Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I haven't used shampoo for almost a month now...
    I don't actually see any pros or cons so far.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katehlouise)
    Lush shampoos do have the same ingredients as normal shampoos. That's why I haven't tried them. Would be tempted to try that bar up there though!

I used naked/naked kids mainly and that's not too expensive. Same as normal shampoos. There's usually an offer on in boots too.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    oo, I'm going to have to have a look out for naked shampoos. I don't think I've seen them before.

Also if that's you in your photo your curly hair looks amazing!
    My hair has always been somewhere between straight and curly but after giving up the SLS it's getting a lot more curly and less flat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshPetite)
    I'm just about to order the rosemary and tea tree one - it sounds nice my flatmate just suggested the Lush ones - do you know if they are any good?
    Also you've got to let me know how the rosemary and tea tree one works out! I'm either going to try that or the ylang ylang and cedarwood one next

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    Also you've got to let me know how the rosemary and tea tree one works out! I'm either going to try that or the ylang ylang and cedarwood one next
    Definitely! I can't wait for it to come! I just bought some argan oil conditioner too.. It's not amazing, but then again it was only £1 haha. I think I'll grab some apple cider vinegar in the week and see how that works out :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I haven't used shampoo for almost a month now...
    I don't actually see any pros or cons so far.
    Oh right, most of the people online absolutely rave about it.. What is your routine?

ReputationRep:
    Oh right, most of the people online absolutely rave about it.. What is your routine?
    I'm not sure what you mean by routine but I shower every morning

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bude8)
    I'm not sure what you mean by routine but I shower every morning
    I mean do you use anything on your hair or nothing at all? Some people who are shampoo free still use bicarb of soda and apple cider vinegar, for example..

ReputationRep:
    I mean do you use anything on your hair or nothing at all? Some people who are shampoo free still use bicarb of soda and apple cider vinegar, for example..
    Oh, nope, just water

ReputationRep:
    My hair seems to have finished adjusting itself now.
    For the first couple of times after I used a shampoo bar then rinsed it with apple cider vinegar the ends were a bit sticky. I've heard that it can sometimes be all the silicones from normal shampoo and conditioners being washed out of your hair.
    Now after I washed it today the stickiness is totally gone. Also I can't believe how shiny my hair is for having not used conditioner.

Definitely going to stick with this, so much cheaper and better than normal shampoo and conditioner.

Just to mention that the vinegar smell was starting to bother me a bit, but today I diluted it more and rinsed it out for longer so I don't smell like salad dressing anymore

ReputationRep:
    Is your hair curly, wavy or straight? That makes a difference.

I barely use shampoo, but I wash my hair with conditioner daily. I have curly hair, and the daily conditioning keeps my hair moisturised while the lack of shampoo stops it from getting dry. Conditioner contains mild surfacants so is sufficient for getting the hair clean.

If you want more information on going no-poo, water only or cowashing, I would have a browse of longhaircommunity.com and/or join up and post a thread.

ReputationRep:
    I have slightly wavey hair down to my waist. I wash on average twice a week, 90% of the time I only use conditioner. Hair doesn't really get oily or greasy.

People should just ignore popular ideas about what you 'should' do with hair and do whatever works for them.

ReputationRep:
    My hair seems to have finished adjusting itself now.
    For the first couple of times after I used a shampoo bar then rinsed it with apple cider vinegar the ends were a bit sticky. I've heard that it can sometimes be all the silicones from normal shampoo and conditioners being washed out of your hair.
    Now after I washed it today the stickiness is totally gone. Also I can't believe how shiny my hair is for having not used conditioner.

Definitely going to stick with this, so much cheaper and better than normal shampoo and conditioner.

Just to mention that the vinegar smell was starting to bother me a bit, but today I diluted it more and rinsed it out for longer so I don't smell like salad dressing anymore
    I'm still waiting for my shampoo bar to come, I'm getting way too excited haha! So glad to hear that it's working out how do you apply the vinegar to your hair? Just pour the solution on or use a spray bottle? I've just had to order some vinegar because I couldn't find any in town today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulMidwife)
    Is your hair curly, wavy or straight? That makes a difference.

I barely use shampoo, but I wash my hair with conditioner daily. I have curly hair, and the daily conditioning keeps my hair moisturised while the lack of shampoo stops it from getting dry. Conditioner contains mild surfacants so is sufficient for getting the hair clean.

If you want more information on going no-poo, water only or cowashing, I would have a browse of longhaircommunity.com and/or join up and post a thread.
    It kind of likes to do whatever it wants to be honest ha.. It used to be curly when I was younger, then it got wavy and frizzy in my teans. Sometimes it curls, sometimes it waves and sometimes it just goes frizzy and straight. I read that using SLS and paraben free products take away the frizz and tend to give people more curls, so I'm hoping that using them, then I'll be happy with leaving my hair to dry naturally.

Thanks for the information, I'll have a look on that site has that always been your hair routine? If not, then how did you come to decide on your routine? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just really curious!

ReputationRep:
    I'm just about to order the rosemary and tea tree one - it sounds nice my flatmate just suggested the Lush ones - do you know if they are any good?
    OMG Lush shampoo bars are amazing!

The Godiva one is the least drying. Beware that using them can make your hair/scalp dry and itchy because you don't realise at first just how little you need to use. I just rub it over my parting in my hair once whilst hair is wet. Lasts ages, no packaging, and smells lovely!

I wish I could go shampoo free but I'm just addicted to the Lush bars!

ReputationRep:
    Over the last few years, I've heard a few mentions of going 'poo-free'...
    You scared me there for a moment. Not having looked at the thread title, 'poo' requires some explanation :P

ReputationRep:
    It kind of likes to do whatever it wants to be honest ha.. It used to be curly when I was younger, then it got wavy and frizzy in my teans. Sometimes it curls, sometimes it waves and sometimes it just goes frizzy and straight. I read that using SLS and paraben free products take away the frizz and tend to give people more curls, so I'm hoping that using them, then I'll be happy with leaving my hair to dry naturally.

Thanks for the information, I'll have a look on that site has that always been your hair routine? If not, then how did you come to decide on your routine? Sorry for all of the questions, I'm just really curious!
    Yeah, that's definitely been my experience! I even remember at some point using shampoo on a regular basis and, within a week or two, my hair started to get dry, frizzy and unmanageable.

Remember, regular/too high heat makes hair frizzy and dry too.

You're much welcome! My hair was in REALLY bad condition before. I had major heat damage, damage from dye and it was a mess. I can upload some pics later, if you like! I decided to go natural and treat my hair better because I was tired of how horrible it looked and wanted my childhood curls back. I also want to grow my hair really long, and it wasn't happening before. My hair was growing (and it grows really fast) but it was so damaged I kept cutting it off. I cut my hair to about 1-1 and a half inches about twice in my life, but still kept on damaging it. As a result, my hair has never really been more than armpit length (stretched/straightened. With shrinkage, it's a lot shorter). Now, it's bra strap length straight/stretched and getting just over shoulder length curly and healthy​.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still waiting for my shampoo bar to come, I'm getting way too excited haha! So glad to hear that it's working out how do you apply the vinegar to your hair? Just pour the solution on or use a spray bottle? I've just had to order some vinegar because I couldn't find any in town today.
    Really? Mine came super quickly.

I put a a splash of the vinegar in an old shampoo bottle that I washed out, then fill the rest up with water. Then when I'm in the shower I squirt it over my head and leave it on for a couple of minutes. Some people don't rinse it out but I couldn't cope with the smell.
    Do you not have a supermarket? It's normally pretty easy to find.

My hair is so curly it's driving my mum mad haha. Every time I come back from uni she begs me to let her brush or straighten my hair
    I love having really big textured hair, the main video that convinced me to try shampoo bars was this one:

Her hair is so big!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulMidwife)
    Yeah, that's definitely been my experience! I even remember at some point using shampoo on a regular basis and, within a week or two, my hair started to get dry, frizzy and unmanageable.

Remember, regular/too high heat makes hair frizzy and dry too.

You're much welcome! My hair was in REALLY bad condition before. I hate major heat damage, damage from dye and it was a mess. I can upload some pics later, if you like! I decided to go natural and treat my hair better because I was tired of how horrible it looked and wanted my childhood curls back. I also want to grow my hair really long, and it wasn't happening before. My hair was growing (and it grows really fast) but it was so damaged I kept cutting it off. I cut my hair to about 1-1 and a half inches about twice in my life, but still kept on damaging it. As a result, my hair has never really been more than armpit length (stretched/straightened. With shrinkage, it's a lot shorter). Now, it's bra strap length straight/stretched and getting just over shoulder length curly and healthy​.
    Wow, all of the stories that I've read have been so positive about going shampoo free you sound a lot like me in that respect, I can't grow my hair much longer because it just keeps getting damaged. I think that, like you, I'll be able to grow it if I like the way my hair looks naturally so that I don't feel like I need to use the straighteners all of the time.

And yeah that would be great if you could put some pictures up, if you don't mind

ReputationRep:
    Really? Mine came super quickly.

I put a a splash of the vinegar in an old shampoo bottle that I washed out, then fill the rest up with water. Then when I'm in the shower I squirt it over my head and leave it on for a couple of minutes. Some people don't rinse it out but I couldn't cope with the smell.
    Do you not have a supermarket? It's normally pretty easy to find.

My hair is so curly it's driving my mum mad haha. Every time I come back from uni she begs me to let her brush or straighten my hair
    I love having really big textured hair, the main video that convinced me to try shampoo bars was this one:

Her hair is so big!
    I watched that video yesterday! I don't think that I could go a week without brushing my hair, but she convinced me a little more too!
    Ah right, ok. I picked up a spray bottle for £1 today but if it doesn't work then I'll just rinse There aren't any supermarkets within walking distance apart from Aldi, but I remembered that there is a health shop in the market before I actually placed the order online and picked up a 500ml bottle for £1.79

ReputationRep:
    I watched that video yesterday! I don't think that I could go a week without brushing my hair, but she convinced me a little more too!
    Ah right, ok. I picked up a spray bottle for £1 today but if it doesn't work then I'll just rinse There aren't any supermarkets within walking distance apart from Aldi, but I remembered that there is a health shop in the market before I actually placed the order online and picked up a 500ml bottle for £1.79
    I don't think I could go a week without washing my hair either. I used to wash it every day but have managed to cut down to every other day. I'm hoping that switching to shampoo bars will let me go longer without washing it.

I only tend to brush it every other day before I get in the shower (sometimes I give the front a quick brush). If I brush it properly when it's dry it tends to go a bit fluffy and frizzy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.