Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renn)
    Thanks a lot for sharing your views and experience! Your words have been very helpful despite saying you have limited experience. Congrats on your offer by the way! I think that’s quite amazing and somewhat lucky that you received the offer and interview despite your application being the least orientated. I suppose it definitely goes to show what a strong personal statement you had.

In my statement, after the introduction, I covered experiences (med student shadowing, hospital shadowing) then EC stuff (Bronze DofE, hockey & hobbies) and volunteering (school mentoring & hospice), gap year plans then a concluding paragraph. I thought I had spent plenty of time on my personal statement and followed the same advice by elaborating on those few skills and experiences rather than listing several but I guess it just wasn't good enough. I think I’ll definitely get a lot more people to have a look at my PS and spend more time on it.

I agree that securing a degree would probably be the safest option and I know I’d enjoy studying a science course so I’m sort of leaning towards it. I current hold offers for clinical sciences at Bradford and biomedical science at Sussex right now. Whilst they both offer transfer routes, one of my friends suggested I try apply to a better university, well one that is well known for being ‘good for sciences’, (higher on biosciences league table, better grad prospects and research etc) such as UCL, Imperial, Sheffield or Leicester (also offers a transfer route) so that I’ll have slightly better prospects with the degree alone. Do you think this is something worth considering? I thought Bradford would give me the highest chance of transfer but I don't think the degree on it's own is great. By the way did you always plan to apply for medicine after your degree?
    Hey!

No problem, I'm just glad I've been of help! =] Cheers! Have to say I've to thank a lot of people for my personal statement as I won't be able to write it as effective as I'd liked otherwise. Tbf, it wasn't an outstanding personal statement, but I guess maybe I luckily managed to "tick the boxes" with the admissions teams.

It's always great to get different people to check your PS but please don't feel it's not good enough (not saying that you do but just in case!). I'm sure you're nearly there (afterall, you've got invited to interview!), maybe you just need a bit more of something to make it shine. You can do it! =D

If you're definitely going to apply for grad medicine, I personally think it's fine whichever uni you do degree at the end of the day, most medical schools don't judge you by where you've got your degree from (except for places like Cambridge, while they don't specifically say so, so far no one's gotten into their GEP from a non-russell group uni, and most people who get in are from Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL).
    However to be safe, I think it's probably best to do your science degree at a top institution. Firstly, you'll have more opportunities to be involved in more cutting edge, top research. Ssecondly, you will graduate with a very well respected degree and have great employment prospects should you happen to want to try something out beside medicine. And of course, thirdly, doesn't pose you any doubts about which medical schools to apply to and stuff. xD

I've always wanted to do medicine, even before applying as a school-leaver (never did due to various factors, the top one being lack of insight into the medical profession - couldn't get any solid ones in time and didn't want to rush into it without a good understanding first). Though I never seriously considered it until second year at uni, when I slowly started to gather work experience, volunteered and realised I really like the nature of the work (i.e. the interpersonal aspects, communicating science to the public, the combination of science and the arts while you can really allow personal developments and etc).

Good luck! =D

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered looking at Access to Medicine, certain places like Sussex Downs, its a guaranteed interview through Linked partnership with the University of Sussex.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunate

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperskin)
    I'm very sorry for what happened but in the end it's all meant to be. Everything happens for a reason as you said. You could apply to similar courses through Extra and then take a master in Canada as the foreign students are very welcomed in there. You could have applied for an undergraduate program in Canada but I think the applications are over since two weeks. Or you could apply to foreign universities who still don't cost much and are very good such as Hacettepe University or Ankara University Medical School in Turkey. You also have Marmara University and Istanbul University. All of them offer internationally recognized degrees and have a very good ranking in the league table and a solid reputation (though I'm not sure if they are well regarded in the UK). Plus the tuition fee are not sky high if compared to Canada, the US or even the UK and the living expenses are cheaper than the UK and you'll get to learn about a new culture and live in a beautiful city . I think there are some medical universities who teach in English in Poland though I'm not sure. Just a question, have you always, since you where a child, wanted to do medicine? As for the parents issue, I'll advice you to know the next step and then tell them as you'll be focused on what to do next and not ''what should I do'' + the parent pressure. At the end, if your heart tells you to pursue the dream to become a doctor do it. Listen to your heart and you'll end up where you want to be. Hope I've helped and if you have questions about Turkey I'll gladly answer them!
    Hii I have some questions regarding hacettepe university Hope you can answer them.
    First of all, what's the university's ranking in Turkey and in the world? :/
    I'm planning on applying for medicine :3 and i heard that medicine is taught in english in hacettepe. How is the teaching staff? :/ if i get a medical degree in turkey, will it be accepted in the united states?
    Are there a lot of chinese/ korean/ japanese people in ankara? o.O and are there any in the uni? i'm asking this cuz i'm a chinese

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by immastudent)
    Hii I have some questions regarding hacettepe university Hope you can answer them.
    First of all, what's the university's ranking in Turkey and in the world? :/
    I'm planning on applying for medicine :3 and i heard that medicine is taught in english in hacettepe. How is the teaching staff? :/ if i get a medical degree in turkey, will it be accepted in the united states?
    Are there a lot of chinese/ korean/ japanese people in ankara? o.O and are there any in the uni? i'm asking this cuz i'm a chinese
    Didn't think that this thread would be active again. Well, the university ranks first in Turkey (for medical schools), if all the subject are comprised Hacettepe would always be in the top five/ten. The QS ranked it 285 in the world for medicine in 2010 the URAP ranked it 458 in 2013. Hacettepe is not as much accredited as other universities in Turkey. You'll always find Istanbul University, Bilkent, Kos, Middle East Technical university and Bogazici in all world rankings but not Hacettepe. The strength of Hacettepe comes from the faculty of medicine. If you're cautious about world ranking then Istanbul University or any other I've mentioned would be a better fit, though don't forget that Hacettepe is the best in medicine in Turkey (and that league tables are not always accurate).

All Turkish universities are supervised by the Higher Educational Council of Turkey which participate in the Bologna process so your diploma would be recognized by European countries. I can't give you more details as I'm only familiar with Bogazici and a degree from this university is accepted in the US. You should call the faculty of medicine here's their number: + 90 0 312 305 10 80 or send an email to [email protected] Though as there are some Americans in Hacettepe I'm guessing it's accepted in the US. But it's only a guess, contact the university to be sure.

I'm not familiar with the staff either sorry!

There's 1,500 students in 2012 coming from 83 countries, Japan, Korea and China are cited so they are definitely there, I couldn't say how much though. I'm guessing most international student would be from Western Europe, the Middle East and South East Asia. The Erasmus students are mostly from Germany, Poland, France, Belgium and Italy. There's a few hundred Chinese students who are enrolled in Turkish university, but again I'm not answering your question. Sorry, in short there are Chinese, Japanese and Koreans in the university but I don't know how much.

There are a lot of Chinese tourists, a few expatriates and Uyghur people who settled in Turkey. Again I can't give details as I've only been to Istanbul. Sorry that as a whole I'm only giving you half an answer. I could only answer questions about living in Turkey, how the people are like etc. Don't hesitate to PM if you have those kind of questions.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    If you truly believe medicine is your calling then it'll be your calling when the times right. So many your parents won't be happy about it but it's what you make of your gap year! I'm student nurses and some of the junior meds I work along side applies 4/5 times!!

so now you've got 10months till you re apply again. in these ten months!
    -get in touch with your local GP and see If you can shadow them.
    - get in touch with the Human resources from your local trust for some hospital work
    - try and get a job as a HSA (Heath service assistant) with your local trust

show that your making something of yourself in the gap year

make the most of it and very good luck! if your parents are supportive of you then even if they don't agree with your decision to take a gap year they'll still support you

best of luck x

edit: oops didn't see the date sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paperskin)
    Didn't think that this thread would be active again. Well, the university ranks first in Turkey (for medical schools), if all the subject are comprised Hacettepe would always be in the top five/ten. The QS ranked it 285 in the world for medicine in 2010 the URAP ranked it 458 in 2013. Hacettepe is not as much accredited as other universities in Turkey. You'll always find Istanbul University, Bilkent, Kos, Middle East Technical university and Bogazici in all world rankings but not Hacettepe. The strength of Hacettepe comes from the faculty of medicine. If you're cautious about world ranking then Istanbul University or any other I've mentioned would be a better fit, though don't forget that Hacettepe is the best in medicine in Turkey (and that league tables are not always accurate).

All Turkish universities are supervised by the Higher Educational Council of Turkey which participate in the Bologna process so your diploma would be recognized by European countries. I can't give you more details as I'm only familiar with Bogazici and a degree from this university is accepted in the US. You should call the faculty of medicine here's their number: + 90 0 312 305 10 80 or send an email to [email protected] Though as there are some Americans in Hacettepe I'm guessing it's accepted in the US. But it's only a guess, contact the university to be sure.

I'm not familiar with the staff either sorry!

There's 1,500 students in 2012 coming from 83 countries, Japan, Korea and China are cited so they are definitely there, I couldn't say how much though. I'm guessing most international student would be from Western Europe, the Middle East and South East Asia. The Erasmus students are mostly from Germany, Poland, France, Belgium and Italy. There's a few hundred Chinese students who are enrolled in Turkish university, but again I'm not answering your question. Sorry, in short there are Chinese, Japanese and Koreans in the university but I don't know how much.

There are a lot of Chinese tourists, a few expatriates and Uyghur people who settled in Turkey. Again I can't give details as I've only been to Istanbul. Sorry that as a whole I'm only giving you half an answer. I could only answer questions about living in Turkey, how the people are like etc. Don't hesitate to PM if you have those kind of questions.

Hope this helps!
    Hahaha thank you so much!
    how do you know that there are 1500 students from 83 countries? o.O Did you see that in a website? If yes, then can you give me the link?
    I thought about istanbul university. i wanted to apply but i heard that you had to give a medical entrance exam to get in :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by immastudent)
    Hahaha thank you so much!
    how do you know that there are 1500 students from 83 countries? o.O Did you see that in a website? If yes, then can you give me the link?
    I thought about istanbul university. i wanted to apply but i heard that you had to give a medical entrance exam to get in :/
    You're welcome! Sorry to respond now (I was on a trip). Yes I've read it somewhere. Here's the link: http://www.int.hacettepe.edu.tr/pdf/page4.pdf

Medical entrance exam? Well I have no idea as it's so hard to know which university you can get into without a test/with a test as an international student in Turkey. (a few years ago you had to take the exams to get to any uni in Turkey). Plus the websites of the universities are quite elusive most of the time. You should call Istanbul uni, Hacettepe and Kos uni (Kos is really good in medicine, think about it). Otherwise it will be difficult to get any info. In terms of living I'll choose Istanbul over Ankara as it's more historical and international. Though Ankara is a really good student city.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.