Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Could you forgive your gf/bf if they had cheated? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezekiella)
    I personally wouldn't no matter what the circumstances. Call me harsh but even if they're drunk or something they should have been smart enough not to put themself in that situation in the first place.
    This.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Forgive maybe, but I think it'd be hard to forget.

I know that my dad cheated on my mum just after they'd had my older sister. She took him back, and they're still together 26 years later, but its destroyed any trust my mum had. She gets so paranoid when he goes away with work, and she still feels like she has to check his texts/emails all the time just in case he's cheating again. Sadly, however much I love my dad, I think it would have been better for her if she'd just left him. I think she would have been happier.

I love my boyfriend very much. I always try to sympathise and understand him and be on his side. It is fortunate he is lovely enough not to take advantage of my devotion, but I guess that's exactly why I love him - so I don't think this makes me a doormat? Hmm.

If he cheated, I would want to understand and sympathise because that's my inclination with him. I guess it would come down to whether I could, whether it would change the very reasons I admire him so much. I'm not sure I can tell, without it actually happening, or without a fairly detailed context at least. I think I would want to move past it and stay together, but obviously something fairly substantial would have to change/be addressed. Otherwise, it could happen again.

ReputationRep:
    No, reasoning is fairly obvious there isnt it... if someones happy to do it once theyd be more than happy to do it again wont they.

Forgive maybe, but I think it'd be hard to forget.

I know that my dad cheated on my mum just after they'd had my older sister. She took him back, and they're still together 26 years later, but its destroyed any trust my mum had. She gets so paranoid when he goes away with work, and she still feels like she has to check his texts/emails all the time just in case he's cheating again. Sadly, however much I love my dad, I think it would have been better for her if she'd just left him. I think she would have been happier.

I think I'd leave them, just because I've seen what it can do to someone to stay in that relationship.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't even think of forgiving and no, I haven't been in that situation before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    No, reasoning is fairly obvious there isnt it... if someones happy to do it once theyd be more than happy to do it again wont they.
    I wouldn't take a cheater back either, but that only applies if they made a conscious decision to cheat. Not everybody who cheats plans to do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    I wouldn't take a cheater back either, but that only applies if they made a conscious decision to cheat. Not everybody who cheats plans to do it.
    Maybe but ive always found the 'it was an accient' excuse almost more offensive than the act itself, after all you dont just fall into a vagina or onto a penis do you...although if such a strange occurance did actually happen then i might forgive them.. ha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darsen)
    OK, so you're condoning denying trust and hurting others?
    No :confused:

I'm saying as a general statement people aren't happy to cheat full stop, therefore I don't agree with the idea that if they've done it once they'll do it again. You will find a lot of people who have cheated didn't plan for it to happen, it not as straightforward as deciding you are going to cheat and then doing it.

I haven't ever cheated by the way.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. Though it's very difficult to say definitively as circumstances will always be varied.

ReputationRep:
    Well I've never been in that situation but if I was I don't think I could forgive them! The trust would be completely gone.
    I would end the relationship or I would probably end up hating them!

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't forgive them.

I'd pretend to forgive them and then sexually humiliate them (no rape), ejaculate on their face and ditch them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Type 052D)
    Since your Turkish, you do know that relationships before marriage is haram!?
    :curious:

Since you’re on the internet, you do know that imposing your religious assumptions onto people is stupid!?

ReputationRep:
    I'd forgive them as we all make mistakes/ have regrets however i could not go back to being with them in the bf sense . It would just make me paranoid (e.g. if they come back late one day) thinking they may do it again. I wouldn't be able to trust them and would feel as if I was inadequate/ didn't mean a lot to them thats why they did it in the first place. In my eyes the relationship could never get back to how it was before they cheated as all my trust for them would have gone.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 6, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.