The Student Room Group

Making your Firm and Insurance Choices: ***FAQ 2013***

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
My offer was changed and the deadline extended until June. I'm not entirely sure, but the uni might have been able to put a marker on to say that they are reconsidering so you will get the extra time even if they haven't made a decision yet :smile:
Hi, I have already deferred a place at stirling university for 2014 but still wish to accept a place at heriot-watt for the 2013 start in case my plans for the following year changes-How do i go about doing this when in UCAS track I can only accept one and decline the other? (both are un-conditionals)

Original post by Minerva
**Choosing your Firm and Insurance is an important decision and it is worth taking time over it.**
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 22
Original post by allthehassle
Hi, I have already deferred a place at stirling university for 2014 but still wish to accept a place at heriot-watt for the 2013 start in case my plans for the following year changes-How do i go about doing this when in UCAS track I can only accept one and decline the other? (both are un-conditionals)
You can't. If you accept an unconditional offer as your firm, that's it. You will have to make your mind up now, I'm afraid.
Original post by Minerva

So is the deadline 23:59 on 8th May or 23:59 on 7th May? They should make this really obvious on the website -.- I've decided my firm choice but am unsure about what to have as my insurance :/
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by Mycroft Holmes
So is the deadline 23:59 on 8th May or 23:59 on 7th May? They should make this really obvious on the website -.- I've decided my firm choice but am unsure about what to have as my insurance :/
23.59 on 8 May.

Make a choice - and if you wake up the next day unhappy about it, ring UCAS and change it (but you can only do this once).
Original post by Minerva
23.59 on 8 May.

Make a choice - and if you wake up the next day unhappy about it, ring UCAS and change it (but you can only do this once).

Thanks. Just wondering, how do you know for certain that it's on 8 May and not before? Do you work for UCAS or something?
Thanks. Just wondering, how do you know for certain that it's on 8 May and not before? Do you work for UCAS or something?

its stated on the UCAS website here (scroll right down): http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/offers/replyingtoyouroffers

although I'm not sure where she got the time from, I remember I got a text from UCAS a while back, reminding me that I have until 6pm on 8th may to reply to my choices :confused:
Reply 27
No, just been around on this site for a while.

Original post by fuzzybear
its stated on the UCAS website here (scroll right down): http://www.ucas.ac.uk/students/offers/replyingtoyouroffers

although I'm not sure where she got the time from, I remember I got a text from UCAS a while back, reminding me that I have until 6pm on 8th may to reply to my choices :confused:
In the absence of a specific instruction like the one you have, 23.59 will be fine - the same deadline that's used for the deadlines on 15 October and 15 January.
Original post by Minerva
I doubt it, to be honest. Why did you have such a tight deadline?
i thought you had 14 days after receiving a letter from ucas to change between your firm and you insurance?
Reply 29
Original post by croberts898
i thought you had 14 days after receiving a letter from ucas to change between your firm and you insurance?

Take note that this was in 2010 and that person had just got their results, from what I understand (may be wrong) they didn't get the grades for the course they wanted but the university they wanted offered a place for a similar course. I think it's a short time because everything happens so quickly once results are released because everyone wants a place:smile:
Reply 30
Original post by croberts898
In 2010 you did - I've moved your post into the current thread, and you'll see that the time limit now is 7 days from the date of your letter (not when you receive it).
Reply 31
Hello, (first post in the forums by the way)

I am a little concerned about my offer status so I guess I will tell you the whole story.

I received a conditional offer almost 2 months ago from the university I was interested in, asking me to upload some documents in their portal site. After that, I got an e-mail from the Admissions Team saying "Many thanks for sending us your qualifications, however we are unable to take any further action on your application until you have responded to our offer. Once you have logged onto UCAS Track to make your choices we will then take the necessary action on your application to the University.
" You should bear in mind that the documents i sent have met the required qualifications so I am expecting an unconditional offer.

I waited for all the universities to answer to my application and the tricky part is this: UCAS said I had a deadline for the 8th of May or so. But after a few days (it was still before the 8th of May) the deadline changed by itself to June (6th or 7th i think)
That change didn't really bother me and I took my time to reply. I made a firm choice to the university I mentioned above at the 22nd of May. Since then, the offer is still conditional even though the e-mail I had received a while ago said that "we will take the necessary action on your application once you have logged onto UCAS Track to make your choices". I sent an e-mail to the Admissions Administrator but I have yet to receive a response!

Can someone tell me if this is right? What should I do? Did I miss the deadline by mistake? Is that delay ordinary?
Also, must I have an unconditional offer to apply for accommodation at the university campus?

I would appreciate any help (as fast as possible)
Thanks.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Phevos
Hello, (first post in the forums by the way)

I am a little concerned about my offer status so I guess I will tell you the whole story.

I received a conditional offer almost 2 months ago from the university I was interested in, asking me to upload some documents in their portal site. After that, I got an e-mail from the Admissions Team saying "Many thanks for sending us your qualifications, however we are unable to take any further action on your application until you have responded to our offer. Once you have logged onto UCAS Track to make your choices we will then take the necessary action on your application to the University.
" You should bear in mind that the documents i sent have met the required qualifications so I am expecting an unconditional offer.

I waited for all the universities to answer to my application and the tricky part is this: UCAS said I had a deadline for the 8th of May or so. But after a few days (it was still before the 8th of May) the deadline changed by itself to June (6th or 7th i think)
That change didn't really bother me and I took my time to reply. I made a firm choice to the university I mentioned above at the 22nd of May. Since then, the offer is still conditional even though the e-mail I had received a while ago said that "we will take the necessary action on your application once you have logged onto UCAS Track to make your choices". I sent an e-mail to the Admissions Administrator but I have yet to receive a response!

Can someone tell me if this is right? What should I do? Did I miss the deadline by mistake? Is that delay ordinary?
Also, must I have an unconditional offer to apply for accommodation at the university campus?

I would appreciate any help (as fast as possible)
Thanks.
It's only three days ago, and it's a bank holiday weekend. Chill - it will be sorted out. If you have met the offer conditions in full it will be updated from conditional to unconditional at some point, but it doesn't matter if it takes a few days.

The uni will send you details about applying for accommodation in due course - exactly when varies from uni to uni.
Hi everyone,

I put City Uni London as my firm (BBB) and Exeter as my insurance (BBC), but after much deliberation I have decided I would much rather go to Exeter... I understand that I need to contact the UCAS and then the universities, but would it be possible to change it at all? Considering Exeter is a great Uni and they probably won't like to be messed around...
Reply 34
Original post by Minerva
It's only three days ago, and it's a bank holiday weekend. Chill - it will be sorted out. If you have met the offer conditions in full it will be updated from conditional to unconditional at some point, but it doesn't matter if it takes a few days.

The uni will send you details about applying for accommodation in due course - exactly when varies from uni to uni.

Thanks for the info Minerva! I feel more relieved now :^_^:
Hey :smile:

I applied for universities around 6 months ago, I've already chosen my firm and next week I'm supposed to send them my results (I'm an EU applicant), my status will change into unconditional. Anyways, during the past few months I found another study programme which I'd enjoy doing so much more. It would have to be in another university though. Is there a way to to apply to one more university through Clearing? Or I must have rejected all offers in order to do that?
Hey. This might be a wrong thread, anyways... I've already firmed a university but during the last few months I kinda changed my mind about my chosen course :frown: There is no way to apply through clearing, is there?
Reply 37
Original post by shutthedoor
Hey. This might be a wrong thread, anyways... I've already firmed a university but during the last few months I kinda changed my mind about my chosen course :frown: There is no way to apply through clearing, is there?
The information you need and a link to the wiki article Changing your Mind is in the first post in this thread.
Reply 38
Just looking for a little advice on my Uni application.

I have a conditional for Edinburgh Napier and also an unconditional for Stirling.I loved Stirling campus(involves moving away) ,however, I feel I would really be happier at Napier(would stay at home).Therefore how do I go about accepting my UCAS place- if I firm Napier and make Stirling my insurance and don't meet my conditions for Napier must I go to Stirling(still having doubts)?

Can anyone clarify what my options are?I am a Scottish applicant.
Reply 39
Original post by beach5
Just looking for a little advice on my Uni application.

I have a conditional for Edinburgh Napier and also an unconditional for Stirling.I loved Stirling campus(involves moving away) ,however, I feel I would really be happier at Napier(would stay at home).Therefore how do I go about accepting my UCAS place- if I firm Napier and make Stirling my insurance and don't meet my conditions for Napier must I go to Stirling(still having doubts)?

Can anyone clarify what my options are?I am a Scottish applicant.

If you miss your firm offer for Napier then you would be accepted into Stirling (if you have accepted Stirling as your insurance). However, no one is forcing you to go to university. You could ask the university to release you so that you can go into clearing. Alternatively, you could wait and reapply in the next cycle.

If you really really do not want to go to Stirling, then don't bother making them your insurance. This way you can go straight into clearing if Napier does not accept you.
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending