Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2013 Chinese Grand Prix Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    Caterham have been rumoured to be struggling for a while now though aint they? they had that stuff where they admitted trying to merge with Marussia, who they haven't been as fast as so far this season as well, and now this, all points to seriously lacking funds

ReputationRep:
    Vettel has said he would do it again. Webber says if/when contract talks start in the summer he will speak to Matescitz (not Horner). This will be going for a few races yet. As for the claims Red Bull won't make team orders any more, I bet they do but just start swearing on the radios more to stop them broadcasting it.

ReputationRep:
    Webber's too heavy for next year's cars anyway, so I very much doubt he'll still be at RBR in 2014.

ReputationRep:
    I'd never thought of that point.
    Although surely its better to have a known good driver than a young unproven driver more likely to be there for their money than the skills he has. Hmmm...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Vettel has said he would do it again. Webber says if/when contract talks start in the summer he will speak to Matescitz (not Horner). This will be going for a few races yet. As for the claims Red Bull won't make team orders any more, I bet they do but just start swearing on the radios more to stop them broadcasting it.
    I reckon it will be Vettel and one of the Toro Rosso drivers next year.

Webber will be off to WEC.

(Original post by Lib)
    Webber's too heavy for next year's cars anyway, so I very much doubt he'll still be at RBR in 2014.
    Yea? What are the differences in weight etc?
    Guessing it's down to the new engine weights?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    New engines will be much heavier so 2014 regs have a higher minimum weight, from 642kg now to 685kg.

Perhaps it will be quite marginal on weight, depending on how heavy the engines turn out, but I highly doubt it will determine the omission of a winning driver.

But anyway if Webber's weight is a problem then so to would be Hulk, Rosberg, Di Resta...and they'll be in cars that won't be able to match Red Bull's tight packaging. Newey takes weight restriction to the extreme.

But it's not much different to 2009 when the KERS weight was making things marginal. Drivers will probably have to lose another kilo or two, but they won't be let go for being on the heavier side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    :lol: I'm liking Vettel more and more as this whole thing unfolds. Such a divisive character. I love it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    I reckon it will be Vettel and one of the Toro Rosso drivers next year.

Webber will be off to WEC.

Which one though? I don't really rate either of them. Would probably pick Hulk or Bianchi over either of them.

Isn't Button quite tall and heavy too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Isn't Button quite tall and heavy too?
    He's a very good (good for F1) weight for his size, around 70kg.

Di Resta heaviest at 78kg (he's also the tallest F1 driver, never looks it!)
    Hulk's also very tall, and 77kg,
    Webber at around 75kg

Schumacher was also quite heavy at 75kg as well.

Massa, Grosjean and Pic the lightest at 60kg. Considering Grosjean is basically as tall as Button that's shockingly light.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! Finally a GP live on the BBC. Hoping for Merc to win this one again, but I don't mind as long as it isn't Princess Stampyfoot that wins. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    The epic wet race from Senna at Donington '93 is on tonight at Sky 7pm.

Possibly best first lap ever. Can anybody think of other great first lap in a race?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMagicRat)
    :lol: I'm liking Vettel more and more as this whole thing unfolds. Such a divisive character. I love it!
    To be honest I think he tried playing nice for 5 years, a little too nice sometimes imo, and despite that he's still disliked on the whole. Now I think he's just tired off it and also probably annoyed inside that even as a triple world champ he doesn't get the respect and popularity of one.

Wouldn't be surprised if he's just going to remain like this now, I personally would respect him more for it (better to be a genuine bad guy than a phony good guy). He probably would be more popular this way as well, Schumacher was as brutally unapologetic as they came and he was unbelievably popular...although he was that way from race 1.

Alonso has been the villian for the best part of 5-6 years, last year he turned into the anti-hero underdog that everybody cheered for. Vettel's got the villain crown now.

The only true good guy in F1 is Hamilton imo, I'm not a fan and for the first few years I thought he was full of it but now that he's lost that young-guy arrogance he seems to be very ethical and fair guy.

ReputationRep:
    Statistics show that Thatcher's death should equal a Lotus win this weekend

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...ame=sportsNews

ReputationRep:
    Alonso's response to Massa out-qualifying him for last 2 races:

"I haven't slept since Australia. I'm only eating white rice. I'm losing my hair. A huge drama," joked Alonso when asked about his qualifying defeats in a press conference with Spanish reporters.

"After 200 races, it's very surprising that two qualifying sessions matter so much. I'm pleased that it's so important, because it means that when I finish ahead of him it will mean I have done an stratospheric lap"

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/106644

ReputationRep:
    Seems like Vettel will actually gain fans with his new 'bad boy' image. Interesting. Nothing better than to see the bad guy lose though, which will make Fernando's victory this year ever so sweeter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    Seems like Vettel will actually gain fans with his new 'bad boy' image. Interesting. Nothing better than to see the bad guy lose though, which will make Fernando's victory this year ever so sweeter.
    Although I do always like to see the bad guy (or 'heel' as you and I are more accustomed to saying haha) win.

I think Alonso is still a villain but just in disguise, that guy is just cut-throat brutal...the lengths he went to at McLaren '07 were just epic :laugh:

I genuinely think he considers one of his achievements to be contributing to McLaren's disqualification from the only constructors' championship that they would have won in 10 years by giving evidence of their cheating.

Also there are photos of him on the Brazil '07 podium, having just lost his chance to win his 3rd consecutive championship, with a very menacing smirk :laugh: I didn't win but neither did you or Hamilton, suck it :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marc Fiorano)
    Although I do always like to see the bad guy (or 'heel' as you and I are more accustomed to saying haha) win.

I think Alonso is still a villain but just in disguise, that guy is just cut-throat brutal...the lengths he went to at McLaren '07 were just epic :laugh:

I genuinely think he considers one of his achievements to be contributing to McLaren's disqualification from the only constructors' championship that they would have won in 10 years by giving evidence of their cheating.

Also there are photos of him on the Brazil '07 podium, having just lost his chance to win his 3rd consecutive championship, with a very menacing smirk :laugh: I didn't win but neither did you or Hamilton, suck it :woo:
    Vettel seems like a natural heel. Funny that the only heel turn I wanted to see was Cena's, and surprisingly, we got Vettel turning heel instead.

Fernando wasn't a bad guy that year, he was just trolling Hamilton. It is pretty funny when you look back on his actions in a Mclaren. I think now, he's a tweener. He just cares about himself, but he's the ultimate professional now.

ReputationRep:
    What are the odds Caterham will finish the season with Ma Qing Hua and Narain Karthakayan driving for them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marc Fiorano)
    Statistics show that Thatcher's death should equal a Lotus win this weekend

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...ame=sportsNews
    That's weird.. I had been thinking that Lotus could win this GP, though my reasons were more realistic :P. With a dry race, and the Lotus being kinder on its tyres, we might see Kimi/Grosjean stop one less than the norm and potentially challenge for the win. Still, as always, predictions will usually depend on the long runs in practice.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone gonna watch practice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.