Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do squats make your butt, thighs and hips bigger? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummitOfReason)
    I am under the impression that they tend to make it more shapely and round, I think how large it is is really to do with how much you eat and also your genetics as other people have said. But it can be nice to have a small round bum so it doesn't really matter.

Also anybody know a link to a really great guide on how to do proper squats that they could recommend? Maybe a youtube link or an article?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXJrBgI2RxA

found this one useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toodles8)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXJrBgI2RxA

found this one useful
    Thank u.

Anyway seriously don't worry about the whole not having a bigger bum because you'd just be so silly to. I mean someone like Kiera Knightley's butt can look so hot even though its very thin. I mean small bums can be nice but just so long as you are determined to do squats every day I'm sure that after a few months your bum will be much more toned and shapely and will look great regardless of how much fat is on there . Good luck with it.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want bigger thighs!?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'm looking to get a more womanly curve to my body, will squats help?
    or do they make you lose weight in these areas?
    Yes, squats will make your thighs and butt bigger which, when combined with some fat-loss (if required), will make you look more womanly.

and if they do add weight to make you look curvier, why do men do them? (sorry if it's a stupid question...i'm new to the world of working out)
    As I previously said, they make your thighs and butt bigger so that's one reason why men do them, and also because they make you stronger so they're very relevant to quite a lot of sports. Plus, they're just fun to do.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    tbh you can do squats and they can be a bit quaddy...lots of people have bad glute activation....I generally tense them as hard as I can for about 3 secs before doing squats to help with activation.

Lunges will also help a lot and sprinting.

ReputationRep:
    Here's a pic of a before and after of a girl that started squatting:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SummitOfReason)
    I am under the impression that they tend to make it more shapely and round, I think how large it is is really to do with how much you eat and also your genetics as other people have said. But it can be nice to have a small round bum so it doesn't really matter.

Also anybody know a link to a really great guide on how to do proper squats that they could recommend? Maybe a youtube link or an article?
    Try the exercise guide in the FAQ. Blind Monk has written a really good instruction for squatting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McHumpy92)
    tbh you can do squats and they can be a bit quaddy...lots of people have bad glute activation....I generally tense them as hard as I can for about 3 secs before doing squats to help with activation.

Lunges will also help a lot and sprinting.
    Is squatting actually effective without using weights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pandabird)
    Is squatting actually effective without using weights?
    Pretty much no...better off doing sprinting...or standing at the bottom of the stairs and attempting to jump as many steps at a time ...jumping with both feet like a squat...try and do at least 3 steps at a time.

With lunges you actually don't need that much extra weight...so maybe a rucksack or a couple of hand weights.

ReputationRep:
    One way to get bigger booty which is exercising at the gym and doing targeted exercises and important thing when you exercise wear booty wow. Use as big weights as you can while doing the exercise movement correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex360)
    Genetically, not everybody has the same bum, some butt's have more muscle, some have more fat, some are flat. Squats are exercise if you don't have much muscle in the first place it will be difficult/near impossible to build your butt and you will just be burning calories. In the process of burning calories, your butt will most probably shrink as well if there is not much muscle.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

omg hahaha

omg

srs ahahaha

and if they do add weight to make you look curvier, why do men do them? (sorry if it's a stupid question...i'm new to the world of working out)
    Yes to increasing muscle mass in glutes, quads and hamstrings. No to making them lose weight.

You're not going to progress much on bodyweight squats so make sure you squat with additional weight and then progressively add weight.

ReputationRep:
    do squats if you want a womanly butt!

ReputationRep:
    Women doing squats - more womanly figure
    Men doing squats - more manly from figure

This is because men and women have different body composition and hormones.

ReputationRep:
    Since starting squatting my bum isn't bigger but is more "lifted". Feelsgoodman.

ReputationRep:
    Squats definitely made my quads bigger and kind of bulging... I think my bum is slightly bigger and firmer but it's still not round enough in my eyes. I don't really want my thighs any bigger though so I guess I'll just have to maintain it at this level.

ReputationRep:

It's added mass to my glutes and legs. Luckily as a man I have the upper body to match. God help men that don't...

ReputationRep:
    for make bigger butt do squats, lunges, jump squats and jogging when doing these workouts wear booty wow will make your butt pop more, and will make your thighs thicker and muscular.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BercasioJhen)
    for make bigger butt do squats, lunges, jump squats and jogging when doing these workouts wear booty wow will make your butt pop more, and will make your thighs thicker and muscular.
    ahahahahahahaha

ReputationRep:
    they actually lift up your butt and make your butt bigger and sexy and when you doing squats wear bootywow which more help to make good shape and bigger

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.