Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    are u first or second year? Aim for distinctions in your assignments then - in which case if.medicine is what u want start preparing for it now - sounds a bit Ott but unfortunately 'alternativ' applicants for medicine need that little bit extra so any hospital/clinic/care experiance will really help out - volunteering is also a huge thing.which will get you noticed!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see what you mean! I have work experience next month for a week in my local hospital which will be good to put on my UCAS statement. I am trying to get distinctions, I'm aiming for atleast merits!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am a first year student as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Indication of what I did (this was over the 4 years ive been in uni)

part time mental health and learning disability clinical support worker - including community

study abroad year in Singapore - through this i did a lot of international support for the university and traveled around south east Asia - i got asked a lot about this in interviews!

volunteering through university societies - nightline, bone marrow donation counsellor, sexpression workshop facilitator

College convenor and class representative for student representative council

1 weeks work experiance at north staffordshire hospital central treatment suite

Yeah deffo aim for distinctions Anything sports related is also a real plus! and qhen u come to applying focus on the skills youve learnt from your experiances rather than listing them, theyll want to see insight!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i did this in the time i was at university because i didnt know i wanted medicine until i worked in mental health and was already doing my degree! So that gives you more time as well

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatonethere)
    Indication of what I did (this was over the 4 years ive been in uni)

part time mental health and learning disability clinical support worker - including community

study abroad year in Singapore - through this i did a lot of international support for the university and traveled around south east Asia - i got asked a lot about this in interviews!

volunteering through university societies - nightline, bone marrow donation counsellor, sexpression workshop facilitator

College convenor and class representative for student representative council

1 weeks work experiance at north staffordshire hospital central treatment suite

Yeah deffo aim for distinctions Anything sports related is also a real plus! and qhen u come to applying focus on the skills youve learnt from your experiances rather than listing them, theyll want to see insight!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wow you did a lot! At college I'm an ambassador, class rep, student researcher, in the football team, athletics team, I study Italian and Spanish at NVQ level etc. is that enough for now?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    that sounds a really good start anything representative based is always favourably looked upon as well as sports and volunteering - anything after that is a bonus!

btw if u want more hospital work experiance try and get it now - i found it quite difficult to get it as a graduate!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Once I complete my work experience how can I get another placement?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As daft/obvious as it sounds do an hour or so research on the internet and email the appropriate person at local hospitals! Also try smaller clinics,gp surgerys, charities (hospices are a really unique oppertunity however appreciate that a lot of sensitivity is required if u go to any) and anywhere that does community or care work - often if you find really unique oppertunities it makes you stand out more!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I have emailed haven house children's hospice for volunteering and tomorrow I am going to my local pharmacy to ask for work experience. I'm hoping it all goes well!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you are really wanting to do Medicine, your best bet is to apply for a course involving medical science (E.g. Biomedical Sciences/Bioengineering) and apply for Medicine as a Graduate student.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.