Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by evantej)
    Skype is not a useful way to interview for a number of reasons. For the types of courses above, the actual interview is only one part of the day (e.g. presentation, listening and writing tests, and group tasks).
    What types of courses do that?! Certainly very few med schools

In addition, you are putting up additional financial and technological barriers up to applicants.
    Yeah that's a good point. The proportion of the population that actually has the internet surprisingly low (about 80%). Unis would have to offer interviews through exam centres etc, which adds extra cost.

This would eliminate the whole social reason for going to university for many as it really becomes about the study.
    Going to the same uni as all your friends and not stratifying by ability makes it about the study? Surely its the exact opposite?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    What types of courses do that?! Certainly very few med schools

Yeah that's a good point. The proportion of the population that actually has the internet surprisingly low (about 80%). Unis would have to offer interviews through exam centres etc, which adds extra cost.

Going to the same uni as all your friends and not stratifying by ability makes it about the study? Surely its the exact opposite?
    The speech and language therapy interview I went to earlier this year did that. (I have also been to PGCE interviews that are similar). I deliberately - to put this thread into context - choose universities which did not interview to keep costs down.

I imagine lots of people would not bother going to university if this was the case, which is hardly a bad thing. Having said that, the stratification in ability you talk about is really misleading and shows the overemphasis on undergraduate education in this country. For starters, A levels are poor discriminators of ability and merely reflect the social background of the parents. Secondly, people always make inappropriate comparisons to show they would be receive a worse education under this system. But it is never about the provision between, say, Cumbria and Oxford. The student either went to a prestigious university or not. The relative differences between them is minimal. For instance, if I - as someone from the north east - had gone to a university further south, say, Liverpool or Warwick, would I honestly be getting a worse education if I had to go to Newcastle instead? If I am honest - no. You could easily differentiate local students in popular subjects, say English, too. Person A goes to Newcastle; person B goes to Northumbria. This is not unfair because these students will have gone to universities on par with Newcastle and Northumbria anyway. It also works if your local university does not have provision. If I wanted to do a course that Newcastle and Northumbria did not offer then I check Sunderland, Durham, and then universities in Edinburgh, Cumbria and Teeside respectively. The amount of money this would save would be massive.

It is also worth pointing out that educational achievement in local areas around some very prestigious universities, Durham and Oxford spring to mind, is actually embarrassingly low. It might be good if these universities started working for the benefit of their local communities, rather than middle class students who travel half way across the country to study there.

Pure speculation of course!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by evantej)
    The speech and language therapy interview I went to earlier this year did that. (I have also been to PGCE interviews that are similar). I deliberately - to put this thread into context - choose universities which did not interview to keep costs down.

I imagine lots of people would not bother going to university if this was the case, which is hardly a bad thing. Having said that, the stratification in ability you talk about is really misleading and shows the overemphasis on undergraduate education in this country. For starters, A levels are poor discriminators of ability and merely reflect the social background of the parents.
    A-levels correlate very well with degree classification awarded. Both correlate well with parental social background! That's not going to change because people go to local unis.

Secondly, people always make inappropriate comparisons to show they would be receive a worse education under this system. But it is never about the provision between, say, Cumbria and Oxford. The student either went to a prestigious university or not. The relative differences between them is minimal. For instance, if I - as someone from the north east - had gone to a university further south, say, Liverpool or Warwick, would I honestly be getting a worse education if I had to go to Newcastle instead? If I am honest - no. You could easily differentiate local students in popular subjects, say English, too. Person A goes to Newcastle; person B goes to Northumbria. This is not unfair because these students will have gone to universities on par with Newcastle and Northumbria anyway. It also works if your local university does not have provision. If I wanted to do a course that Newcastle and Northumbria did not offer then I check Sunderland, Durham, and then universities in Edinburgh, Cumbria and Teeside respectively. The amount of money this would save would be massive.
    Where are these massive saving actually coming from? Unis not having to provide accommodation? (saddling the poor parents with the burden instead! ).

It is also worth pointing out that educational achievement in local areas around some very prestigious universities, Durham and Oxford spring to mind, is actually embarrassingly low.
    Except for the huge number of private schools which gravitate to the areas to attract internationals, of course. But yes there are some deprived areas around those two unis.

It might be good if these universities started working for the benefit of their local communities, rather than middle class students who travel half way across the country to study there.
    Encouraging local responsibility would be good. Its not that simple though. Take Oxford - if it had to recruit locally, it would simply skip Cowley/Blackbird Leys and all its social problems and go for any and every other town in Oxfordshire, which are universally affluent places brimming with middle class students wanting to go to university. I don't think it would tackle social problems on a national scale to any great degree, if at all.

ReputationRep:
    Should all universities interview?

I think it would be realistic to state that universities will start interviewing in the future no matter what course you apply for. Things are just getting ridiculously competitive nowadays.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they should; gives you a chance to really sell yourself as a person - something you don't get to do effectively when you're only given 47 lines.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.