Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My first job was a sunday sales assistant in a bargain clothes shop... I got £99 every month for 24 hours work (£4.15 an hour).

ReputationRep:
    my first job was at 14 where I got paid £4.50 per hour, then when I turned 16 it was £5 and now i'm 17 its £5.50 Waitressing in a cafe

ReputationRep:
    Not being on the dole is about all you can hope for at the moment, PHD grad or not.

ReputationRep:
    I was lucky enough to be payed around £5.60 for my first (and current) job, which recently rose to £6.65 when I turned 18
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    God I've had so many jobs lol. My first one was in dominos pizza at 16 and I got £4odds. Then I ended up in a butchers on a saturday, still 16, and got £3.55, but I was bullied really badly there by the supervisor and all my family kept telling me to quit. My gran was going to go down and yell at the woman :teehee: But then I got my christmas Game job and that was £5.50odds. I was so surprised about how much money it was lol.

In disney I got $7.45 which was round about £4ish, which was a bit crap especially since it was so expensive for food and accomodation there!

But then my best paying job was in Lloyds tsb, I was on £8.50ph plus 10% extra for working after 8pm and 15% extra for working Sundays

Then working in a law firm I got £50 a day and I worked 2 1/2 days a week. So that was good plus real work experience for my career. Now I'm poor as I aint got no job. But it's exams and such and I've just applied to work in eurocamp.

I know that doesn't really answer your question but I'm just showing how much variety and how luck comes into it.

ReputationRep:
    I was paid £5.50 in my first job when I was 16, but usually you're expected to work for minimum wage or slightly more in part-time/temporary work.

ReputationRep:
    I am 17 and work in Waitrose on £6.29 an hour but get time and a half on Sundays so on average it works out to about £8 an hour, plus all the JLP benefits.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.