The Student Room Group

Apple Mac or Windows Laptop for starting University in September?

Scroll to see replies

If you have an iPad already- have you considered a desktop? I know they are more bulky but personally I prefer the bigger screen for working for long periods of time. Again, if you buy a iMac you can get the discount. There a bit more expensive but not by much.
Honestly, if you have an iPhone or any other Apple product and are willing to spend the money buying an Apple computer, I would. I have an iPhone, iPad, iMac and MacBook Pro that are all coming with me to Sheffield Hallam University in September. I went 'Mac' about 5 years ago and have never looked back. Windows computers do tend to lag a lot quicker after buying than Apple so I would definitely recommend Apple all the way!

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!
I have a Macbook pro and I wouldn't recommend it. I only got it because I had to chose between getting a macbook for free as a present or paying for a pc myself. If I could go back I'd chose to spend my own money on a pc. Obviously it depends on what you need the laptop for but I've had many problems trying to run various programmes
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by bitsandbows
If you have an iPad already- have you considered a desktop? I know they are more bulky but personally I prefer the bigger screen for working for long periods of time. Again, if you buy a iMac you can get the discount. There a bit more expensive but not by much.

Thanks for the advice. Yes after reading you guys replies I'm thinking desktop might be the way to go as I'm going to be studying Law so a nice big screen would be good!!

Then i suppose take my iPad to lectures etc?
Reply 24
Original post by chloflorence
Honestly, if you have an iPhone or any other Apple product and are willing to spend the money buying an Apple computer, I would. I have an iPhone, iPad, iMac and MacBook Pro that are all coming with me to Sheffield Hallam University in September. I went 'Mac' about 5 years ago and have never looked back. Windows computers do tend to lag a lot quicker after buying than Apple so I would definitely recommend Apple all the way!

Once you go Mac, you'll never go back!

If you could only get either an iMac or MacBook Pro and you already had an iPad/iPhone which one would you get for uni?

And you would not EVER get the other haha, once I buy one there's no way I'll be able to save again for the other!
Reply 25
Macs for the looks, Windows for the functionality and power
Original post by millie-rose
If you could only get either an iMac or MacBook Pro and you already had an iPad/iPhone which one would you get for uni?

And you would not EVER get the other haha, once I buy one there's no way I'll be able to save again for the other!

I have a Macbook Pro (I love it! mines the 13in) and I'd choose it over an iMac
I like being able to take it and work wherever I like, I often have to do work at the library and I just find it easier to have it with me than it is to work on my phone or mess around with memory sticks to transfer work from the PC's there. If you've got an iPad though you might find that fine to work on instead of having a laptop with you.
Original post by millie-rose

Easily, the iMac! A MacBook Pro might be more beneficial for your lectures but if you took that out of the equation iMacs are better than MacBook Pros :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest