Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever been insulted about your looks? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been told I have 'horrible' or 'scary' eyes more than once (they're very dark). I also have pretty prominent pointy incisors, which led to kids at school nicknaming me 'vamp' and also to me being voted as 'most likely to become a serial killer' in my school year book. Fairly minor and benign stuff really, but it did give me a bit of a complex for a while.

ReputationRep:
    - I was really overweight as a kid. I was bullied from 10-15.
    - I became anorexic and they still called me fat. When my mate pointed out that I was skinnier than all of them, they called me an anorexic rat.

Then the people that bullied me started fancying me -- I was approached by a few in a club because they didn't recognise me. I rejected them and told them my name, they couldn't believe they just got rejected by Killer Whale.

- My ex boyfriend said I looked ugly with short hair.
    - I shaved my head at the beginning of this year. Now, a lot of people say I'm very attractive, but I went to a club and I had a group of 4 blokes laugh at my hair.

ReputationRep:
    I used to get called E.T. at school because apparently I looked like an alien

Hopefully I don't any more

ReputationRep:
    I've been told numerous things which have knocked my confidence.

- People used to comment how my hair was thin and dead, which led to a complex that my hair was horrible.
    - Someone called me 'big nose' once and that I looked like a pig. That sure made me feel great...
    - My ex said I had saggy boobs and that they ''needed work''.

I don't dwell on them so much now but they're still the three body parts that I hate the most.

ReputationRep:
    I am sure Samantha Brick would claim her good looks get her insulted! http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/ar...beautiful.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by civilstudent)
    Girls and guys, have you ever been or felt insulted by others about your looks which has perhaps dented your confidence? Like maybe someone said you had a big nose, you look old, you have horrible eyes etc.

Tell us some times about when (if ever) you have been insulted?

If you havent been insulted then say so.

Just thought it would be interesting and might help others who have gone through similar.

I'l start. Heres what I can think up at the moment.

-I was rated the least attractive girl in class at college for some facial attractiveness/biology topic.

-A 30 odd year old man I went on a few dates with then broke up with told his mates that he was worried about getting any girl as he couldnt even get the ugliest of girls (meaning me).

Its not a direct insult as such but Ive never had a proper relationship and guys never approach me which i find insulting/lowers confidence.
    It wasn't really insults but among other things people use to make fun of my weight until when I was 14 as I became thinner and better looking. Though it still affects my confidence :/ And if guys don't approach you because of your looks just don't give a damn about them. People should love you for who you are not how you look. Most relationships are doomed if they are based on ''your attractive, I'm attractive so let's get together'' or ''wow she's hot, lets do her''. Believe me you don't want to be in a relationship because of your looks. A guy who can see past the looks is the one worth being with. A proper relationship begins with a spark, mutual understanding, attraction to one's personality or physique. But at the end we fall in love for who people are=personality, soul etc. Plus beauty is relative and there's something beautiful in all our faces/bodies. Some ethnic groups find overweight women beautiful or in the Forbidden City in Imperial China a women's foot had to be small so that she could walk gracefully.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. It was a constant in school from around age 11 to 16. The comments were mostly on my face. I hated how I looked to the point where I grew out my hair to cover my face when I was 14, just so other people couldn't look at me - then my history teacher would yell at me because she couldn't see my face. Now I'm plenty happy with how I look, so I don't know why I let others convince me otherwise back then.

If people target me on my looks nowadays it's usually an anorexia/bulimia joke, and I've heard them for around eight years (just for the record, no, I don't have an ED) so they don't effect me.

ReputationRep:
    When I was younger alot of other kids used to pick on me because of my eye colour. I have sectoral heterochromia (eyes not all one colour) and because they hasn't seen anyone else with it they used to call me things like 'witch'. It didn't really last very LNG, they soon moved onto the next kid to pick on them. It did dent my confidence but I'm fine now. I kinda like how my eyes are a bit different

ReputationRep:
    I've had a strange one, shouted to me by a girl on the other side of the road.

"He's got a bit of a bum-chin... he's fit though..." :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I used to be quite large (I have small frame naturally) and so obviously people make fun of me for it. It absolutely crushed my self confidence, even 7 years on. Now these days I'm borderline making myself ill with a little good/daily exercise regime and my thoughts are consumed with constantly comparing myself to other people. Needless to say, my friendships suffered a little but my relationships are the worst things ever. I cannot bring myself to think that I would be good enough for someone, even while seeing them. It's horrible haha, people can be so cruel as kids.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyMilly)
    Ive got an underdevloped optic nerve in my left eye and as a result in turns in slightly i think its by 1 mm but its clearly noticable especially when im tired, stressed or upset.

Ive had people laugh point at me, talk about it behind my back a girl at uni told me that if she had something as embarssing as I do she wouldnt show her face until it had been operated on. I went through lifve without many people ever commenting on it, until i went to uni when the people have been cruel and vile. They dont think about what they say they say things like 'oh you look like the russell howard guy he has a funny eye too' or 'why are you crossed eyed' ' why is your eye wonky' 'cant you get that fixed'

Or the worse thing has been when people talk about it behind my back they laugh about it and of course it gets back to me people who cant remeber me refer to me as the girl with the wonky eye

I wish people would just come up and ask me about it as its not a lazy eye, i cant have it operated on theres a 80% risk if i do i will go blind in both my eyes, people just dont realise how hurtful what they say is.

Ive also been taken the piss out for my height (5ft11) or my chubby cheeks or being to fat or to skinny
    You have a nice height I'm 5ft 2 lol

ReputationRep:
    Try having no eyebrows or eyelashes. That was fun in primary school before makeup, you wouldn't believe some of the comments made by teachers, friends parents, strangers, older kids who would point etc. It's not so bad now thanks to eyebrow pencil and eyeliner, which I started wearing when I was twelve, people don't really notice now.

ReputationRep:
    I have naturally dark circles around my eyes and I often get commented on them.

ReputationRep:
    i used to be fat when i was in secondary and sixthform.... so what do you think?

i dont get much comments about that now but my friends do bring up the bags in my eyes and that i look like crap...

(Original post by SannaS)
    You have a nice height I'm 5ft 2 lol
    see id love to be 5ft2 you can wear heels!!

ReputationRep:
    I had never been worried about my nose until one day this person on the bus told me i have a larger than average nose, comparing me to my sisters. No matter how many people say 'its not big' that one persons comment always sticks in my mind.

ReputationRep:
    You can be a model.... And tall girls look really nice in heels! Love yourself woman your beautiful

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I get picked on for my height (I'm 5' 3" barefoot at 17, hence I'm the shortest guy in my year at school.) but I don't let it get to me.

ReputationRep:
    Intriguingly, in year 7-8 I was called a swat, geek, bookworm and pussy among others. Weirdly, the tables have turned as they get U's in their GCSE exams. Moral of the story- he who laughs last, laughs best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SannaS)
    You can be a model.... And tall girls look really nice in heels! Love yourself woman your beautiful
    How is this relevant to the thread?

edit: I see why, you forgot to quote

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.