Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've just inherited a large sum of money so the world is my oyster this summer. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by someonesomewherexx)
    Are you Nigerian?
    Yep :smug:

Hope OP comes back ok. :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spontogical)
    Go to Nigeria.
    If I was part of a large group of males/females I would love to go. Some how I imagine me wondering around Nigeria is a recipe for a disaster.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annuhlees)
    If I was part of a large group of males/females I would love to go. Some how I imagine me wondering around Nigeria is a recipe for a disaster.
    Check out meh reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Enough to buy a subscription with TSR?
    Does anyone have that much money?

ReputationRep:
    Just buy a baby elephant and have it as a pet, a few of my mates have had them and apparently they dont need much care

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grammar12)
    Dont go backpacking! Go round asia as you suggested but stay in hotels, People say you learn so much about an area by backpacking, but honestly. You don't. A good quality nights sleep is what you want when going to see the sights and walking for hours each day. I'd personally recommend the trans-mongolian railway, you can see russia, Mongolia and then finish the train ride in Beijing (it is also extremely safe on the trans-mongolian railway). From here, you can go to any area of asia that you like. Thailand is ok, but the danger of rape is fairly high (Im not going to sugar coat it) i'd stay to large cities or places where there are police forces. Although you may not have considered it, I would highly recommend Japan for an all round way of seeing Asia. There is so much culture, so much diversity and just everything to do. I could stay in Japan for years if i was rich enough, you would never get bored. EVER! There is an excellent safari in Japan called Fuji safari park. I would highly recommend this too, it is so fantastic for people who want to get up close to elephants, they have african as well as asian elephants. They are really well looked after, with really nice habitats that match where they come from. You can see the new areas of japan in Tokyo, you can see the beautiful countryside near mount fuji, ancient ruins, temples and loads of other things. Basically, japan is amazing and i wouldn't give up the opportunity to visit there, for an all round view of Asia, japan is perfect
    I really want to backpack, the whole idea of backpacking appeals to me as i'm the kind of girl who has a thousand friendship bracelets around my wrist and one day dreams about living with Elephants. I have the nick name 'Hippy' for a reason :P

I never really thought about Japan, it would be awesome to go! Is language an issue as I can't speak any other languages (i'm disabled at learning French let alone a language like that!)

I've been to some pretty amazing zoos in North-America but I don't want to see animals like that. I want to see them in their natural environment doing what they normally do :P

Thanks again for your advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calm down)
    Just buy a baby elephant and have it as a pet, a few of my mates have had them and apparently they dont need much care
    What happens when a baby elephant turns into an fully grown elephant? I can imagine trying to squeeze an elephant into halls!

Only if I could have a pet elephant :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SebMurphy)
    What do you gain with a subscription to TSR?! Hahaha

ReputationRep:
    Dont go backpacking! Go round asia as you suggested but stay in hotels, People say you learn so much about an area by backpacking, but honestly. You don't. A good quality nights sleep is what you want when going to see the sights and walking for hours each day. I'd personally recommend the trans-mongolian railway, you can see russia, Mongolia and then finish the train ride in Beijing (it is also extremely safe on the trans-mongolian railway). From here, you can go to any area of asia that you like. Thailand is ok, but the danger of rape is fairly high (Im not going to sugar coat it) i'd stay to large cities or places where there are police forces. Although you may not have considered it, I would highly recommend Japan for an all round way of seeing Asia. There is so much culture, so much diversity and just everything to do. I could stay in Japan for years if i was rich enough, you would never get bored. EVER! There is an excellent safari in Japan called Fuji safari park. I would highly recommend this too, it is so fantastic for people who want to get up close to elephants, they have african as well as asian elephants. They are really well looked after, with really nice habitats that match where they come from. You can see the new areas of japan in Tokyo, you can see the beautiful countryside near mount fuji, ancient ruins, temples and loads of other things. Basically, japan is amazing and i wouldn't give up the opportunity to visit there, for an all round view of Asia, japan is perfect
    Take all that lot with a pinch of salt.

- "Asia" is a big place. By seeing Japan, you will have seen...Japan. It is about as unique within Asia as is possible. And that's it. Fascinating though i'm sure it is, it'll demolish your funds in about 2 months. Going to Japan for elephants? Seriously? My local zoo has one. I hear some countries even have native ones...

- Hotels over hostes? You're in for a lonely time. Hotels are full of couples, families and business people. If you want to meet other travellers to explore the world with and share experiences, you need to be in a hostel - and most of them are really really nice.

- Thailand difficult/unsafe? I can think of countless less safe and harder to travel countries. I'd arge that Thailand may even be the easiest place in the world to travel for a first timer. And, contrary to your advice, i have always found villages and the countryside to be far safer than big cities.

Actually, ignore the post i quoted. I can only assume they've not travelled much and/or are the Japanese Tourism Board.

edit: It's touristy as hell, but for about $20 you can ride elephants until your arse is chaffed and then swim with them until you realise the handlers make them get up again by driving an ice-pick into their foreheads and yanking it upwards (though i dare say the beast can barely feel it) or go cuddle baby/big tigers for $30-50...and that's before you've strayed too far from Bangkok. Cringeworthy after you've seen them wild or in better conditions... Asia, where money can by anything
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I'd suggest that you don't blow it all at once. You can have a great holiday for a fraction of that 6 grand, if you shop around. If you make the money last several nice things I think you'll enjoy it a lot more than one big holiday that is over after a month or two.

I don't have any specific suggestions, just general advice not to spend it all on one holiday!

ReputationRep:
    What happens when a baby elephant turns into an fully grown elephant? I can imagine trying to squeeze an elephant into halls!

Only if I could have a pet elephant :rolleyes:
    Didnt think of that, just get Zoo Tycoon 2 and fill it will elephants :cyber:
    only £20 as well, should be just like the real thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spontogical)
    Yep :smug:

Hope OP comes back ok. :ahee:
    In one piece would be enough

ReputationRep:
    Well.. not loads but enough for now. I've inherited 6 grand
    Go to Ghana.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SebMurphy)
    I know right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brabzzz)
    Take all that lot with a pinch of salt.

- "Asia" is a big place. By seeing Japan, you will have seen...Japan. It is about as unique within Asia as is possible. And that's it. Fascinating though i'm sure it is, it'll demolish your funds in about 2 months. Going to Japan for elephants? Seriously? My local zoo has one. I hear some countries even have native ones...

- Hotels over hostes? You're in for a lonely time. Hotels are full of couples, families and business people. If you want to meet other travellers to explore the world with and share experiences, you need to be in a hostel - and most of them are really really nice.

- Thailand difficult/unsafe? I can think of countless less safe and harder to travel countries. I'd arge that Thailand may even be the easiest place in the world to travel for a first timer. And, contrary to your advice, i have always found villages and the countryside to be far safer than big cities.

Actually, ignore the post i quoted. I can only assume they've not travelled much and/or are the Japanese Tourism Board.

edit: It's touristy as hell, but for about $20 you can ride elephants until your arse is chaffed and then swim with them until you realise the handlers make them get up again by driving an ice-pick into their foreheads and yanking it upwards (though i dare say the beast can barely feel it) or go cuddle baby/big pandas and tigers for $30-150...and that's before you've strayed too far from Bangkok. Cringeworthy after you've seen them wild or in better conditions... Asia, where money can by anything

Considering that I have visited 25 countries in my time, including Japan, Thailand and China (Philippines too but only for 2 days) and i am a student taking his A-levels (not working for the japanese tourist board) i can safely say that Japan is the best place I have visited. A lot can be said about somebody who considers hotels to be lonely and isolated places. If you stay in the right one, they can be far from it. I have stayed in youth hostels, houses of locals, small b&b's and huge hotels with well over 300 rooms. My best place to stay was with a family in Australia last year. They feed you, and make sure you're ok. But you can do what you like, i ended up spending most of my time with their son who went all over sydney with me. Being with the locals is brilliant, when you can speak their language. But if you can't, it can feel like talking to a wall. This is my opinion, and obviously you don't agree with it. I don't know if you travel a lot, but by your reply, you may need to go on a few more trips.

ReputationRep:
    Considering that I have visited 25 countries in my time, including Japan, Thailand and China (Philippines too but only for 2 days) and i am a student taking his A-levels (not working for the japanese tourist board) i can safely say that Japan is the best place I have visited. A lot can be said about somebody who considers hotels to be lonely and isolated places. If you stay in the right one, they can be far from it. I have stayed in youth hostels, houses of locals, small b&b's and huge hotels with well over 300 rooms. My best place to stay was with a family in Australia last year. They feed you, and make sure you're ok. But you can do what you like, i ended up spending most of my time with their son who went all over sydney with me. Being with the locals is brilliant, when you can speak their language. But if you can't, it can feel like talking to a wall. This is my opinion, and obviously you don't agree with it. I don't know if you travel a lot, but by your reply, you may need to go on a few more trips.
    51 countries over 3 years of solid travelling, and revisiting 15 of those on a regular basis with work for the last 2.5 years. I appreciate there is more than one way to travel...i have tried most of them...but your advice is flat out wrong for someone considering their first ever backpacking trip...

edit: Just to rain on the parade a little...you're doing A-Levels? That means you're probably still unable to fly alone without a signed note from a guardian (and then only on direct flights), most western hostels/hotels wouldn't let you check in and many countries would not issue a visa for independent travel. Which means you probably did many of your 25 with family, a chaperone or school. Considering that... Unless of course you are a mature student.

ReputationRep:
    two hundred quid...

Na, just kidding, i've got 6 grand to play with
    I'd recommend going to Dubai and blowing it there.
    Or you could do the SMART thing and save it! Put it towards your house or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brabzzz)
    51 countries over 3 years of solid travelling, and revisiting 15 of those on a regular basis with work for the last 2.5 years. I appreciate there is more than one way to travel...i have tried most of them...but your advice is flat out wrong for someone considering their first ever backpacking trip...
    I would echo this.

OP, you are in a really great position to enjoy a lot of travelling. My advice:
    1) Split it up into different chunks. Don’t spend it all at once.
    2) Maybe budget to spend £1500 this summer, and £1500 for every other summer whilst you are at uni. This means you can do some travelling, relax, and see new places, without having to work your butt off in a PT job after a long academic year. And £1500 can go a long way if you budget well – I managed 10 weeks in SE Asia on about £1100 last year. Just try to get through the terms without dipping into your travelling pot.
    3) Definitely go hostelling. Half the fun of travelling is seeing new places, the other half is meeting other backpackers. Hostels are the most social places in the world, every night you will meet nice new people from every country on earth, and end up in random restaurants eating new food and having bizarre experiences. Hostels are also cheap and will let your travelling money go further.
    4) This is your first time travelling: so take it easy and don’t pressure yourself. Don’t fly across the world just yet – hop a flight into Europe, swim in the seas of Montegro, take ferries up the coastline of Croatia, get a train to Slovenia, party in Bratislava, see the architecture of Vienna. If you find that actually you hate it, a flight home at any time is just going to be £100. Head to Thailand or Ghana once you feel a bit more confident about striking out alone with a more substantial financial commitment.

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea where to go. I've got around 3 months from my last exam to the start of university. I've been talking around travelling for the last year but just haven't had the funds.

I have no idea where to go- I've only ever been to France, Spain and North America. I love elephants more than anything in the world so going to see them in Thailand/Asia would be amazing. Has anyone worked in a conservation for three weeks without it being a rip off?

I'm not sure if I should go alone or with a good friend. I'm quite happy doing things on my own as i'm used to my own company. What parts of Africa are safe enough for two 18-year-old females?

How do you plan a trip around South/East Asia? So many questions and I have no idea where to start.

Any advice welcomed.

My recommendation is to give yourself a grand to have a bit of fun with, go to a few festivals/road trips and put the rest away.

ReputationRep:
    OP: No elephants, but well worth a few months: www.intiwarayassi.org/

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.