Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=zed963;42138418]I've done the edexcel maths GCSE in November and to be honest it wasn't too bad. I came out with a good grade as well. If you need any help let me know. I've done spec b as well but I switched to spec a so that the probability of getting an A* was greater.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QU

okay thank youuu
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    [QUOTE=npba;42138419]
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND FOR GOD SAKE. ok calming the capslock key down seriously listen.

Your teacher is making you do the foundation paper this year, you do that you get a C, you do the higher version of that paper next year and get an A what is there not to understand? you can't have a mix of foundation and higher on the linear paper.

So basically this year, non calc and calculator foundation option F linear

next year, non calc and calculator higher option F linear[/QUOoh

okay i get it now thank you but will this exam go towards my fina;l grade ?
    For the linear version all you do is two papers and that's it. You've finished maths and you get a final grade which sticks with for the rest of your life unless you decide to re sit it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by npba)

m
    If you get an A in higher, no, your higher tier exam grade overrides your foundation one

ReputationRep:
    Basically, you're final grade will be the best grade you got in 1 of the exams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgelewiss)
    You will do foundation calculator paper and then foundation non calculator paper.
    Say you get a C, they will then put you in for higher next year, where you will sit higher calculator and higher non calculator.
    Say you get a D on the higher papers, you will still have a C in maths as they don't total up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thank you i totally get it now which revision guide would you recommend

ReputationRep:
    If you get an A in higher, no, your higher tier exam grade overrides your foundation one
    oh right which revision guide would you recommend ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by npba)
    No idea for GCSE. I'd recommend when you learn the content doing past papers as they certainly help, CGP might be a good guide for gcse maths, I used it and it was useful

ReputationRep:
    No idea for GCSE. I'd recommend when you learn the content doing past papers as they certainly help, CGP might be a good guide for gcse maths, I used it and it was useful
    thank you robbie really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by npba)
    thank you robbie really appreciate it
    No problem, good luck! and if you have a chance to higher and your willing to work for it then I'd try to convince them to enter you this year but if not its fine !

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure that which spec you do doesn't matter. I'm not sure about Edexcel, but for AQA exams if you either spec for any subject the certificate will not say the specification, it will just say 'Mathematics' and not 'Mathematics A' or 'Mathematics B'

If anyone can tell me if it comes up on the certificate it would greatly be appreciated. My school does specification A so I'm not that bothered but still.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by npba)
    You seem to have sorted out the question re Foundation and Higher.
    The revision guides and workbooks I recommend for Edexcel are these:
    Foundation
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Revi.../9781446900178
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Revi.../9781446900147
    Higher
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Revi.../9781446900185
    http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Revi.../9781446900154

CGP ones are also OK.

If your school is getting MatchsWatch CDs then I'd strongly recommend you get one of those instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by npba)
    but i am doing mathematics A (linear) calculator and no calculator this year and my teacher says i will be doing the higher paper next year ????
    my friend had that as well your school is only seeing if you can cope with it as long as you get a c you will be moved up to the higher exam for when you come to the actual

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikhil1998)
    my friend had that as well your school is only seeing if you can cope with it as long as you get a c you will be moved up to the higher exam for when you come to the actual
    lol this was a year ago i think. im sitting the higher paper on monday non calculator and the calculator that same week

ReputationRep:
    Hi can u tell me if there is any difference between modular and linear books because I got the modular one by mistake online when my school does linear
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JJSinha)
    Hi can u tell me if there is any difference between modular and linear books because I got the modular one by mistake online when my school does linear
    It has the same content in a different order.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.