Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teddypicker1)
    I am not a big Tory fan, nor a big Labour fan either when it comes down to it...
    but the worst thing about all this political drama is the manipulation of the public through the mass media... people are bombarded with criticisms of the tories' latest schemes left, right and centre before they've even had time to look at the facts! There are positive things about the 45p tax band, but in this society it seems a crime to even acknowledge them, without being branded a complete tory that is!
    As the opposition party, Labour need to be providing viable alternatives instead of purely ripping the Tories to shreds... haven't we had enough of that already?
    Nice to see an objective stance once in a while It's all a big game of lies, deceit and spin. Which is ironic given that we now live in the age of information

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    What would we get from the Lib Dems getting into power? More broken promises? At least the Tories are consistent.
    Stop trying to spin things, the million dollar question is the bit in bold. Labour are worse on the broken promises front: illegal wars, introducing tuition fees etc

ReputationRep:
    This rather banal Tory line of argument is really beginning to grate on me. The circumstances under the previous Labour government were entirely different to the ones we are experiencing now. The reason that this tax cut is being criticised - and quite rightly so - is because we are in times of austerity and whilst doing his best to destroy the poor and disabled in particular, Gideon is giving a tax cut to millionaires and high earners. It's the only response that the Tories have to their criminally unfair austerity programme.

But I do agree with you that 40p was far too low for the top earners!
    Surely the economic rationale for having a high rate of tax was more pressing when Labour were in power though? In the middle of a boom, company profits high, potentially more money in the Treasury's coffers if it were even to set the band at 45p.

It is blatant hypocrisy.

There is also a fair argument to say that the 45p bracket will also result in an increase in tax receipts than the 50p rate. I suspect Labour knew this, which is why they kept it at 40p for so long...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Morgsie)
    This is the same Party that has stolen the Mansion Tax idea
    It's a real sign of desperation. Party HQ can't think up any decent policies so have to steal from other parties. Milipede has even had to pay homage to the immigration argument (not discernible policy on this though, funnily enough)

ReputationRep:
    There are 2 other areas I want to mention: them loving power by centralisation and dictats in the public sector and services and the other area relates to them eroding our civil liberties

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scots King)
    It's a real sign of desperation. Party HQ can't think up any decent policies so have to steal from other parties. Milipede has even had to pay homage to the immigration argument (not discernible policy on this though, funnily enough)
    I didn't watch that PPB but the one before was a biography of Millipede

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrotgrot)
    Post about fixed-term parliaments

Post about fixed-term parliaments
    I missed this. That's a change for the boring

ReputationRep:
    Labour: we won't raise tuition fees! Student: wtf you raised them to 9k! Labour: how dare you start a riot!! It was a voting incentive!

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see an objective stance once in a while It's all a big game of lies, deceit and spin. Which is ironic given that we now live in the age of information
    Well, I wish it would be easier for the general public to be objective, but it's actually incredibly difficult when there is so much manipulation going on beneath the surface. I genuinely wish I could support at least one party in British politics at the moment, that would be a lot less confusing, but it just seems impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SannaS)
    Labour: we won't raise tuition fees! Student: wtf you raised them to 9k! Labour: how dare you start a riot!! It was a voting incentive!
    People have ignored this point, it's all bash the Lib Dems. EXCUSE ME but Labservatives would have increased. LD's had their hands tied on this issue and did what they could

ReputationRep:
    What would we get from the Lib Dems getting into power? More broken promises? At least the Tories are consistent.
    At least the Lib Dems were sorry...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_3Bqh8ZBAg

ReputationRep:
    Stop trying to spin things, the million dollar question is the bit in bold. Labour are worse on the broken promises front: illegal wars, introducing tuition fees etc
    I'm not here to defend the disgrace that is - or was, hopefully - New Labour, so I don't disagree with some of your above points. However, the Lib Dems are undoubtedly the party of broken promises. Blair never promised not to invade Iraq like all of those disgraceful LD MPs did with tuition fees.

ReputationRep:
    People have ignored this point, it's all bash the Lib Dems. EXCUSE ME but Labservatives would have increased. LD's had their hands tied on this issue and did what they could
    Excuse me? Calm down yh

ReputationRep:
    You think Labour's tuition fee lie was worse than the Lib Dems?

Bo honkey.

ReputationRep:
    Does the phrase;

"No more sleeze! No more lies! No more broken promises!"

Mean anything to you?

I'll clue you in - It was one of Tony Blair's rallying call against the Tory party for lies and spin - only to turn out to be the most shambolic, hypocriticial, 'do as a I say not as I do' party of the modern era.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    You think Labour's tuition fee lie was worse than the Lib Dems?

Bo honkey.
    Uh - It was Labour who promised not to introduce tuition fees - only to have them introduced in the fall of 1998 of £3,000.

Where were the protests then? ...Exactly. All too easily we look at what we have now, and not from where it all started from.

ReputationRep:
    It's a sign of desperation because Labour know that after 13 years of wasteful spending on pet projects, they just damn well that they would have to implement some of the Tory's policies if they were elected back in.

Labour cocked up the economy, again, so it's up to the mug taxpayer who is being squeezed among other things to pay for the recession, driven by the right-wing agenda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chad_Bronson)
    Uh - It was Labour who promised not to introduce tuition fees - only to have them introduced in the fall of 1998 of £3,000.

Where were the protests then? ...Exactly. All too easily we look at what we have now, and not from where it all started from.
    Uhh and it was the Lib Dems who categorically stated they wouldn't vote to raise tuition fees. I'd take a £3k increase over a £6k one. Pot, kettle black.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chad_Bronson)
    Does the phrase;

"No more sleeze! No more lies! No more broken promises!"

Mean anything to you?

I'll clue you in - It was one of Tony Blair's rallying call against the Tory party for lies and spin - only to turn out to be the most shambolic, hypocriticial, 'do as a I say not as I do' party of the modern era.
    I'm sorry, but what is the point you're trying to make here? I never said anything in defence of Tony Blair. All I did say was "At least the Tories are consistent." and "More broken promises?" <-- LDs, which is true.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    Uhh and it was the Lib Dems who categorically stated they wouldn't vote to raise tuition fees. I'd take a £3k increase over a £6k one. Pot, kettle black.
    We can pan the Lib Dems for out and out lying to the general public and alienating it's strong student support base (of which Mr. Clegg, why did you sign for it if you deliberately KNEW that the deal was faulty?), but I personally don't get why people are panning the Lib Dem's - when this is, also categorically, a problem by Labour.

And as much as the lefties don't want to hear this - the actual truth behind why the fees have increased is too many people are going into University. Yes, there is still a big proportion of college leavers / school leavers who have no desire to go to Uni - but Universities in general are struggling to compete with the wave of people that is going.

This isn't about fairness, at all. £27,000 debt for many courses does not constitute fairness. The use of money and raising of the fees was a deliberate, clandestine attempt at deterring people from going to University. The line we were fed - we have no money, as issued by Vince Cable, is complete BS. They knew this would happen - and worse still, that crazy stunt Clegg signing for it will mean that students will not trust the Lib Dems for a long time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.