRep:
    It is only a 2.0 TDI in a fairly basic spec - loom elsewhere. Great cars, but not rare. Don't pay more than you have to!

My advice? Save a lot of money and get the older shape with the 3.0 TDI engine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You if you sell it 4 days later for £25k or £24,750.

By your logic you're better off selling it for £8k than not selling it.
    Well yeah, no **** sherlock.

It's sort of implied you don't be a moron about it - selling a 25k car for 8k is just ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    That car seems to have pretty good specs - given the leather upholstery (yes that's an optional on the A6, for the SE trim), paddle shifts, music interface (I suppose most Audi's have this by now), I'd be happy to pay just under the asking price and to the poster who suggested buying a 3.0 TDI - I see no point unless the OP plans on towing trailers or wants the extra "oomph", today's 2.0 TDI engines are pretty damn competent if you ask me

I suppose I'm being hypocritical as my dad's after a 3.0 TDI of the same car (or a Q7/X5) but he's never known for safe, defensive driving...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's a 177 which is the best 2.0. More than enough oomph
    If you don't mind me asking, why do you need an A6 Avant?

Posted from TSR iPad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss_s95)
    That car seems to have pretty good specs - given the leather upholstery (yes that's an optional on the A6, for the SE trim), paddle shifts, music interface (I suppose most Audi's have this by now), I'd be happy to pay the just under the asking price and to the poster who suggested buying a 3.0 TDI - I see no point unless the OP plans on towing trailers or needs the extra "oomph", today's 2.0 TDI engines are pretty damn competent if you ask me

I suppose I'm being hypocritical as my dad's after a 3.0 TDI of the same car (or a Q7/X5) but he's never known for safe, defensive driving...
    The 2.0 TDI engine had had its fair share of issues - oil pump being the main one, but they are known for problems with turbos and injectors.

My Dad hasa 3.0 TDI A4 and it is brilliant - had it since brand new (old shape, 2008) and it is now on 70k and hasn't given any problems at all. Consistently returns well over 45 mpg if driving sensibly, and more importantly it is much smoother than the 2.0.

The 2.0 does struggle a bit in the A6 as well, especially if fully loaded.

You need the big V6

ReputationRep:
    If I were the dealer and you came to me doing all this, I wouldn't want to sell you the car anyway. If the car is priced to sell, just don't even bother making silly offers - no dealer is that desperate to make a sale. Wasting peoples' time doesn't do you ANY favours AT ALL in getting a good deal.

If you'd give us the link to the advert we could maybe advise you on the pricing of the vehicle rather than comparing it against an approximate valuation.
    A TV program came on recently and advised customers to negotiate as much as possible even though the price is clearly stated. What's wrong with bargaining? And they showed us how to bargain through undercover filming in a Panasonic store where they achieved a better deal for a TV set. Wasting peoples time does do the customer favors, if I was the dealer and I think the customer is wasting my time, I'd give him a good deal if I think that would help. Customer service is one of the main priorities of a business, for every good impression that a business makes an average person would tell 3 or 4 people about it and for every bad impression a business makes and average person would tell 13 people about it.

ReputationRep:
    By all means make a ridiculous offer, but in this particular example it's highly unlikely that the dealer will accept a figure near the £23k mark. I don't know anything about selling consumer electronics, and maybe I'm wrong, but I'd guess that the profit margin on such goods is considerably larger than on used cars, so there is more room for discounting.

(Original post by SFeet)
    if I was the dealer and I think the customer is wasting my time, I'd give him a good deal if I think that would help.
    This is not how a car dealer thinks.

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah, no **** sherlock.

It's sort of implied you don't be a moron about it - selling a 25k car for 8k is just ridiculous.
    So whats your tipping point?

The salesman clearly thinks they can get a better offer quickly.

The fact the OP is still interested shows thats probably the case.

ReputationRep:
    Probably worth looking somewhere else now. You'll normally find that if you turn up on unannounced and say in a friendly tone, I've only got this much but if you dropped the price to my budget, take it or leave it... they'll normally take it.

ReputationRep:
    I recently bought a Focus and used the Parkers price as a tool to barter. The guide price was quite a bit cheaper, ridiculously so to be honest when looking at autotrader and seeing what similar cars were actually going for but it still allowed me to get the dealer to bring the price down. Negotiation is always possible. My dealer had started by telling me "we dont negotiate on price' ... well ultimately he did. Their job is to get you to part with as much cash as possible and they will not budge on price if they see they dont have to I.e. you're super keen and will purchase at the advertised price. You have to make them think you want the car (not time wasting) but you will walk away if the price isnt right. I had to bluff to get a lower price agreed. I wanted the car and actually the advertised price was more than reasonable and I would have taken it at that price lol ... I just didnt let the dealer know that ... we negotiated for over half an hour

ReputationRep:
    By all means make a ridiculous offer, but in this particular example it's highly unlikely that the dealer will accept a figure near the £23k mark. I don't know anything about selling consumer electronics, and maybe I'm wrong, but I'd guess that the profit margin on such goods is considerably larger than on used cars, so there is more room for discounting.

This is not how a car dealer thinks.
    Well no harm in trying, is there?

ReputationRep:
    I actually thought its on at a pretty reasonable price.

Also worth keeping in mind that it's hard for a dealer to consider if your a worthwhile customer and not just another time-waster. If you want to negotiate in price view the car and do it in person.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much for the comments.

I think its fair to say that the car is reasonably priced for what it is.

The main caveat is that it has done more than 10,000 miles so it falls off the search results for most of the people searching for a 'nearly new' car as this usually involves cars with less than 10,000 miles. It is also important to note that there's over 200 used Audi A6 Avants up for sale in the country at the moment.

Secondly, the price is reasonable compared to other car prices but we have to take into account that the other dealers may have negotiated down and that would make this car's price look a little less reasonable.

Thirdly, the car has been there for two weeks now; probably building up age and miles as an Audi employee drives it around.

So all things considered I think an offer of £23,250 is very fair. We will make that offer today and see what happens. I don't think we should have pay more than that for the car given all that ive said above and given what most people here seem to say ie. the dealer will do anything to try and get as much money from you as possible.

I think given the fact that his car is sitting around depreciating, the offer we're making is very fair and he should take it. If he doesn't, I think it would be his loss. Its a matter of £1000 (4%) - an amount which any buyer is reasonably likely to expect before buying something like a car.

Ive repped some people who helped but not all... but I ran out of rep! So ill continue tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouse01)
    Yeah it's a 177 which is the best 2.0. More than enough oomph
    If you don't mind me asking, why do you need an A6 Avant?

Posted from TSR iPad
    My dad seems to like the shape. And we're Indian. Indians are really keen on SPAAACEEEEE

as you can see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6h0lkq-Sno

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.