Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex193)
    I have an substantial collection of Lamy pens (colour-coded to their inks, might I add ) - much prefer the smoothness and fluidity of a fountain pen compared to a biro.
    Nice! I've got a handful of different pens, and I keep different colours in each Though keep away from Mont Blanc blue-black ink; I put some in my MB and it stained the nib Waterman do really nice inks for not much money, and in loads of colours!

ReputationRep:
    I still write with a fountain pen occasionally, and I love doing it.

I sadly don't all the time because you can't use them in exams, and if I don't use the right paper then my ink ends up spreading and making my letters fat and hard to read.

I was never really a fan of using the cheaper fountain pens, but when my dad bought me a really nice Cross for my birthday I discovered the joy of using them! They're so smooth and they make my writing look nice and legible, even if I'm writing fast.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! I have been using them since year 4. I am often mocked but they are just philistines. I have 2 Parker Vector pens: one with blue ink for work and one with black ink for exams.

ReputationRep:
    I wish a lived in a world where left handed people could write with a fountain pen comfortably.

ReputationRep:
    Yes I would be lost without my Parkers. I broke my Waterman last year bad times

ReputationRep:
    My Secondary school had a rule to only use fountain pens or else you'll get detention and rewrite all of your notes with one.

Although they make use use black biro for exams because some don't accept fountain pens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inkman)
    I wish a lived in a world where left handed people could write with a fountain pen comfortably.
    Have you looked into oblique nibs for left handers? Lamy do them and apparently they make it a bit easier

ReputationRep:
    Used one on and off for years :love: Although I actually prefer writing with dip pens, how archaic does that sound

ReputationRep:
    Hell yeah! Started in Yearh 4/5, right till now; anyone else have a Visconti Rembrandt?

ReputationRep:
    My writing looks horrible with fountain pens

I like using them though. Used them all through primary and secondary school

ReputationRep:
    If you guys are interested in stuff like literature, books etc.. Then you should check out my blog:

http://wingsofgoodfortune.blogspot.co.uk/

ReputationRep:
    I used a fountain pen through high school and I still use one to write in my diary. However, when I'm at uni I write using a biro because that's what I have in my pencil case for practicals as it won't smudge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ed-)
    My writing looks horrible with fountain pens

I like using them though. Used them all through primary and secondary school
    Are you left handed?

ReputationRep:
    I like using them sometimes I do write in biro, but ink pens are so much easier to write with. Sometimes I still use my feather pen for homework, where you have to do the whole pen-dipped-in-a-bottle-of-ink thing.

ReputationRep:
    From the age of 7 to 18 I had to use a fountain pen at school. With regards to using them in exams, I did all mine in fountain ink- again, enforced by school.

I still have quite a few from that time hanging around and I do sometimes use them but I have to say that for everyday things now, I tend not to. At university I find it more helpful to have several cheap pens in my pencil case/ desk that it doesn't matter if I lose o break etc. I also find it quicker and easier to use biro type pens. On the occasion I do whack out the ole founatain pen, I sometimes it sinks too much into my notepad paper and just ends up looking a bit messy.

One thing I have noticed with much of my old schoolwork is that a lot of it has faded in a very short time, something which I blame almost entirely on the ink/ paper combination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kittyb99)
    Are you left handed?
    Right handed
    My handwriting has always just been pretty awful

And sometimes I smudge the line above the one I'm writing too. Also happens with gel pens.
    And I drop them and bend the nib. Maybe they're just not for me

ReputationRep:
    I always use a fountain pen! Mine is a bit "old" though because I buy the ink in glass bottles and you have to "squeeze" it into the cartridge. A bit like a syringe. I love using a fountain pen because I feel it flows really well and I write neater with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChocoholicPolyglot)
    I always use a fountain pen! Mine is a bit "old" though because I buy the ink in glass bottles and you have to "squeeze" it into the cartridge. A bit like a syringe. I love using a fountain pen because I feel it flows really well and I write neater with it
    Those are the best ones! My pens are all piston-fill

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't write with anything else. I love my Parker and it loves me.

ReputationRep:
    I used one all through lower school.

Not so much any more though. I have 2 very nice (and valuable, well for most people's standards, not for pen standards) fountain pens though.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.