Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

"Scon" or "Scone"? Watch

• View Poll Results: "Scon" or "Scone"?
    Scon
    45.10%
    Scone
    54.90%

ReputationRep:
    I say "scon" and so does everyone i know really, maybe more of a scottish thing? "scone" sounds better with an english accent

ReputationRep:
    The best thing about the English language is that it doesn't make any sense. To people who rope 'gone' and 'cone' into their arguments, I say remember 'cough', 'plough', 'through', 'though', 'thorough', and 'bough'. I vote scon because it's nonsense!

ReputationRep:
    Scone all the way!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    The best thing about the English language is that it doesn't make any sense. To people who rope 'gone' and 'cone' into their arguments, I say remember 'cough', 'plough', 'through', 'though', 'thorough', and 'bough'. I vote scon because it's nonsense!
    'bough' - hah, I don't even know how to pronounce that! I feel sorry for anyone learning English!

ReputationRep:
    SCON. :stomp:

Though i don't have a liking for them. :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    You could argue for both ways: Do you pronounce it like cone or gone?

ReputationRep:
    Which way is supposed to be the posh way? I always used to assume 'scon' was the posh way because everyone from where I'm from says 'scone' but I've then I've heard people in Yorkshire and Cornwall claim 'scone' is the posh one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    'bough' - hah, I don't even know how to pronounce that! I feel sorry for anyone learning English!
    Apparently it's pretty difficult, it's a wonder so many people bother!
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by deedee123)
    I say "scon" and so does everyone i know really, maybe more of a scottish thing? "scone" sounds better with an english accent
    Haha same. I say scon and I think most people up here do. Except my dad. But he's English. :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Scon

Strawberry Jam with Whipped Cream

yum yum yum. this topic is making me hungry:tong:

ReputationRep:
    O-N-E is pronounced "won"

Therefore adding S-C to the beginning means that the word "scone" should be pronounced "Squon."

Discussion is over.

ReputationRep:
    Scon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dotty_but_good)
    I read that as Scon or Scon, was wondering why it was a question until I remembered people use the other pronunciation.

But the bigger question as far as I am concerned is jam or cream first?
    CREAM! That shouldn't even be a question!

ReputationRep:
    Scone is for the nouveau riche.
    Its scon, for proper posh people and those (such as myself) who aren't posh alike!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotMyToothbrush)
    I'm not going to mention the fact that one of the options involves having to spell the word differently

How do you think it should be said?

Obviously, I opt for "Scone".
    I was always told when you are eating them - they are scone and when you have eaten them they are scon!!

IMO it should be scon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DavidH20)
    O-N-E is pronounced "won"

Therefore adding S-C to the beginning means that the word "scone" should be pronounced "Squon."

Discussion is over.
    Yes, because English has no abstract rules, so if one word is pronounced one way, all other words which look similar must also be pronounced the same way.
    /sarcasm

ReputationRep:
    I'm a Northerner so it's scon for me.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    It's 100% meant to be pronounced Scone, and anyone saying it otherwise is just saying it wrong.

I say Scon anyway though, because I like to make a terrible joke about it being so good that by the time you've said the word it s'gone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rybee)
    Bough, pronounced like bow (either bow and arrow or as in take a bow) lol

ReputationRep:
    I guess if it was really going to be pronounced like as 'Scon' it should have two "n's" in it's spelling.

Having it spelled 'Scone' to me means that it should be pronounced as 'Sc-own'.

But I pronounce it 'Scon', (I think) because the pronounciation of the word as 'Scown' is a bit of an American Stereotype of an upper-class Brit and it's just the way I've been brought up to say it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 11, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.