Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Germany and France 'will block David Cameron's plan for a new EU treaty' Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MatureStudent36)
    I think that's all that people are after really.
    Perhaps, it will be interesting to see the relevant polls in the run-up.

I'd personally want big reform on employment law and CAP and yes, i'd be willing to negotiate the rebate for it but i suppose that justice and fishing are still pretty good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Perhaps, it will be interesting to see the relevant polls in the run-up.

I'd personally want big reform on employment law and CAP and yes, i'd be willing to negotiate the rebate for it but i suppose that justice and fishing are still pretty good.
    I think Camerons going to come out of this looking quite well.

I bet Tony Blair will be fuming as he sees the power of his hopeful presidency eroded.

ReputationRep:
    You're not wrong Sarah Jane. Ignoring to pro federal European bile that the Guardian spills out on a daily basis. The UK is not hated by the other EU members. Infact, especially in Germany there's a healthy respect for us. Mainly because the German population feel that our government is doing exactly what the German government should be doing.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/...-a-879434.html

Infact, by all accounts Camerons recent meeting with Merkel is very cordial and I suspect we'll see some ground given by the EU.

France is very vocal in being against it, but France is France and at the moment and for some time in the future they'll do what the Germans tell them to do.

As has been said before, the EU needs the UK in Europe and if it involves making concessions on things like the work time directive, fishery policies etc. It'll happen.

The only people trying to shout the UK down in Europe are those ones that feel they will benefit from not having us in there.
    Thanks that helped my knowledge of the whole "EU" UK relationship!!!!

ReputationRep:
    What I want to see is CAP gone completely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rsplaya)
    What I want to see is CAP gone completely.
    Unlikely. Framce would be playing it's face if it did that. Although in the position it's in at the moment it's hardly in a position to demand anything.

What do you think will happen if we got rid of CAP? Cheaper or more expensive food for the public?

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely. Framce would be playing it's face if it did that. Although in the position it's in at the moment it's hardly in a position to demand anything.

What do you think will happen if we got rid of CAP? Cheaper or more expensive food for the public?
    It could rise but if it did it would be a very small one. The main purpose of CAP is protection against cheaper non EU imports. Protectionism isn't a policy we should support as it hurts poorer countries which have mainly Primary tier jobs. Also the vast majority of farms in the UK are owned by the extremely wealthy. The Queen owns lots of farms as does the richest man in Britain both of which receive millions each year from CAP.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.