Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who's more picky, boys or girls? Watch

(Original post by Dami_O)
    Haha. You're funny.

Seems like everyone's just repeating the OP's hypothesis that guys have a more 'give her a chance approach' whereas girls seem to know straight away whether a guy is relationship material.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It wasn't a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I have a few niggles with this thread, there are some things I'd like to see put right.
    Can you categorically confirm or deny that you are most displeased by this topic of discourse?

ReputationRep:
    In my own view, superstar sort of girls that cake themselves in makeup, would be the sort of girls, if i was single, would go out and have fun with. However when it comes to girlfriends and thinking about futures etc, smartness, intelligence and personality override looks by alot, but the thing is, if a girl had all those tendencies id probably find her beautiful regardless.

You know, the type of girl you can walk down the street with, and not every guys gonna check her out.

All in all, pretty picky, but it depends on the person more than gender.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    Can you categorically confirm or deny that you are most displeased by this topic of discourse?
    I don't know... there are a few things that just don't feel right... it's kind of a vague niggle, but could they be corrected?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I don't know... there are a few things that just don't feel right... it's kind of a vague niggle, but could they be corrected?
    Well, that certainly helps to clear up the confusion caused by your first post :P

I'd say I'm pretty picky; I don't actively look for anything in particular, but before I shack up with anyone I have to get a gut feeling that she's a good person. I know that's also pretty vague, but it's the best I can do. Intelligence helps too; I'm not 100% certain but I think I'm sapiosexual.

Well, actually, thinking about it, the girls I've been in relationships with/been interested in a relationship with are girls that I've known for a while so I've had more time to formulate the gut feeling than the girls I've just had a ONS with; but I've still had to have that warm fuzzy feeling first. I've had people hit on me a couple of times who are perfectly physically attractive but I've had no warm and fuzzy from them, and so turned them down, but I've also had ONSs with completely unremarkable women who I just kind of knew were decent people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tu_es_jolie_x)
    Boys are for sure. Boys aren't that fussy when it comes to like ONS and FB but in terms of relationships I would say boys are.
    this is true..when we want a relationship, we won't just go for anyone - she has to be something quite special.

but then again - girls are exactly the same. They won't go for just anyone either, except the girls who can't emotionally survive on their own for 24hrs: serial relationship seekers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    It wasn't a joke.
    Not sure how you've come to that conclusion though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Girls are more picky overall. As everyone has been saying, when it comes to just sex girls are way more picky. But for relationships guys just slightly edge it, it however still means that overall girls are more picky.

And disregarding all that, I'm sure we've all heard of that super hot girl that gets attention from a ton of guys (they aren't all douchebags, some of the men could be quite impressive) but she'd still rather remain single as none of them meet her criteria. I'm not saying this never happens for guys I just think it happens way less.

ReputationRep:
    I agree entirely that, initially, females (going David Attenborough style here) are more selective when it comes to choosing partners. And they can afford to be. Generally, most competition for a partner is between males, who are naturally more competitive. Females are more likely to be approached by a prospective male partner than the reverse, and this is generally known and expected within society. It is therefore easier for females to take their time in choosing the ideal partner, whereas males are happier to take what they can get, especially if this means sex. However, if a relationship does ensue, I also agree that males will start to show their more selective side, particularly in regards to personality as apposed to sexual attraction. They've landed a partner, but what now? It's now that many males realise they aren't actually well-suited to their partners, and become more distant (as you described), which usually signals the dissolution of the relationship as the couple struggle to maintain common feelings.

ReputationRep:
    Biologically girls are more picky because they have to carry the child and spend longer with it atleast 9 months whereas the guy can just f**** off straight away and just go round making babies so the girl needs to make sure she gets the right guy. Evolutionary psychology

I disagree they are reasons though I'd say girls with one night stands by far more picky. With relationships say about even

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm quite unique - I think I'm probably a lot more picky than anyone else on the planet. In fact, I'm so picky that the chances are that I'll never have a romantic relationship. I'm not bothered by that thought in the slightest, in fact I'm quite happy to be alone as I've never known anything different. Being alone allows me to be the person I want to be, I don't have to concern myself with trying to fit in or trying to do whatever I think will increase my odds of getting a girlfriend. I'll just carry on treating every living being with love and compassion and if one day, a girl who shares my philosophies, dreams and ambitions comes along, then great, we can work together and share life's adventure! If not, that's great too because it means I can dedicate my life to something more worthwhile and meaningful (as in, affecting more than just 1/2 individuals), although I haven't quite figured out what yet. But I have no interest in being intimate with someone who isn't soul-mate material.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.