Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was slightly disappointed too, but if you look at it more as a short story rather than a novel it gives it more justice.

I think that it was too brief to give Gatsby his full, well deserved magnificence as a character, and it didn't give enough time to fully comprehend and mourn his death. On the other hand, it showed how young he was when he died, and how short and unfulfilling his life was as a whole and how others treated him unfairly and didn't give him the justice he deserved.

In a way we are made to see Gatsby in the eyes of all the other characters EXCEPT Nick, even though this was seemingly not the intention. Whether or not this is effective is a different question.

Personally, despite my disappointment at first, I couldn't stop thinking about the book way after I finished reading the last page. It makes you wonder, and perhaps this puzzlement of the reader is what gives Gatsby his true glory.

You think about how much of a shame it is that his life was so short and we never really got to understand fully the details of his past. Maybe that was the intention. We are forced to feel the sense of loss and incompleteness. This is what gives the author power over the reader and shows the effectiveness of his writing. Different people will be affected in different ways. Personally I was moved by this book. Gatsby remains 'Great' in my imagination even though in the book he was perhaps 'Mediocre'.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.